• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 1-2 Man City: Verdict Thread

thought so.
Was level with it and it didn’t look like a foul. Should have played it through or kept it. Not doing so led directly to the string of corners.

But of course mainly it was all Semedos fault apparently.

I have to give Gary credit, he finally made a significant change and it’s IMO quite obvious he’s either better at getting across his ideas in that formation or the players really are just more comfortable in those positions.

Either way, weak composure bites us again.

Not many other positives I can take.

The contact was well before the header, when he was onside. At the point of the header he was ducked and out of the way of the keeper's line of sight.

So I can see why they've overruled the on-field decision (which was offside BTW. The lino flagged late).

One of the worst and one sided referee performances I’ve seen in many a year. Didn’t even try to hide the fact he was doing everything possible to help City win. Then when he thinks they’ve finally got there, he has to go against VAR advice to let them keep the winning goal. Shocking referee & they’re not even trying to cover it up these days.

Anyway, I hate to make it about the cunT with a whistle.

Obviously City were the superior side, but we were good for a point given how much we dug in and the effort the players put in. Particularly Joao Gomes, Dawson, Santi, Semedo & JSL.

Feel sorry for the players this evening.

We now have a run ahead of us where we simply HAVE to win some games.

like I say, I thought we were actually really poor with the ball and with our forward play, but actually looked solid as a unit.....pretty much the opposite of every other game we have played this season. I don't suppose we can can do the two things at the same time can we gaz?

Teams that go down make silly mistakes, don't convert chances and have a number of hard luck stories. We tick every box.

Second half defensive discipline was much better than the first. Also kept the ball better which is going to be crucial when we play those November and December games. Not sure if that was because of Doyle, but it coincided with him coming on. GON needs to make his call on which of his midfield 3 he's not playing. Shi and Hobbs will be seething if that's Andre.

I wouldn't have disallowed the winner, but showing the offside without the prior context sums VAR up. Not disallowing it when going to the monitor adds to my we're going down narrative.
I was pleased to see Doyle come on to add some control, but would have preferred if it had been for Lemina. Having said that Lemina dropping into the central position resulted in his performance improving. I thought that made us more balanced in midfield.

Then when he thinks they’ve finally got there, he has to go against VAR advice to let them keep the winning goal.
Sky failed to mention it but the on-field decision was a late flag for offside. Therefore in order to allow the goal they had to go to the monitor.

This is shit, he stopped the keeper, coming for the ball, then as the ball hits his head he moves, disgraceful.l decision

First up, that's probably as well as we can do in the current situation. It's not a sustainable way of playing. I don't think you can set up that way at Brighton next week, let alone Palace and Southampton at home. But for today - it was alright. They didn't have many clear chances at all and Haaland was as good as invisible.

Sa proved a point - I doubted his mentality after the League Cup shocker vs Brighton but he was right on it today. That's his shirt now, surely. The centre halves all played well. It's a lovely goal from us and had we gone 2-0 (Semedo has to score that)...who knows.

But we didn't retain the ball well at all, that's a disgracefully poor cameo from Guedes who shouldn't be getting any minutes, and we showed precious little idea of how to offer any kind of threat in the second half.

The refereeing is something else. Absolutely appalling. The winner...I can see the case either way. But we were told last season with the Kilman/Chirewa incident vs West Ham that there's no grey area, if he's offside in that situation then he's offside and there's no call to be made. How the FUCK is that any different? It's shocking officiating, Attwell hasn't got the balls to make a decision, the little cunt, and while I hate stupid conspiracy theories, I suspect if that's Brentford or Everton "scoring" against us...it doesn't get given.

A kick in the teeth. The effort was there, the spirit is still in the camp which is good, but we've come away with nothing. Again.
Sa was excellent.

Teams that go down make silly mistakes, don't convert chances and have a number of hard luck stories. We tick every box.

Second half defensive discipline was much better than the first. Also kept the ball better which is going to be crucial when we play those November and December games. Not sure if that was because of Doyle, but it coincided with him coming on. GON needs to make his call on which of his midfield 3 he's not playing. Shi and Hobbs will be seething if that's Andre.

I wouldn't have disallowed the winner, but showing the offside without the prior context sums VAR up. Not disallowing it when going to the monitor adds to my we're going down narrative.
I'd agree with most of this. However, Ait-Nouri went wandering at least twice in the second half and as you mentioned, Doyle was there to cover for him. I just don't like Ait-Nouri doing that when you are battling for a point. The risk is too high.

I have to give Gary credit, he finally made a significant change and it’s IMO quite obvious he’s either better at getting across his ideas in that formation or the players really are just more comfortable in those positions.

Either way, weak composure bites us again.

Not many other positives I can take.
No credit from me. There was little else we could do other than block the middle of the pitch out and stink it out. That’s because we’ve failed to develop any credible alternative pattern of play and haven’t won a game for ages. So this doesn’t help at all when it comes to next week, in fact it’s worse as he’s still there with VAR to blame but no way forward.

Its subjective therefore you stay with the onfield call surely?

Thought for the most part we did well, Cunha was a bit anonymous and RAN gavecthe ball away too easily when he was high up, thought we deserved the point.
I've no idea why Squeak hates Semedo so much, thought it was his best performance of the season, he was so bad Doku was swapped to the other side.
Our set piece defence was much better apart from the goal. I think its a goal, but then again I thought Kilmans last season was a goal.
Classy goal from us.
Also thought Lemina and Gomes played well, simple roles in a simple system.

One of the worst and one sided referee performances I’ve seen in many a year. Didn’t even try to hide the fact he was doing everything possible to help City win. Then when he thinks they’ve finally got there, he has to go against VAR advice to let them keep the winning goal. Shocking referee & they’re not even trying to cover it up these days.

Anyway, I hate to make it about the cunT with a whistle.

Obviously City were the superior side, but we were good for a point given how much we dug in and the effort the players put in. Particularly Joao Gomes, Dawson, Santi, Semedo & JSL.

Feel sorry for the players this evening.

We now have a run ahead of us where we simply HAVE to win some games.
Agree with the first para - thought it was a goal, but so many dodgy decisions going against us - the Kovacic one on the edge of the box, the one where Gomes uses his body to win the ball, etc etc

Back