• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Winter Improvement Thread (aka Winter Squad Weakening Thread and TWF Suicide Watch)

KJ has proven that he can get us playing nice, attractive passing football before - and if the board decide to keep him at the helm (which appears likely given our recent run of results) then he can do it again with time on his side and the right players in place.

I strongly believe that the recent change in tactics is down to our slide down the table. KJ has stumbled across a formula that, on the scoreline at least, is working. I don't think anyone would disagree that the performances have been a shambles and I've commented a few times during matches that they've "made my eyes bleed", and I still stand by that - but with a bit of a cushion between the bottom 3/4 and some new faces in place by the end of this month, I'm confident KJ can get us firing again and playing some better football. The squad is capable of it and I'm sure the Afobe situation hasn't been helping morale in the dressing room.

It was just over a year ago that I remember sitting in Molineux and watching Ikeme play it out from the back to the screams from the crowd of "geeeerrrit fooorward", now we've resorted to a more direct style of play and that's wrong too. It's a thankless task being a football manager - when things go right, you're amazing - and when things go wrong, you need to be sacked. I don't dispute KJ has taken even the most staunch Wolves supporter to their limits at times this season, but I do believe we can start to turn a corner with the correct investment in the squad this month*.

*disclaimer: but only if Dave Edwards is dropped.

I agree with this - however, the bit in bold really does worry me. I'm sure we'll get to spend some cash this month, but our recent transfer record is abysmal - only Jordan Graham has come in and actually made a position in the XI his own. I don't know how should shoulder the blame either - Thelwell? Jackett? Both perhaps?

I'd love them to prove me wrong and make some key signings which gives the squad the boost it so badly needs.

I agree with this - however, the bit in bold really does worry me. I'm sure we'll get to spend some cash this month, but our recent transfer record is abysmal - only Jordan Graham has come in and actually made a position in the XI his own. I don't know how should shoulder the blame either - Thelwell? Jackett? Both perhaps?

I'd love them to prove me wrong and make some key signings which gives the squad the boost it so badly needs.

Agreed. We've moved quickly before in identifying our main targets (well, our main forward options). Remember how quickly we moved to secure Afobe in the first place? And prior to that Dicko. Both players in their opening interviews with the OS spoke about feeling "wanted" and recognised we were after them from a very early stage.

Hopefully the recruitment team were aware Benik would be off this window from a very early point (you'd like to think so considering this has been rumbling on in the background for a while) - and have therefore already identified their target and are moving swiftly to get a deal over the line.

We seem to be alright with signing forwards (ignoring the loans), it's the midfield recruitment that worries me!

My works internet filters are preventing me from checking but a Wolves fan has just posted a link on another forum to Gabby Agbonlabonglaumbongotheydrinkitinthecongolahor signing for us. I appreciate it's silly season but anything that wasn't people leaving us seemed worth mentioning.

Currently 4/1 with Skybet to sign Agbonlahor (no thanks) and 8/11 to sign Zac Clough (yes please)

Hopefully the recruitment team were aware Benik would be off this window from a very early point

They were aware Sako was off early. That helped them out loads.

I can't see us being in the market for paying for a Premier League player unless they are right at the end of a contract and have little chance of securing Premier League wages in the future.

Lennon confirmed that Clough spoke to Bristol City yesterday. Doesn't sound like he wants to leave Bolton though, but is having to do so to save the club.

Bolton need to pay up by tomorrow so they're trying to rush it through.

Bolton need to pay up by tomorrow so they're trying to rush it through.

Without someone buying the club within 48 hours Bolton will likely go into administration. Doubtful a player sale will help them very much.

Has there even been a solid link between us and Clough? Are we even in the running?

Has there even been a solid link between us and Clough? Are we even in the running?

Tim II said he was one we looked at but hadn't bid over the weekend. That's about as solid as it gets right now.

However, you know how Wolves work when it comes to transfers.

E&S linking us with Cheikh M’Bengue. No, me neither....

E&S linking us with Cheikh M’Bengue. No, me neither....

Senegal International, left back, 27, plays for Stade Rennais in the French top flight and we were linked with him last week...

Back