• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 2 - Fulham 0 the 'Simples really' verdict thread

I don't think I've ever been to a game more confident of a win and felt completely confident of that win during the game. Teams have to press us to have any chance, the second half of the season may be more challenging, but at the moment you can't see anything other than a Championship at the end of the season.

I actually thought for much of the first half we weren't all that great, if anything they had some control in terms of possession. But we scored 2 really well taken goals from our only attempts on target and they looked like they would only score if we made a mistake. The 2nd half was a different story, we were so much in control it was incredible. We dominated them in every aspect, could and should have scored one or two more goals and Ruddy could have got out his slippers, pipe and newspaper he had that little to do. In the end it was a piece of piss.

I don't think I've ever been to a game more confident of a win and felt completely confident of that win during the game. Teams have to press us to have any chance, the second half of the season may be more challenging, but at the moment you can't see anything other than a Championship at the end of the season.

I won't hear any of that talk until May 2018.

Impressive stats for Barry Douglas: seem to remember Villa fans took the piss when we signed him for £1m on the day they signed Terry for £1m a week

I actually thought for much of the first half we weren't all that great, if anything they had some control in terms of possession. But we scored 2 really well taken goals from our only attempts on target and they looked like they would only score if we made a mistake. The 2nd half was a different story, we were so much in control it was incredible. We dominated them in every aspect, could and should have scored one or two more goals and Ruddy could have got out his slippers, pipe and newspaper he had that little to do. In the end it was a piece of piss.

Agreed, mind you we were watching it together, so I kind of knew that already! It is astonishing to see the progress this team has made under Nuno in such a short space of time. Players that can control a ball first touch, pass and move, oh how we have longed for this style of football for a good long while and now it's there before our eyes.

Also, whilst you could choose the performances of Neves, Boly, Bonatini (who is such a find), I have to give a mention of Coady who was again superb and some of the long passes he made might go unseen, due to having Neves in our team.

Also, what is very pleasing, being based in the NE, was the Toon fans saying how good we look and there are a few I know from work who are saying we will walk the league. I am outwardly maintaining the 'there is long way to go yet' stance, inwardly I am thinking yep!

Last edited:
Impressive stats for Barry Douglas: seem to remember Villa fans took the piss when we signed him for £1m on the day they signed Terry for £1m a week
Yeah, have been more impressed by him than Vinagre..but good to have two competing for that spot

Interesting comparison with Newcastle at the same stage last season. After 16 games they were 12-1-3 For 34 Against 13, so 37 points compared to our 35. Those 34 goals did include a 6-0 against QPR and I think it is fair say we haven't had an "everything clicked" game yet.

Personal view on last night was that a few of the players - Jota especially - looked tired playing 3rd game in days. But what a comfortable win - as someone has said, Boly didn't even break sweat. Well earned rest now and let's just hope Cardiff and the Blades screw up this afternoon

That was my take too, although I think once we got the goal our first half tactic was to let them over play and hit them on the counter attack.

I won't hear any of that talk until May 2018.
I agree, long way to go and all that, and I think teams will be a lot more cynical against us second time round, but still at the moment I can only see injuries stopping us.

That was my take too, although I think once we got the goal our first half tactic was to let them over play and hit them on the counter attack.

I agree with that too. Then whatever Nuno said at half time we came back out and pressed them, stepped up our own tempo on the ball and decided to drop our defence a bit deeper to draw Fulham out further. Absolute tactical masterclass and sheer dominance from Nuno, Neves, Saiss, Bonatini and my MOtM Boly.

Comfortable win. When we pressed them they didn’t have a clue and had a 10 minute spell in the second half where they were trying to let us score.

Shame we couldn’t make our dominance pay and win this 3 or 4 nil.

Whats gone wrong for Fulham? Pretty much the same team except Cairney is missing and they sold Aluko. If Graham can’t get a look in compared to some of the shire they had in forward positions then he’s in trouble.

I agree, long way to go and all that, and I think teams will be a lot more cynical against us second time round, but still at the moment I can only see injuries stopping us.

True but I think for the first time I can remember we have one hell of a reserve side as well. I think Neves, Jota and Leo are 3 that we really don't have the quality to replace, but you look at the strength in depth we have and Nuno's influence and it's extremely promising.

And I'm sure we'll only strengthen further in January.

Right now, everything points towards promotion. There's still a lot of work to be done and we'll lose more games but I'm very confident with the way we react to defeats and the quality within the squad.

Ronan and Hause can't even get in the side, Costa is yet to regain last season's form, we can't forget about Gibbs-White and we seem to have a plethora of good centre halves who have all done very well this season. My 6th choice CB is currently in the XI on merit.

Ruben Vinagre can't even get a game at the moment - it's ridiculous!!

Hope Neves comes back from international break and puts that kind of performance in each game. Feel he stepped up so that's the level to play at now. I think it might show more now when he has an off-game...

Just so happy we have took control of things and left ourself untouchable at the top. Great stuff!

I had Saiss first goal and 4-1, oh well, I'll take it!

Coady was brilliant last night, such a good player and leader in the back 3.

Coady is probably Nuno's greatest achievement. Even Doherty looks alright at the moment.

On the other hand this team won't need much motivation in the return against Cardiff and have learned a lot in a short time

Back