• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 1-2 Newcastle: Verdict Thread

Yep because ignoring the terrible results/performances under Lage at the end of his first season ended well...

The situation is frighteningly similar.
You can blame GON to some extent but look at his options on the bench. Howe makes three huge changes at half time and it changes the game ultimately. We don't have any strength in depth although it is arguably better than the end of last season.

Trying to look at it from GON's point of view, he went with Doc to replace Semedo as he wanted experience. And Doc hasn't been as bad as some have painted until today. So it was an understandable change. Sure he could have gone with Lima but I honestly don't think Lima would have done any better defensively.

And, much will be made of Doc's awful contribution but we also need to level some blame at Lemina for the first goal and Cunha for the missed chances. That said, that was a fine save from Pope to stop the equaliser.

As for comparison between Lage's team and this. This one has far more talent, skill level and determination. As I said, let's see what happens when we play teams mid to lower level. If results don't come then, then changes will have to be made and that means replacing the manager or spending more money in January as we did before.

Sorry but this kind of huge space in front of your own defence is unforgiveable when a winger is cutting inside. Doc didn't do a great job of staying with him, but he'd at least expect some help defensively in central areas, and I don't think you can lay the blame 100% at his feet.

Sorry but this kind of huge space in front of your own defence is unforgiveable when a winger is cutting inside. Doc didn't do a great job of staying with him, but he'd at least expect some help defensively in central areas, and I don't think you can lay the blame 100% at his feet.

Sorry, but defending involves stopping your opponent threatening your goal and having a shot. Doc failed at both. He was done for pace and should have taken one for the team to stop that threat. A yellow is far better than what did happen. The shape is just about OK IMO as are covering the space in the area but we probably can make it a little more compact if our forwards get back more.

Sorry, but defending involves stopping your opponent threatening your goal and having a shot. Doc failed at both. He was done for pace and should have taken one for the team to stop that threat. A yellow is far better than what did happen. The shape is just about OK IMO as are covering the space in the area but we probably can make it a little more compact if our forwards get back more.
I could give you at least 10 examples per game of a winger beating a defender with the ball. They don't all end in goals though.

Fucking frustrating again. After being dominated for 20 minutes, got in the game and I thought we were good value for our lead until the equaliser.
It looked like we were gunna try and see the game out, then another defensive fuckup/jammy deflection let's them back in it when they had run out of ideas.
Please, please Gary bring someone else on for Semedo, anyone, I'd take Sa at right back before Doc.
On the plus side we had looked pretty solid up till the equaliser but we can't keep giving teams freebies. Andre is a baller. Thought Larsen did quite well. Cunha is excellent.
Also if we play this style, we need to take more of our chances.

Too much is being laid on what happened at the end of last season.
No wins in 4 and only one draw is poor but you have to remember the teams we have played.
Let's judge when we play more of the middle / lower table teams.
Why? We don't only play the middle/lower table teams, you play everyone. Not sure if you saw, but Forest won at Liverpool yesterday - they didn't just write it off.

So we've played the sides that finished 2nd (fair enough), 6th (basket case club) 7th and 17th last season, and got together 1 point.

You can't just write off games until we get an 'easier run' - there aren't easy games in this league, and you can't write games off.

We were leading with 15 mins to go today, and a combination of negativity and poor substitutions have cost us.

Why? We don't only play the middle/lower table teams, you play everyone. Not sure if you saw, but Forest won at Liverpool yesterday - they didn't just write it off.

So we've played the sides that finished 2nd (fair enough), 6th (basket case club) 7th and 17th last season, and got together 1 point.

You can't just write off games until we get an 'easier run' - there aren't easy games in this league, and you can't write games off.

We were leading with 15 mins to go today, and a combination of negativity and poor substitutions have cost us.
Glad you mentioned Forest. We drew with them at their place just last week.
I'm not writing games off but merely trying to understand why we are where we are.
We don't have the resources of any of the clubs that have beaten us. That simple.

The team we got a draw against and that you may argue we'd compete against have also spent a fortune so we'll see what happens to them.

I'm not writing us off just yet. Seems some folks have done so or are just using the defeats to back up their negativity from last season. I saw enough today to suggest we'll be fine but there has to be improvement and there has to be more strength in depth for the squad.

That's enough Gary O'Neill for me.

Nowhere near good enough as a manager.

Doc sub, not picking Lima and putting Doyle in a midfield 2 all completely unforgivable. He just isn't anywhere near good enough.

Got to sack him now before it's too late.
Problem is, Jeff will wait until we lose games we should have realistic chances / more expectation of winning, and by then it'll be too late.

Really frustrating to watch, because it really wasn't all bad. We've got some quality - I like the look of Larsen and Andre was excellent, he's going to be very important for us. Some of our forward play was also promising.

The huge BUT here is our character when we concede. We look so weak at times, and we certainly never look like keeping a clean sheet.

Matt Doherty has no place being in this team, and it's criminal that he is 2nd choice RB in 2024. Where is Lima?

I am very concerned that the weak character throughout the team is going to hinder us massively. We don't have enough depth in key areas, and we are totally unable to contain anyone - we certainly can't control a game.

There's a lot wrong with the club at the moment and unfortunately that includes on the pitch. Unless we toughen up and show better character, we're in for a difficult, bleak season.

This is Gary’s system to a T.

The teams that go down are usually the ones that get zero unexpected points off the top sides. It's no good saying "let's see what happens." Forest just won away at Anfield. Where as we just let a team beat us that barely had to be competent for more than 4 minutes.
& who is the manager of Forest & which of his players is now deemed good enough for England?

Glad you mentioned Forest. We drew with them at their place just last week.
I'm not writing games off but merely trying to understand why we are where we are.
We don't have the resources of any of the clubs that have beaten us. That simple.

The team we got a draw against and that you may argue we'd compete against have also spent a fortune so we'll see what happens to them.

I'm not writing us off just yet. Seems some folks have done so or are just using the defeats to back up their negativity from last season. I saw enough today to suggest we'll be fine but there has to be improvement and there has to be more strength in depth for the squad.
But the negativity from last season is justified, that's now 1 win from 14 (against Luton) - last season ended poorly and has continued.

You can understand where we are so far, but our next 5 are....

Villa (a)
Liverpool (h)
Brentford (a)
City (h)
Brighton (a)

You can 'understand' us losing all 5 of those.

I don't care who you are, or who you've played, if you are on 1/2/3/4 points after 8 or 9 games, you're bang in trouble and it will take a long time to get out of it

That's enough Gary O'Neill for me.

Nowhere near good enough as a manager.

Doc sub, not picking Lima and putting Doyle in a midfield 2 all completely unforgivable. He just isn't anywhere near good enough.

Got to sack him now before it's too late.
GON did not sell Neto & Kilman. He needs better players on the bench to bring on - just like Newcastle.

Back