• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Winter Improvement Thread (aka Winter Squad Weakening Thread and TWF Suicide Watch)

I've never known Clough as a striker. Always been a midfielder in my eyes.

Replacement for Edwards behind the striker. Yeah right!

Clough and Le Fondre would probably need to be different tactics just because of the personnel. We have to wait and see I guess, but I would be very happy to see Clough in our colours.

Admit it, you just want to see Bolton crying about losing him for peanuts...

He'd be completely wasted in our current set up.

Exactly, i think a change of game plan would be the biggest thing that could happen this month. Obviously we need signings but like you say Clough would be wasted in our current set up so no point in signing him if it stays like it is.

Exactly, i think a change of game plan would be the biggest thing that could happen this month. Obviously we need signings but like you say Clough would be wasted in our current set up so no point in signing him if it stays like it is.

If we're trying to look at it in a positive light, in January 2014 Ken got rid of Griffiths and Doyle, switched us from a 4-4-1-1 that was a bit predictable, got his new signings in a different shape and we looked miles better.

I'm not confident that similar will happen but there is at least some precedent for us shifting emphasis mid-season.

Clough is definitely a striker btw.

$#@!ing hell you'll try anything!! It's Jackett who has tactically failed we have had the players at the club. I really do believe that!

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk
It is quite possible that Kenny was promised more ambition from the club. If his tactics or use of players is good, is a different debate.

Nope - that is just a happy bonus. I rate him very highly.

As do I. He ran us ragged in the 2-2 game last year and while he didn't see much of the ball in the 2-1 game still managed to pop up with the winner. 2nd best opposing centre forward I saw last season behind Packie Bamford.

If we do manage to get our hands on Clough we'd be some threat from set pieces with Graham & Clough standing over the ball.

He's not that bad, and he came into a desperately poor team last time round but I certainly don't want us to buy him. Much rather Clough and another.

Although some now seem to think on twitter that Clough will sign for Bristol City tomorrow.

Although some now seem to think on twitter that Clough will sign for Bristol City tomorrow.

People must be mad if they think Wolves are going to spend £3m on this lad. They wouldn't spend £3m on Messi.

Graham would be a reasonable option in our 414 1 formation. Lafferty would be another. I'd rather kill the tactic, but if you are going down that route you may as well play a forward that suits it.

Somebody pass me a gun.

After you. Dont tell me we are lining up Sagbo to just in case. What next .... I here big Leons got a few goals this season?

Seriously, This has to be a wind up. Surely Clough will come here and surely its worth it at that money. My guess would be a full time deal for ALF as well now we have a bit of cash and hopefully 6ft 4 inches of Williamson and M Bengue to complete our window. Do that and we are looking better than we were before the window even without Afobe. Our style would have to change as neither Clough nor Alf is tall enough for hoofball. If we also have Graham as another option I could live with it but only ON TOP of these deals please

The £3 million fee quoted could be the £1.5 that it was widely quoted that Bolton were after plus various add-ons. Obviously it's hard to know specifics of deals from the outside as god knows where the info comes from that fans get.

Must be massively difficult for clubs like Wolves when the likes of Bristol City inflate the market.

A signing all the fans could do with at this time, it ain't a lot of fun being a Wolves fan at the moment.

Will it happen?, I suspect not.

Seriously, This has to be a wind up. Surely Clough will come here and surely its worth it at that money. My guess would be a full time deal for ALF as well now we have a bit of cash and hopefully 6ft 4 inches of Williamson and M Bengue to complete our window. Do that and we are looking better than we were before the window even without Afobe. Our style would have to change as neither Clough nor Alf is tall enough for hoofball. If we also have Graham as another option I could live with it but only ON TOP of these deals please
KJ has proven that he can get us playing nice, attractive passing football before - and if the board decide to keep him at the helm (which appears likely given our recent run of results) then he can do it again with time on his side and the right players in place.

I strongly believe that the recent change in tactics is down to our slide down the table. KJ has stumbled across a formula that, on the scoreline at least, is working. I don't think anyone would disagree that the performances have been a shambles and I've commented a few times during matches that they've "made my eyes bleed", and I still stand by that - but with a bit of a cushion between the bottom 3/4 and some new faces in place by the end of this month, I'm confident KJ can get us firing again and playing some better football. The squad is capable of it and I'm sure the Afobe situation hasn't been helping morale in the dressing room.

It was just over a year ago that I remember sitting in Molineux and watching Ikeme play it out from the back to the screams from the crowd of "geeeerrrit fooorward", now we've resorted to a more direct style of play and that's wrong too. It's a thankless task being a football manager - when things go right, you're amazing - and when things go wrong, you need to be sacked. I don't dispute KJ has taken even the most staunch Wolves supporter to their limits at times this season, but I do believe we can start to turn a corner with the correct investment in the squad this month*.

*disclaimer: but only if Dave Edwards is dropped.

Back