• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 2 - Watford 2 a full blooded contest verdict thread

Really enjoyed the game, very entertaining, bit disapointing we didn't win but probably a fair result. Didn't look like Sako laid a finger on him but we were miles away and their first goal looked offside. Watfords one and two touch football seemed to create some big gaps in front and behind our back line.

Kuszac, fairly assured, could do nothing about the goals, poor kicking

Doherty, played ok, not terrible but nothing special

Hause, defensively ok but not a fullback, looks a bit lost when on the ball

Batth/Stearman, mostly good but poor for both their goals, simple balls down the middle, Stearman brought the ball out well a couple of times in sticky situations,

Price, played well all game, loads of energy, got his tackles in, made his passes ok, pleased for him to get on the scoresheet.

Mcdonald, excellent first half capped by his pass for the goal, second half quite poor, back to dallying on the ball and played a number of under and over hit passes to put us under pressure.

RVLP, best game I've seen him play, well involved and was cynically taken out a few times with no retribution to the offenders.

Henry, a worthwhile experiment but thought he was a bit lost, first touch and his passing let him down a few times.

Sako, 3-4 exciting, rampaging runs (no end result though) combined with a lot of dross, wants too long on the ball and tries to do too much on his own too often.

Afobe took his goal really well and had a couple of other chances but seemed a bit isolated at times.

Doyle, a bit surprised to see him come on, did ok, nice flick pass to put RVLP in and pressured their players in possession but would have preferred to see Dicko.

Would like to know whats going on with Golbourne, if he's carrying an injury why put him on the bench and where was Iorfa? injured?

That RonBurgundy idiot is spouting his shit on FF as well..

The Bournemouth player dived after receiving a face full of RVLP forehead???

Kenny said he would be up and running about in a moment which he was after the red was issued. They did it several times at Bournemouth (I was there this time). It seems to be a tactic. Lets face it there have been a lot of reds against Bournemouth this season, they go down as if shot at the slightest pretext and then surround the ref.

Kenny said he would be up and running about in a moment which he was after the red was issued. They did it several times at Bournemouth (I was there this time). It seems to be a tactic. Lets face it there have been a lot of reds against Bournemouth this season, they go down as if shot at the slightest pretext and then surround the ref.
Do you think the player dived following the clash of heads with RVLP in the home game?

Well done Mr Parkin.
A good effort.
Sorry I couldn't help you out, I was south of Dublin all afternoon.
And next week too, is Wolf Cub's 2nd birthday, and we're taking her to the zoo, so I'll miss that one too!

My take on why Sako was sent is based on my view and the ref was conned and badly let down by his assistant on that side of the pitch. In the speed in which the incident happened, from behind it is easy to think Sako has pushed him. That is because at the point he is pushed by the cheating cockrot his arms come up and out in defence (a natural movement), however from behind Sako, you won't see the push on him and then his arms move and the cheating cuntsack hits the deck and it appears he has been struck. So I can totally see why the ref was conned by the cheating fuckstick. His Assistant on the other hand was no more that 10 yards away and would have seen the whole incident.

Having just seen it on tv, its hard to comprehend how the linesman didn't say anything as it was that blatant and in front of him, even the 4th official could have had a quiet word (I know he shouldn't) as it was in front of him as well.

Why should the 4th official not say anything??? If he's not allowed to then what's the point in him being at the ground. The rules on officiating are pathetic!

Its all about not rocking the boat and keeping the jobs for the boys going.

The standard of refereeing this season is an absolute joke.

I would say that the big decisions by referees this season have, on the whole, been extremely poor and I cannot believe it is all down to physical decision making but rather a mis-interpretation and mis-application of policy.

There are a few occasions when poor ref. decisions are caused by physical problems, usually not keeping up with play, and referees are just making 'educated' guesses and waving cards to enforce those guesses, usually yellow cards as these can't be questioned.

Referees do a difficult job that carries a lot of responsibility and it's not for everyone. However, if you can't do it properly then don't do it at all.

Referees aren't helped by cheating cunts like FF yesterday tho.

The ref/officials were quite poor yesterday but agree with this, it seems to me that it would be very easy to change the rules so that video evidence can be used to retrospectively punish cheating players, of course the likes of Mourinho, Van Gaal anf other top team mangers would whinge initially but the authorities need to be strong and grow a pair. It would only take a couple of weeks before managers and players got to realize they can't get away with blatant cheating.

Missed the game yesterday but just watched the highlights. The first goal (and Afobe's from Tuesday) reminded me of Cook and Bull.

