• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 1 - 0 Millwall: A Nervous Cruise

With the position based game we dont chase it but try and develop opportunities without overextending ourselves. We imposed our game on Millwall, gained an advantage and were comfortable with that advantage throughout the remaining part of the game. We dont panic and chase a second goal, the players believe in Nunos process.

Yep, I meant to take a picture from my view in the South Bank of exactly that. At times one of the centre midfields (often Saiss) moved up a line to as did a defender from the back three. Which negates the worry about us having three centre halves doing nothing on the half way line. The plan for teams sitting off us is there and I didn't doubt Nuno had one to be fair!

Previously Willy Boly had done this naturally, adding another number to a higher line. Both Miranda and Batth moved forward yesterday with more confidence than we would have expected from them. We just dont get outnumbered in key areas of the field.

Agree. If it had been a game where we failed to really test the keeper or chances went high and wide I would be concerned. Their keeper had to make 2 good saves from Leo, 1 from Saiss, Leo had a shot smack a defender in the head (who had no idea about it) that stopped it going in, Jota had on target shot deflected over. Jota had a chance miss by cm's

We made a couple of subtle changes to how we played v Boro & Cardiff - We had a player running into the space left by Leo when he came out or ran into space out wide and 1 of Neves or Saiss got closer to the forward line, so we didn't have 2 sitting players. Made a huge difference when it came to creating chances.

was flying out for a hol so not seen how we played but good to read this. the system needs that movement but it doesn't happen overnight with a new squad. I hope this develops into something special. same with Bright, he'll prob be a frustration at times but worth persisting with whilst we're winning. I'm sure they'll be working on his decisions in training. maybe half an hour a day blasting the ball at a wall Bobby charlton style would be good too, or is that too old school these days?

A massive difference for me this season is how intelligent our players are. Neves and Jota seem to play with the experience of much older pros despite being so young, Bonatini is a very clever player. Coady now appears to be able to dictate the play far better, Miranda is composed, Saiss was excellent and barely ever gave the ball away (those passing stats Penk posted are awesome).

I sat by a dunce who clearly doesn't understand our system. When we had players breaking from midfield into the Milwall half, Leo made so many clever runs which pulled defenders away from the runner giving them more space. The dude next to me hadn't got a scooby why he was doing this so resorted to 'fuckin' 'ell Blartini - gerrin the fuckin' box!'

I only thought one player was below par yesterday and that was Marshall who was miles off the pace. Otherwise I thought the rest of the side were really good. Yes, even Doherty - a few 2nd half deliveries aside. He didn't look out of place at all so fair play to him.

On Marshall I guess it was a good game to get him some fitness, we got the 3 points and a clean sheet so all good. With another game on Tuesday perhaps that's why Cav was only a sub yesterday

Yeah it will have done Marshall a lot of good, Nuno clearly rates him.

I imagine Bright and Cav could start Tuesday. And Douglas if just didn't want to risk him

On Marshall I guess it was a good game to get him some fitness, we got the 3 points and a clean sheet so all good. With another game on Tuesday perhaps that's why Cav was only a sub yesterday
Yeah that's what I thought - I'd be surprised if Marshall starts again on Tuesday. I reckon Bright will come in for him. Maybe Costa might make the bench?

Not seen Wolves live yet this season so a question, Coady appears reborn, but it sounds to me like Doc and Batth are much improved, both in fitness and decision making, is it down to having better players around them or Nuno's coaching.....or a bit of both? Is there more to come from the remnants of last seasons squad?

Primarily I think they are benefitting from a much higher level of coaching. Their weaknesses are being covered by the shape, style and then finally better players around them. But I can't emphasise enough how much better organised we are in and out of possession. And I reckon Nuno is far from happy with it yet.

Not putting up a blog today, going to wrap up the Millwall/Bristol games up all in one in midweek.

Batth was excellent yesterday, his kind of game but he won everything. Marshall as pointed out needs minutes, not sure why it takes so long for him to get fit, maybe we need to revisit this policy of not playing the seniors in the U23s. Second save by Ruddy at the end was very good, it was going right in the corner and he would have seen it late. Central midfield two did very well indeed but on that showing N'Diaye will be pushing them hard - great tackle to kick off his Wolves career, looks to have a bit of a turn of pace and wants to get forward. Jota tremendous and MOTM, wish the fans would stop fucking groaning every time Bright pauses in possession and we need Leo to stay fit as he's pivotal to our play (we knew that anyway).

Marshall as pointed out needs minutes, not sure why it takes so long for him to get fit
Don't follow him on social media, but does he still like to enjoy himself a bit? It's nice to see plenty of our new players posting photos of their home life on a Saturday night rather than pictures of them hanging of a wags arm in a Birmingham nightclub.

I don't think Marshall is on twitter or FB but I would doubt he's on the lash every weekend Nuno wouldn't have any of that.

He just seems like one of those that takes ages to get fit, he was exactly the same when he first joined.

His performance yesterday was miles better than Southampton so there is progress at least.

I imagine he will get more game time Tuesday hopefully at WB.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

I didnt go to Southampton but several times yesterday Wolves were knocking it around nicely and it was Marshall that made those cructial misplaced passes. Just seemed to me he didnt know what the hell he was doing, ambling around like a lost sheep. Very very poor and thats before any mention of fitness. For me he's miles away from anything, and as Dan mentioned a few days ago Cav will not step in to that side as he's fighting Jota for a role. Bright in for Marshall for Bristol City.

One thing from yesterday. It finally sounded like the new PA system had been turned up to 11.

One thing from yesterday. It finally sounded like the new PA system had been turned up to 11.

And as a result couldn't define what was being said - either that or my hearing is really starting to go!

We know we have brought in better quality players this year, but what has impressed me is that with proper coaching some of last year's crop actually look like they are able to control the ball & play football. Batth was surprisingly good given what we have seen in past years & to see Coady making 40yrd passes to the man is jaw dropping

Someone said our shortage of goals is not important as we are playing very well and creating chances. I won't argue with that, but we needs to put games like this to bed. We were far superior than Millwall yet it took a good save to prevent them taking a point back to London.

Someone said our shortage of goals is not important as we are playing very well and creating chances. I won't argue with that, but we needs to put games like this to bed. We were far superior than Millwall yet it took a good save to prevent them taking a point back to London.

Agree up to a point, but on another day that would have been a comfortable 3 goal win - a number of close shaves on their goal which were either well saved or hit a defender without him knowing much about it

We do need to that because the away team will always get one chance (and normally take it against us). I think after yesterday the fact we created chances and tested the keeper it won't be a major concern as we do that across 10 games and we will win by 2 or more goals a lot more than getting a 1-0 or a dreaded 1-1. If it had been a game where we scored and then struggled to do much else people would be worried.

We have scored 5 away from home, so we have goals in us. (7 if you count the Cup)

Back