• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

What's the plan?

I can understand the frustration at not replacing Sako adequately and I hope Ojo turns out to be the next Sterling or Ibe. And I think the start to the season hasn't helped along with the mess the club are making of the Stearman and McD contracts. Not doing it on the cheap but they are making a mess of it.

I don't quite understand why people think the people in charge of the purse strings at the club would not have the ambition to get into the prem. Who benefits from that, apart from Penk & Trev?

Yeah - they really don't want that extra £100m plus huge hikes in sponsorship because the wage bill will go up. It is nonsensical to even suggest it.

But then if you follow that theory you won't be able to post about 'splashing the cash' and 'ambition'

No experience in the PL though. The point is, if teams that aren't expected to do as well us, in the Championship are trying to buy one of our better players and his head was turned by more favourable wages, we have a problem with our wage structure policy.

We have 3 players at least that have been tapped up, I can understand it happening with PL clubs, but clubs which are meant to have less chance than we do of promotion, shows we have a problem with our wage structure. I think it shows our rigid wage structure isn't working.

I could be wrong, but it is my opinion based on what we know.

We don't. KMac yes. No proof AT ALL that Afobe has. Stop believing an SSN feed that is flogging a dead horse of a story because they are like a dog with a bone.

You are wrong.

You're suggesting our wage ceiling is preventing us from offering him a deal he'll accept, when it's clear from what's been said is that he just wants parity with other players.

We'll eventually come to a compromise and he'll sign. Fulham aren't interested any more.

You are wrong.

You're suggesting our wage ceiling is preventing us from offering him a deal he'll accept, when it's clear from what's been said is that he just wants parity with other players.

We'll eventually come to a compromise and he'll sign. Fulham aren't interested any more.

So you think he didn't want to join Fulham for more wages?

You are wrong.

Where has this been said? I've not read anything that says this. What I have read is that he has been offered a deal in line with our top earners, which he doesn't think is enough - although I think that was a Spiers guess rather than fact with quotes

I think he wants to sign for Wolves for more wages. That much we know for sure. Using another team's interest to get a better deal is good tactics. See Ramos, Sergio.

What he wanted when under contract to us turned out to be rather irrelevant.

Do you KNOW he is still unsettled? I don't know either way. If we can reach a compromise that suits both then great.

The club seem to be doing all they can for him, ive definitely noticed more Irn Bru adverts scrolling around the pitch.

We buy most of our players from lower leagues and that show potential. Often they have been good in division 1, but have no, or little Championship experience. Some of these will pay off, others won't. Then we loan outfield players from PL clubs, which isn't a bad idea, in it self, as long as you go for players , who are better than you have got. Afobe of course is an exception, that has come good very quickly, but now with PL clubs interested and offering to pay much higher wages, our wage structure policy works against us. Surely if a player proves he is worth more wages, we should try to accomodate him, for the form he has shown. Otherwise, most of our better players, will eventually attract interest from teams willing to pay higher wages.
This is patently nonsense.
Dicko, Golbourne, Henry, Martinez, Coady, McDonald, Clarke, Afobe, Ojo, Jacobs and Saville have all been purchased from clubs in the same division as us, or in a higher division.

I meant to say, we are buying. Meaning recently. How many games did Coady play for Liverpool. How many games did Afobe and Ojo play for Arsenals first team?

Ikeme (29)

Iorfa (20) Stearman (28) EEL (22) Hause (20)

McDonald (26) Coady (22)

van La Parra (24) Edwards (29) Ojo (18)

Afobe (22)​

Martinez (22) Dicko (23) Henry (26) Golbourne (27) Doherty (23) Price (22) Enobakhare (18)

That is a big problem for me. The back four in particular.

When you have Stearman and Edwards as your experienced players you're going to have problems. I like Stearman, but he doesn't come across as a leader. I think the problem with the back four at the moment is that we don't have a leader to organise it.

Back