• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 2-1 Tottenham: Verdict Thread

Just watched the GON interview, comes across well. I like the insight he gives into Pablo 'forcing his hand' into giving him some minutes due to training so well this week.

He also seems to be emphasising us being a pretty good team to watch and he's right. Him and his staff have done a good job of minimising a lot of the over-cautious play/mentality that we've had since the last Nuno year (!). Obviously would be nice to get a few more clean sheets, but it's always good to see goals...

I shouted so loud at the winner that I have hurt my throat and gave myself a headache that is still lingering even now, convinced its linked to my tinnitus but it feels slightly like a mild concussion. And it's slightly embarrassing to admit that shouting has caused all this!

Just watched the GON interview, comes across well. I like the insight he gives into Pablo 'forcing his hand' into giving him some minutes due to training so well this week.

He also seems to be emphasising us being a pretty good team to watch and he's right. Him and his staff have done a good job of minimising a lot of the over-cautious play/mentality that we've had since the last Nuno year (!). Obviously would be nice to get a few more clean sheets, but it's always good to see goals...
Totally agree, also like the fact that GON always heaps the praise on the players, the desire to go and win yesterday seems a lifetime since we had to endure the horseshoe of doom. I also believe that Toti really dreams of being an attacking midfielder

Totally agree, also like the fact that GON always heaps the praise on the players, the desire to go and win yesterday seems a lifetime since we had to endure the horseshoe of doom. I also believe that Toti really dreams of being an attacking midfielder

I didn’t catch the second half but I watched the first of Bournemouth/Newcastle and the former reminded me so much of us last season: slow, laboured build up play with players not taking risks and having zero confidence. We are not like that at all now - it’s so incisive and everyone knows where each other are. Sometimes the final ball or pass is dog shit, but the build-up is a joy and we are catching teams out.

What O’Neil has done is man managed them really. RAN still does some ridiculous tricks, Cunha still takes on one too many men sometimes, but he has given them the confidence that those things will work out sometimes and the tactical discipline that you can do it, but there’s a time and a place. RAN is another along with Cunha, Neto (to some extent) and Hwang who has come on in leaps and bounds.

Just realised we were attacking the NB 2nd half. Even more annoyed I couldn’t go yesterday now.

Just watched the MOTD highlights and we so often had 5 men across the forward line, even in the 90th minute. Absolutely bonkers.

I didn’t catch the second half but I watched the first of Bournemouth/Newcastle and the former reminded me so much of us last season: slow, laboured build up play with players not taking risks and having zero confidence. We are not like that at all now - it’s so incisive and everyone knows where each other are. Sometimes the final ball or pass is dog shit, but the build-up is a joy and we are catching teams out.

What O’Neil has done is man managed them really. RAN still does some ridiculous tricks, Cunha still takes on one too many men sometimes, but he has given them the confidence that those things will work out sometimes and the tactical discipline that you can do it, but there’s a time and a place. RAN is another along with Cunha, Neto (to some extent) and Hwang who has come on in leaps and bounds.

We get (and got) in so many good positions where if the final action was anywhere near what you’d expect we’re getting a decent chance. For example they did it once and scored whereas we didn’t actually work Vicario despite being in as good situations.

I thought that as long as we executed a pass once into the box we’d get the goal but the more time passed on I did think it was going to be another one of those days where it just won’t go in.

But Cunha executed possibly one of the hardest balls out of the lot until that point, even though Sarabia still had tons to do, but after that outrageous touch he’s then put it away fantastically.

Sarabia then manages to execute a pass just as tough and the rest is history.

As TT aluded we are just going to have to accept that with these attacking players/WBs we are are going to be wasteful. But if we keep getting there then we will get it right hopefully enough times to win the game. I don’t think we are particular leaky either. A goal that could have been avoided (they will say well worked), but other than that restricted them to little.

Just watched the MOTD highlights and we so often had 5 men across the forward line, even in the 90th minute. Absolutely bonkers.
Yes one of the reasons we are much better to watch is the willingness to commit men forwards with a faster tempo to the game. Combine that with having several attacking players who can drive the ball upfield and put their defence on the back foot.

What impressed me most about yesterday was how determined we were in the press all game. Even the winner came about by us hunting in numbers for the ball still at 95+ mins.

Bournemouth fans were divided on him but all agreed that they were defensive and that much of the football was dire. I was hoping he'd set them up like that because they were shit and had just got tonked 9 nil rather than some philosophy. That appears to be the case.

As TT aluded we are just going to have to accept that with these attacking players/WBs we are are going to be wasteful. But if we keep getting there then we will get it right hopefully enough times to win the game. I don’t think we are particular leaky either. A goal that could have been avoided (they will say well worked), but other than that restricted them to little.

I think this is something O’Neil said in one of his very first interviews - that he knows the problem with Wolves, not enough men in the box and not enough commitment/confidence in the attacking play. Correct me if I’m wrong, of course. And his words were similar to yours: keep getting there and something will come off.

The defence is an odd one. A lot of the goals this season have been down to silly errors or lapses in concentration which this league - and a lot of the sides we’ve played so far - will punish you for. I think on the whole the defence was very good yesterday and we do defend well as a team, it can be a bit last ditch but it reminds me a lot of how the defence was set up under Nuno.

Bournemouth fans were divided on him but all agreed that they were defensive and that much of the football was dire. I was hoping he'd set them up like that because they were shit and had just got tonked 9 nil rather than some philosophy. That appears to be the case.

Same as Lopetegui last season. I would say the football was dire on the whole (that’s not me slighting him) but that’s just how you set up a firefighting team when you need to start getting results quickly.

I think this is something O’Neil said in one of his very first interviews - that he knows the problem with Wolves, not enough men in the box and not enough commitment/confidence in the attacking play. Correct me if I’m wrong, of course. And his words were similar to yours: keep getting there and something will come off.

The defence is an odd one. A lot of the goals this season have been down to silly errors or lapses in concentration which this league - and a lot of the sides we’ve played so far - will punish you for. I think on the whole the defence was very good yesterday and we do defend well as a team, it can be a bit last ditch but it reminds me a lot of how the defence was set up under Nuno.

With a back 3 I think we've been very comfortable. Suits Kilman and allows us to play Toti which gives us a lot more pace. Going forward we either need quality CBs for a 4 or a right wing back who can cross and shoot.

With a back 3 I think we've been very comfortable. Suits Kilman and allows us to play Toti which gives us a lot more pace. Going forward we either need quality CBs for a 4 or a right wing back who can cross and shoot.

I think I would be looking to a RWB and a winger for the January window. We’ve only really got Neto, Bellegarde was OK yesterday but is clearly being asked to play a position he isn’t entirely comfortable with.

Back