• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 1 - 0 Millwall: A Nervous Cruise

Ultimately this is not really that relevant - we still won and it was a joy to watch us play cultured & on the whole imaginative football with players of skill that we have not seen at Molineux for some time.

Yes if we don't put chances away then we will lose games that we don't deserve to, but the Championship is not a league that you win without failing in some games that you shouldn't on the balance of play. Its still a much better experience this season.

There are people who discuss the merits of individual players, such as Doherty, Marshall and Bright, it doesn't mean they are not happy with the result or the way the team is playing. They are just discussing the game and our team, isn't that what a Forum is for?

Labelling people as negative, WUMs, boring or nonsensical, does nothing to aid discussion nor further the aims of the Forum in a positive, fair or friendly way. If you don't agree with something then by all means say so, but don't try to intimidate those you disagree with. It's a form of bullying.

There are people who discuss the merits of individual players, such as Doherty, Marshall and Bright, it doesn't mean they are not happy with the result or the way the team is playing. They are just discussing the game and our team, isn't that what a Forum is for?

Labelling people as negative, WUMs, boring or nonsensical, does nothing to aid discussion nor further the aims of the Forum in a positive, fair or friendly way. If you don't agree with something then by all means say so, but don't try to intimidate those you disagree with. It's a form of bullying.

Wise words

I totally agree. But we won't get away with one goal victories every home game. Better teams will punish us. We could and should have won by a country mile yesterday, the football we played deserved that.

But equally we won't score just one goal if we keep creating 20ish chances.

The Millwall keeper stood between us and a rout.He made three or 4 excellent saves. Agreed we could have conceded late but that's why we bought in Ruddy. So far he is doing his job very well. That was not a scratchy 1 0 like so many over the last two seasons. Yes it would have been more comfortable if we got a second but it really was not for the want of trying or creating. 4 clean sheets in 6 games while creating chances is still a massive improvement. Not at all displeased. If that is the standard of our performance at home this season I will take it as the benchmark tvm.

Pretty much exactly one year ago we played Burton at home and did indeed draw 1-1 with them grabbing an injury time equaliser. However the difference between the two games was night and day (Burton missed a pen for one thing and played the better football).

The Millwall keeper stood between us and a rout.He made three or 4 excellent saves. Agreed we could have conceded late but that's why we bought in Ruddy. So far he is doing his job very well. That was not a scratchy 1 0 like so many over the last two seasons. Yes it would have been more comfortable if we got a second but it really was not for the want of trying or creating. 4 clean sheets in 6 games while creating chances is still a massive improvement. Not at all displeased. If that is the standard of our performance at home this season I will take it as the benchmark tvm.

Agree with every word there Cyber. The win really never felt in doubt.

Yesterday was not the comprehensive scoreline that we would all want (& which the performance deserved), but I, for one, am happy with what I saw.

Last season whilst the match was the reason for coming up (& for me & many others there is a fair bit of time & cost involved in that) the best bit was meeting up with friends/fellow supporters. This year I am actually excited to see the match as well due to the quality of football on show from us.

Yes there will be matches when we are below par or out though tactically (even if they are somewhat negative ones ALA Cardiff). There will be matches where we dominate but hit the post 5 times & fail to score or the opposition keeper has the game of his life. We will concede then at some point with a header from a corner which takes 2 deflections so that we lose 1 - 0. Thats life which will kick you in the teeth on occasions.

The chance to see Neves (& Saiss and indeed Coady surprisingly) passing the ball 40yrds to the feet of another Wolves player, the Jota shimmy to confuse the opposition defender without actually moving the ball, a Miranda nutmeg, Doherty actually going past the fullback (this is purely in for Aiki's benefit) - this is what's worth coming up for.

I want us to win every time , I want us to get promoted, but mainly I want to see good football.

