• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

What's the plan?

Well quite. One is a trite, simpleton's argument and one is an accurate argument.

Personally, I think this transfer window has proved that balancing the books is very high on the agenda and naturally, it will mean that the club will look for the cheap option.

Personally, I think this transfer window has proved that balancing the books is very high on the agenda and naturally, it will mean that the club will look for the cheap option.

Makes you wonder if with a limited budget spunking 2 million on Connor Coady was the correct priority especially with Jack Price waiting an opportunity while other positions look like they require money thrown at them.

Makes you wonder if with a limited budget spunking 2 million on Connor Coady was the correct priority especially with Jack Price waiting an opportunity while other positions look like they require money thrown at them.

Exactly this. The recruitment priorities have been shambolic.

Ikeme (29)

Iorfa (20) Stearman (28) EEL (22) Hause (20)

McDonald (26) Coady (22)

van La Parra (24) Edwards (29) Ojo (18)

Afobe (22)​

Martinez (22) Dicko (23) Henry (26) Golbourne (27) Doherty (23) Price (22) Enobakhare (18)

That is a big problem for me. The back four in particular.

Noticeable that very few players in that line up were comfortable with the ball at their feet and struggle to pass the ball.

Agreed, although I'm not sure Coady cost anything like £2m.

Whose blame is that? Jackett apparently has final say?

It's difficult to know where the blame lies without knowing all the facts. If Jackett is told his budget is £2m and he goes and blows it on Coady, then obviously it's his fault. If he's told £6m is available and brings in Coady at £2m thinking he has £4m left then the blame lies elsewhere. With us also trying to bring in Wood and Zyro, I'd guess Jacket thought there was more money available.

Our transfer dealings from top to bottom in the Championship has been shambolic. Fortunately, last season, it was masked by us having a good season.

Do we actually know that Wolves operate on a limited budget or is it fans supposition?

Genuine question, i'm not trying to be a prick, i just wondered if the Club had ever said that X is our budget for this season.

How have our transfer dealings been shambolic? It is fairly obvious that we have enquires for players and after that we can only guess what has happened. Did Chris Woods join Leeds because they offered more money or because he thought he would get more game time? Did we make a bid for Zyro or was he just one of many players we were interested in/linked to in the press? Was the signing of Afobe an exception to the rule? rather than masking shambolic transfer dealings, maybe our successful season last year was because of a successful transfer policy which meant we did not need to bring in a whole load of new players.

I am not suggesting mistakes haven't been made but in reality, we aren't different from most other clubs. We get some of our targets, we miss out on others. We make some great signings and some not so great.

Do we actually know that Wolves operate on a limited budget or is it fans supposition?

Genuine question, i'm not trying to be a prick, i just wondered if the Club had ever said that X is our budget for this season.

I think we can only go for so long trying to make excuses for the lack of money that is spent.

This transfer window was critical for me with all the highly paid players now moved on and us still receiving parachute money, but nothing has changed. With the good season we had last season we really had a good feel factor at the club and a great opportunity to move forward, but so far the club has blown it.

As people have said, spending doesn't necessarily bring success, although it's very rare that club goes up automatically without spending, however, what it shows is that the owner is trying to push the club in the right direction.

I like what is being done with the kids, but it needs to be supplement with good experienced players too.

I don't blame the recruitment, especially after so few games.

I do blame the constant dicking around with the team. It shows a lack of clarity and confidence on the manager's side.

You don't see many other teams make changes like Kenny had.

I genuinely like Kenny Jackett, but I'm afraid I have some doubts now.

How have our transfer dealings been shambolic? It is fairly obvious that we have enquires for players and after that we can only guess what has happened. Did Chris Woods join Leeds because they offered more money or because he thought he would get more game time? Did we make a bid for Zyro or was he just one of many players we were interested in/linked to in the press? Was the signing of Afobe an exception to the rule? rather than masking shambolic transfer dealings, maybe our successful season last year was because of a successful transfer policy which meant we did not need to bring in a whole load of new players.

I am not suggesting mistakes haven't been made but in reality, we aren't different from most other clubs. We get some of our targets, we miss out on others. We make some great signings and some not so great.

We've managed to sign two decent players (Sako & Afobe) in 5 Championship transfer windows, added to that the unacceptable situation last season of only having 1 striker up until January. Yes, I'd say it's been pretty shambolic.

I think we can only go for so long trying to make excuses for the lack of money that is spent.

This transfer window was critical for me with all the highly paid players now moved on and us still receiving parachute money, but nothing has changed. With the good season we had last season we really had a good feel factor at the club and a great opportunity to move forward, but so far the club has blown it.

As people have said, spending doesn't necessarily bring success, although it's very rare that club goes up automatically without spending, however, what it shows is that the owner is trying to push the club in the right direction.

I like what is being done with the kids, but it needs to be supplement with good experienced players too.

So in essence it's just what we think as fans, which is fine because it does feel to us that it looks like it's trying to be done on the cheap.

None of us know though whether the Manager has ever asked for 6million to spend on Gayle for instance and been told no.

When you have Stearman and Edwards as your experienced players you're going to have problems. I like Stearman, but he doesn't come across as a leader. I think the problem with the back four at the moment is that we don't have a leader to organise it.

Obviously that will be helped by Batth coming back, the sooner the better.

Leon Britton is still at Swansea, he's turned down offers from American sides. Would still be a good addition to a lot of teams, even at PL level.

So in essence it's just what we think as fans, which is fine because it does feel to us that it looks like it's trying to be done on the cheap.

None of us know though whether the Manager has ever asked for 6million to spend on Gayle for instance and been told no.

We can only speculate. Fans perception is critical to how they act at games and if it doesn't look like the club is trying then it doesn't take long before the fans turn on the players and the club, which is only counter productive.

I'm not expecting the club to be totally open, but I do feel that they keep far too much to close to their chest. For example, I know that Ikeme wasn't dropped and was left out due to a twinge in his back and Kenny didn't think it wasn't worth the risk to play him, now had he come out and said that rather than saying 'Competition for places, blah, blah, blah' then post likes NWW above wouldn't be happening.

I've also heard a few rumours (Not Twitter rumours) that Jackett is losing the dressing room as the team have no faith in the formation. Personally, I think it's a load of tosh, but can understand why the rumours have started.

I always think at Championship level there are two types of centre half, ones that enjoy the physicality and enjoy attacking the first ball like Danny Batth and the others who are better reacting to the second ball like Richard Stearman. Without Danny Batth alongside him it looks like Richard Stearman is massively uncomfortable, and the options to Danny Batth fail to offer him whats required in a centre back partnership.

I don't think Stearman has played badly though. I thought he was one of the better players on Saturday. Against QPR he was almost single handedly holding the back four together at times in the second half with Iorfa and Hause looking very nervous, and Golbourne exposed.

I don't think Stearman has played badly though. I thought he was one of the better players on Saturday. Against QPR he was almost single handedly holding the back four together at times in the second half with Iorfa and Hause looking very nervous, and Golbourne exposed.

You also throw a rookie keeper into the mix and its no wonder Stearman is not anywhere near to the top of his game.

Back