• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 2 - Watford 2 a full blooded contest verdict thread

Don't know how to feel after that game, ups and downs in a game I feel we should have won. Losing two goals straight through the middle is criminal though so for that alone it was probably a deserved result. I couldn't quite understand the formation in the end, with Henry constantly drifting out wide leaving the middle over-exposed and three on the right and Sako seeming to drop to left back with Hause moving more central it looked like a bastardised 5-3-1-1, especially when Doyle joined the fray.

Kusczak - 6. A couple of routine stops and had no chance for either of the goals after being left exposed. Distribution left a lot to be desired.

Doherty - 6. No sense of positional play at all and played way too many short balls up the line to a tightly marked RvlP inviting pressure straight back onto us. No real support going forward but maybe that was because Henry kept wandering in front of him. Didn't really offer anything of note.
Batth - 6. A decent performance marred by the two goals, criminal for either central defender to be letting those through. A great perfectly-timed crunching sliding tackle in the first half to rescue Doherty.
Stearman - 6. As for Batth, not a bad performance overall but has to take his share of the blame for both goals.
Hause - 6. It looked like an awkward game for him, not too much to defensively but gave away possession far too much for my liking.

Sako - 6. Trickery and fancy footwork to wiggle his way our of some tight situations but not a lot of our play went down the left today and his input going forward was minimal. Missed his red card but not deserved from what I've read.
McDonald - 8. Covered a lot of pitch, some great raking long passes looking for Afobe, not afraid to stick a foot in and contributed both defensively and offensively.
Price - 8. Solid performance from the little 'un. Looked really up for it and grabbed a goal albeit somewhat fortunately, but if you don't hit it it don't go in!
Henry - 4. Constantly drifted out of position leaving us severely overloaded on the right and light in the middle. What he did do with the ball was mostly wasteful and/or gave away possession.
Van la Parra - 6. Always willing to run at their defence but simply way too many step-overs, if he'd delivered the ball at the first attempt on one or twelve occasions it would have been a much better performance.

Afobe - 8. Great work rate and a superb finish and went close with a header that was tipped just over.

Doyle - 3. One nice pass over the top for Afobe but beyond that offered next to nothing.

Gomes 9 - Fantastic assist for Price's goal, one of the best goalkeeping performances I've seen at Molineux.

Also did a bit of Paddy spotting outside the Billy Wright stand.

attachment.php

Yeah that's right and we'll have finally got rid of the last high earner in Doyle so should help with budgets etc. If Afobe carries on like this there will be interest by January I'm sure, but if that's the case we'll probably be near the top of the league if we're still in the Championship and I'd have thought he'd be happy to help us get to the Prem. He had lots of options when he joined us don't forget.

It's the cynic in me but Doyle's recent reappearance in the team gives me the sinking feeling we may try to extend his contract.

That kid dropped his inflatable clappers in the road and I had to pick them up for the lazy so-and-so. Did I get a thank you? Not a word. The youth of today.....

We've been very lucky with the other results, again. Probably jinxing it, but I'm really starting to think we're going to sneak 6th or 5th.

That kid dropped his inflatable clappers in the road and I had to pick them up for the lazy so-and-so. Did I get a thank you? Not a word. The youth of today.....

I did see that. I was going to come over but I had the teapot lids in tow and I wasn't dragging them over the Waterloo Road in that traffic. I did stick my thumb up a couple times but you ignored me quite nonchalantly.

Enjoyed that game more so than any other this season. We more than matched them and demonstrated the quality we have. Pity about the cheat but that's bred into them these days

I did see that. I was going to come over but I had the teapot lids in tow and I wasn't dragging them over the Waterloo Road in that traffic. I did stick my thumb up a couple times but you ignored me quite nonchalantly.

I was listening to Machine Head and planning how to get out of a trip to Florida...

What a fantastic game of football, end to end stuff

Pity about the fat tosser who thought he was a referee

What a fantastic game of football, end to end stuff

Pity about the fat tosser who thought he was a referee

Couldn't agree more on both points. It was excellent, despite the efforts of a very poor official.