Pretty much exactly one year ago we played Burton at home and did indeed draw 1-1 with them grabbing an injury time equaliser. However the difference between the two games was night and day (Burton missed a pen for one thing and played the better football).
Not forgetting we played Paul smegging Gladon!

Not forgetting we played Paul smegging Gladon!

And Stears. Him who gave the pen away with a stupid handball.

Team: Ikeme; Doherty, Batth, Stearman, Borthwick-Jackson; Oniangue, Coady, Teixeira (Mason); Costa, Gladon (Bodvarsson), Cavaleiro (Edwards).

Burton had 18 shots!

I was at that game. And absolutely fuming when we conceded at the end.

I'm hoping this season's game at Burton won't be like last season either. Where Costa completely disappeared and Marshall looked the unfittest, shittest footballer in the ground. But at least Kites won't score against us this time.

I was at that game. And absolutely fuming when we conceded at the end.

I'm hoping this season's game at Burton won't be like last season either. Where Costa completely disappeared and Marshall looked the unfittest, shittest footballer in the ground. But at least Kites won't score against us this time.

Burton away was where Lambert bizarrely decided to put Edwards back at #10 out of nowhere and put him there for the entire month of February, during which we lost every single game. Even more infuriating because he was actually playing really well (not just by his standards, legitimately well) as a CM, we were doing really well with a nice little run through December and January and then we moved him to where he can't bloody play for no reason whatsoever.

As is often the case these days (unfortunately!), I didn't get to Molineux to see this one, but I watched the 90 minutes on Wolves TV yesterday. I thought we looked the better team throughout and created several good chances which on another day could have gone in. Their keeper had a good game and did his job, namely keeping us out. And when he was beaten, a defender cleared the goal-bound shot. Having said all that, and with one eye on the earlier discussions between Frank and Johnny, Millwall managed to create that one chance at the end which Ruddy saved comfortably. However, it has to be said that the ball travelled through a crowd of players to get to Ruddy and any slight deflection could have easily taken it past him and it would have ended 1-1. An undeserved draw for Millwall on the balance of play and chances created, but if we can't get that second goal, then this possibility always exists (Burton last season is a good example). Overall, I am extremely pleased with the progress Nuno has made since he came here and agree with other posters that our goal threat should increase when Costa gets back.

Others have also noted that we could have paid the price for not killing the game off. Yes we got away with it yesterday, but we won't every game. Teams will come to Molineux intent on frustrating us, and maybe catching us on the break. In my opinion that is a fair observation to make.

The run of the ball dictates that every team have a chance in every match but Wolves by employing a system of play which helps control events and performances enhances Wolves opportunities.
We are now able to see more consistency both individually and within a team ethic which enables good points accumulation. I wouldn't bet against Wolves this season on an individual match or long term basis.

"We need to score more goals and kill the games, we need to not suffer like we suffered in this game. In the last minute it nearly cost us. That is what we need to improve." Diogo Jota (pant wetter)

"We need to score more goals and kill the games, we need to not suffer like we suffered in this game. In the last minute it nearly cost us. That is what we need to improve." Diogo Jota (pant wetter)

I think you've missed the point with your little bracketed comment. Nobody has said that we don't need to improve, what I get fed up with is the 'what if that team had scored'. Millwall didn't score and we didn't score more than 1. We did enough to win that game, no ifs or buts, that's what happened.

Nuno said himself the scoreline was too narrow and I'd be worried if a manager came out and said he was happy with only scoring one goal.

Or are certain older posters only happy if they have something to moan about?

I think you've missed the point with your little bracketed comment. Nobody has said that we don't need to improve, what I get fed up with is the 'what if that team had scored'. Millwall didn't score and we didn't score more than 1. We did enough to win that game, no ifs or buts, that's what happened.

Nuno said himself the scoreline was too narrow and I'd be worried if a manager came out and said he was happy with only scoring one goal.

Or are certain older posters only happy if they have something to moan about?

Oooo, I love a good moan! ;)

Back