As for the sending off - clearly no contact by Sako but even if the referee is given the benefit of the doubt and made a genuine mistake, in the aftermath of the sending off there were half a dozen or more other incidents of players raising their hands against opponents and no action was taken. Surely once the referee has decided that Sako's reaction was worthy of a red card (regardless of whether it happened) every other player who committed a similar act should have been treated the same way.

Disappointing that we didn't hang on but I think there is a really decent team developing here and but for November this has been a pretty decent effort this season.

First off, had a great number of laughs with darlo & co prior to the game.

The match itself was played in a good atmosphere. Both sets of fans well up for it, both wanting their team to win. We knew we really needed to win, whereas Watford knew they could afford to "not lose".

Bit perplexed by the starting line up, however we started the game ok, playing the ball around. Several times we had good passages of play where we retained the ball well, looked to move it about. I suspect Henry's remit was to move across the front line giving options for a forward pass & also to give the centre backs something to think about.
Watford looked ok, however didn't really look to create much in front of goal.

Our first was superb. Very much a spark out of nothing, as McDonald hit a sublime pass to Afobe who finished with aplomb.

Watford equalise with a ball over the top, very route 1 which to be honest we should have dealt with. Very disappointing to see our defence not deal with such a hoof. Good finish though, to be fair. Darlo was at the time convinced Vydra was offside. I haven't seen a replay to tell me if that was the case.

Second half I suspect tthat KJ gave clear attacking instructions, as we were straight to it. A lot of opportunities came down the right, & VLP & Doherty repeatedly got into good/dangerous positions. However, we started to see a number of poor decisions.
If I were to be critical of VLP (& I think there's a lot of potential there) it is that sometimes he takes a couple of extra touches, or does a trick or 2 unneccessarily, & that allowed Watford to get back, whereas we had the opportunity to be 2 on 2 or similar.
We had 3 clear corners not given, & the ref wasn't able to keep up with play, hence made a number of poor decisions. Worse, the linesman that side saw none of the Watford touches (some were abundantly clear!) & it was he who didn't flag Vydra offside.

Inexplicably, we stopped venturing down the right so much about 20 mins into the 2nd half. However it was mainly Wolves attacking, and we eventually did get a corner or 2. The pressure told with a header falling to Hause who shot, & on going through a melee, the ball somehow ended in the net, probably via momentum, & Price is celebrating like a madman.

Their 2nd was way too similar to their first, making it even less acceptable.

Shennanigans in the last 15 mins, well, their numbers 31 & 4 should have been carded way earlier, and Forestieri was having a go, including a few kicks at Hause & other defenders as soon as he came on. I said to Darlo at the time he could get himself sent off. The ref finally gave their no 31 a yellow (way too late imo, & his reaction almost deserved a 2nd yellow, but then, he had been allowed to get away with it all game). A few short minutes later a similar challenge earned him a second yellow.

Realistically we could have pushed for a winner here. However the game almost descended into farce with Foristieri fouling sako, getting up, pushing him, then collapsing like a sniper has shot him from the stand. Phenomenally badly handled by the officials, & if this was in the PL, analysts on motd & the papers would have a field day. Shame they don't examine how poor refereeing decisions are in other leagues too.

Jack Price earned a potential nomination for POTS by cynically taking Forestieri out shortly after.

Ultimately it was a decent game of football. However we should have won that. I think Watford only had 3 real chances on goal all game, & we bossed most possession and chances, especially 2nd half. However, we're responsible for our own shortcomings - a few times we slowed the game down when we shouldn't have. Henry didn't quite work in the number 10 role. Sako only featured for the 2nd half really, & 2 very very poor goals to concede. That said, no-one played badly (minor errors more than anything), & when debating with darlo what change was needed, I really didn't know who I'd have taken off.

FWIW, I didn't think Doyle looked that poor. He was better than a 3. He got involved in a few tackles, and played one lovely through ball. At a risk of a few pelters, he could work with Afobe as a number 10. He's not the best, nor a long term option there though.

Finally, I'm sick of leaving the stadium bemoaning the refs performance. As said to friends during & after the game in the pub, almost every time I go I'm convinced the refs performance cannot be as bad as the last ref I saw. I really really don't want to be having a go at refs, & he wasn't the reason we drew yesterday, but again he was shocking, as was the one linesman. I'm starting to believe that is the standard, rather than me seeing poor refereeing decisions.

Cheers for the report LJ - gives context to what was coming over the commentary.

Note your point re Doyle, but can't see what he brought that wouldn't have been improved by introducing Dicko at that stage. Can't see us offering another contract to Doyle as someone else intimated, but if we did it would be at a level he probably wouldn't want to accept. Can see a move to the MLS taking place instead as was mooted as a loan earlier.

Back