Disappointing that we didn't take all 3 points and especially considering the goals we conceded. 2 straight balls over the top and both Vydra and Deeney got in between and beyond Stearman and Batth.

Kuszczak - 7 - Didn't have any chance with the goals and didn't really have anything to do apart from fetch it out of the net. Kicking isn't great but it really isn't a big issue.

Doherty - 6 - had an easier job because Watford didn't put anyone up against him and did ok but he didn't get forward especially in the first half as much as he should have. Positional sense still isn't great either.

Batth - 6 - I think he's more at fault than Stears for the second goal as it seemed he was a little bit deeper and didn't really communicate. I would like to see it again though to be sure. Awful when the ball is at his feet, his first thought is to just hoof it.

Stearman - 7 - Better than Batth with his all round game but was at fault for the first and second to some degree.

Hause - 6 - Looks a good player but he's definitely a centre back. Doesn't look comfortable with the amount of times he gets on the ball and doesn't get forward. Not sure why Golbourne is not playing. His shot was deflected in by Price for our second.

McDonald - 8 - Great pass for the first goal to Afobe and it definitely looks like we have the McDonald back of last year.

Price - 7 - He's solid and you know what you are going to get from him but he's just a bit safe for me. Scored but didn't know anything about it and Gomes dropped it in.

VLP - 8 - Was a threat all afternoon but we just didn't get it to him quick enough in the first half. I understand why some will be frustrated that he doesn't put the ball in but quite often he only had Afobe to hit as we just don't get enough bodies forward.

Henry - 6 - Did ok but not really suited to the position he was asked to play. We are crying out for someone to play here who can link play and have a real effect on the game.

Sako - 6 - Awful in the first half but did improve in the second. To be fair Paredes defended well against him all afternoon and didn't give him anything.

Afobe - 8 - Great run and finish to make it 1-0. He looks a real player but we left him isolated far too often and didn't get players around him like Watford did around Deeney or Vydra.

SUB

Doyle - 3 - Played one good ball but i don't understand why he is coming on instead of Dicko, Edwards or even Jacobs. Was anonymous apart from that one ball.

What was most noticeable for me was how interchangeable Vydra and Deeney were and how it caused us problems when they got it into them. They got players in and around them much better than we did with Afobe and if we managed to do that we would be much more of a threat.

Have you got a score for Afobe Slink? Looks like it is missing. Otherwise I think a very fair and accurate verdict.

Have you got a score for Afobe Slink? Looks like it is missing. Otherwise I think a very fair and accurate verdict.

I have now.

Just thought i would also add, first game of the season for me and the atmosphere was great. Fuck have i missed going to games.

I thought the atmosphere was excellent today. Watford fans made some good noise at times as well.

Seen the Sako incident again! He doesn't even do anything! When is arms get raised he doesn't even come close to his face or any part of him at all! It really is bizarre why FF would suggest he did and 2 why the officials fell for it!

I wish he could get some lengthy ban, 5 or 6 games and a huge fine. But he won't, spineless wankers

Seen the Sako incident again! He doesn't even do anything! When is arms get raised he doesn't even come close to his face or any part of him at all! It really is bizarre why FF would suggest he did and 2 why the officials fell for it!

I wish he could get some lengthy ban, 5 or 6 games and a huge fine. But he won't, spineless wankers

My take on why Sako was sent is based on my view and the ref was conned and badly let down by his assistant on that side of the pitch. In the speed in which the incident happened, from behind it is easy to think Sako has pushed him. That is because at the point he is pushed by the cheating cockrot his arms come up and out in defence (a natural movement), however from behind Sako, you won't see the push on him and then his arms move and the cheating cuntsack hits the deck and it appears he has been struck. So I can totally see why the ref was conned by the cheating fuckstick. His Assistant on the other hand was no more that 10 yards away and would have seen the whole incident.

Foul to Wolves and a yellow for the cheating cunt. Sako was unjustly treated. He did nothing wrong at all.

Back