• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Welcome to Wolves Nuno Espirito Santo

Let's see...

Taylor: I was still scarred by watching his England teams. Didn't feel right at all
McGhee: Well up for this one. He was very much the next big thing. Rated higher than Martin O'Neill at the time. Obviously he was shit
Lee: Meh, we just kind of drifted into it when he did ok as caretaker
Jones: I think I did actually want him, certainly in preference to Bassett. I didn't know what an infuriating bastard he would turn out to be
Hoddle: Did not want, already knew about his awful transfer record, superficially nice but ultimately ineffective football and his Messiah complex
Mick: My #1 choice on the day we started looking. And we got him. That's never happened before or since. I also recommended him to Jez at the FP so I'll have that assist
Solbakken: Wasn't sure how to react. A bit like this, it felt like the start of a new era and a different way of thinking. We didn't commit to it though
Saunders: I don't think I need to go over this again
Jackett: Happy enough. Definitely better than some of the other candidates (Coyle/Davis/Ince). At least I trusted him with the immediate goal
Zenga: Gave him a chance but....realistically I knew as well as the rest of you, this wasn't going to work
Lambert: Best of a bad bunch and when that's the nicest thing you can say then the portents are never that good

Of that list I would say McGhee, Hoddle (I know, I know) and Mick were the only ones I was genuinely pleased/excited about. Solbakken maybe got a couple of points for being an unknown quantity.

Nuno is a different level though, I am really very excited and delighted with this

Completely agree with the wording of the solbakken one - we didn't commit and do it properly. Removing lambert, his coaches and the old guard so they can do things their way is massively important.

Stan Cullis was manager when I was first taken to Molineux at a very tender age. Can honestly say this is the most exciting managerial appointment in my lifetime. Jeff Shi; Jorge Mendes and Nuno Espirito Santo - I'm happy with that holy trinity!!

Completely agree with the wording of the solbakken one - we didn't commit and do it properly. Removing lambert, his coaches and the old guard so they can do things their way is massively important.

Yep - if we ask Nuno to play the way he did with Valencia and Porto but he's got to primarily use what's already here on the playing staff then it won't work. Fortunately I don't think that'll happen. It also would have been less likely to work if he'd come in but only been allowed one coach to replace Taylor and everyone else stays.

Getting rid of the shite players isn't going to be easy, but a) that's something for Thelwell to be busying himself with, being as he's still here and given that he rates the lot of them it should be easy for him to come up with a convincing spiel and b) so long as they aren't playing then that'll do me, I'd rather they fucked off altogether but the key is not having these players as first team regulars.

It was mentioned a few weeks ago but I genuinely would go along with the idea of creating a "Group Three" like Ken did and dumping the likes of Lonergan, Doherty, EEL, Saville, Price, Mason, Bodvarsson etc in there. Make it clear, you aren't going to play for us, we don't want you. There is no fresh start, we know you are not and never will be good enough. Spend the month between now and pre-season finding a new club. Uncle Kev will help you.

equipaTecnica_2016-2017_RuiPedroSilva_thumb.png

Assistant - Rui Pedro Silva

equipaTecnica_2016-2017_RuiBarbosa_thumb.png

GK coach - Rui Barbosa

347378_med__20160718104335_antonio_dias.png

Fitness coach - Antonio Dias

I wonder if we'll now see a far busier summer in the transfer market then we thought? It seems like we're on the verge of signing 3 defenders (Bennett, Ofosu-Ayeh, Cardoso) so maybe we might just see that squad overhaul we so desperately need?

The staff is partly what have got me excited about this, keen to see what ideas they can bring, with bringing in an entire team from elsewhere it makes sense that Thewell and the other staff have been kept around and why they are looking to move Mountain to the academy side, as still got plenty of experience around.

I wonder if we'll now see a far busier summer in the transfer market then we thought? It seems like we're on the verge of signing 3 defenders (Bennett, Ofosu-Ayeh, Cardoso) so maybe we might just see that squad overhaul we so desperately need?

Take these out of the equation (plus some of the kids who haven't played yet), if they're fit and close to top form:

Hause
Iorfa
Ronan
Gibbs-White
Marshall
Zyro
Graham
Cavaleiro
Costa

With an asterisk against Dicko if we ever got him back to 2014/15 form, but sadly I don't think that will happen.

Absolutely everyone else is expendable as far as I'm concerned. If they can all be replaced and we can ditch the lot then fine (I know that wouldn't happen). If that means that say, you buy two keepers this summer, or two left backs, then great. I have no particular desire to watch any current senior Wolves player who isn't on that list ever again.

That said Ryan Bennett is not the answer to anything because I'd chuck him straight on the second pile. He's better than EEL but we shouldn't be in the business of signing someone who's merely better than him.

I've just spaffed myself in the middle of a shift.

This is beyond my wildest dreams. Welcome back the halcyon days of summer hope.

Bennett looks like another Lambert player. He signed him for Norwich from Peterboro'. His contract doesn't run out till the end of June, when he becomes a free agent.

Take these out of the equation (plus some of the kids who haven't played yet), if they're fit and close to top form:

Hause
Iorfa
Ronan
Gibbs-White
Marshall
Zyro
Graham
Cavaleiro
Costa

With an asterisk against Dicko if we ever got him back to 2014/15 form, but sadly I don't think that will happen.

Absolutely everyone else is expendable as far as I'm concerned. If they can all be replaced and we can ditch the lot then fine (I know that wouldn't happen). If that means that say, you buy two keepers this summer, or two left backs, then great. I have no particular desire to watch any current senior Wolves player who isn't on that list ever again.

That said Ryan Bennett is not the answer to anything because I'd chuck him straight on the second pile. He's better than EEL but we shouldn't be in the business of signing someone who's merely better than him.

Totally agree.

As for Bennett - we really should be beyond the point of 'yeah, they'll do for now' because that's what's landed us with so much deadwood. I don't know anything about the other defenders who are allegedly in the pipeline but I would hope they're better than what we currently have - AND that they have the potential to be in a promotion challenging side, and ideally able to make the step up to the Premier League. The small time thinking needs to stop.

It's 4 with Miranda. I'm trying to work out why Ryan Bennett would be signed and I'm at a loss especially if the other players do come in. But still no left back.

If these lads do come in then we are looking at needing at least one of a STR, CM and LB along with a new GK. That's a fair old turn around in a relatively short space of time.

It's 4 with Miranda. I'm trying to work out why Ryan Bennett would be signed and I'm at a loss especially if the other players do come in. But still no left back.

Bennett a bit like the Nouble signing under TC maybe. Already agreed before the point where Fosun had decided to get rid of Lambert...or just they see him as a good 4th or 5th choice who will come cheap and replace EEL for that role.

Maybe should be Rod Miranda instead. Nuno knows him from his days at Rio Ave.

Ninjad

Bennett a bit like the Nouble signing under TC maybe. Already agreed before the point where Fosun had decided to get rid of Lambert...or just they see him as a good 4th or 5th choice who will come cheap and replace EEL for that role.

Poor old Ryan getting compared (in passing) to that lummox :icon_lol: Easily one of the least skilled players I've ever seen in a gold shirt. I genuinely could find you a better footballer down the park.

Poor old Ryan getting compared (in passing) to that lummox :icon_lol: Easily one of the least skilled players I've ever seen in a gold shirt. I genuinely could find you a better footballer down the park.

Comparing the deal rather than the player! Fucking journo's twisting my words....

Back