• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Welcome to Wolves Nuno Espirito Santo

I still don't really see what benefit that gives the club, other than a potential bit kg extra income if business is booming for Gestifute but it's a drop in the ocean for Fosun's turnover anyway.

It'll be interesting to see how the relationship develops over the years. At the moment it's difficult for the Mendes Rolodex not to improvement Wolves, as they're clearly the lesser of all the clubs in his circle, so the bar for improvement isn't as high as elsewhere. When the PL brings a bigger pot of cash and raises the threshold for improvement it'll be time to see if any of those 'favour' type signings start to sneak in to help circulate a bit of cash around the group.

It will mean he cannot treat us like benfica or Porto and manipulate us because we are desperate for money.

I'm genuinely ignorant on this, what are the implications from FFP if we get promoted?

If we breach the rules (a loss of £39m in a 3 year accounting period) then we will be fined a sum of money to be determined by the football league.

It will mean he cannot treat us like benfica or Porto and manipulate us because we are desperate for money.
Is he manipulating them? Or do they know full well the terms of the arrangement when they get into bed with him?

I can't imagine for a minute he's so involved in the dealings of so many clubs, so frequently, if he keeps mugging them off and wasting their money. They know the score when they get involved on his way of working, sometimes they'll be beneficiaries of big talent but other times they'll have to sign up to a shit deal or two, consider it a sort of membership fee for his services. Are a huge corporation like Fosun going to be as naive as to think they can avoid such an arrangement? I doubt it, nor do I think they have any ability to bully him with a paltry 10% stake and probably even slimmer contribution to his income

If we breach the rules (a loss of £39m in a 3 year accounting period) then we will be fined a sum of money to be determined by the football league.

Why would the football league care about us if we're in the premier league?

Is he manipulating them? Or do they know full well the terms of the arrangement when they get into bed with him?

I can't imagine for a minute he's so involved in the dealings of so many clubs, so frequently, if he keeps mugging them off and wasting their money. They know the score when they get involved on his way of working, sometimes they'll be beneficiaries of big talent but other times they'll have to sign up to a shit deal or two, consider it a sort of membership fee for his services. Are a huge corporation like Fosun going to be as naive as to think they can avoid such an arrangement? I doubt it, nor do I think they have any ability to bully him with a paltry 10% stake and probably even slimmer contribution to his income

Gestifute wouldn't upset their customers. Monaco, Valencia and the Portuguese teams all have had success with Mendes involved and you could argue it is the owners of those clubs that have fucked it up, particularly at Valencia and Monaco.

Porto clearly have their own problems financially and this is where Wolves are in good shape because Wolves do not have a problem financially and historically we are a well run club. Mendes will hardly want that changed as he could place some very high net worth players at Wolves and let them play at the top level. I don't see it as beneficial to Mendes to put crap players in a club that would essentially earn him no money. That isn't a great business practice.

Why would the football league care about us if we're in the premier league?

Because we'll have broken the rules while getting promoted, not after we've gone up.

Bournemouth got fined for their financial results in 2014/15. But they're in the PL and earn PL money, so they just pay it. So no problem.

It bears repeating that nothing we've done to this point indicates we're in any kind of immediate danger of breaching the rules.

OK, I get that if we've broken the FFP rules we'll have to pay a fine, but we haven't and won't have broken the FFP rules (assuming we get promoted and we don't buy Neymar in January)

I still don't understand what the implications are for FFP in the premier league, I know the rules for FFP are different for Premier League clubs compared to EFL clubs but I don't know what the Premier League rules are - does anyone else?

Gestifute wouldn't upset their customers. Monaco, Valencia and the Portuguese teams all have had success with Mendes involved and you could argue it is the owners of those clubs that have fucked it up, particularly at Valencia and Monaco.

Porto clearly have their own problems financially and this is where Wolves are in good shape because Wolves do not have a problem financially and historically we are a well run club. Mendes will hardly want that changed as he could place some very high net worth players at Wolves and let them play at the top level. I don't see it as beneficial to Mendes to put crap players in a club that would essentially earn him no money. That isn't a great business practice.
I don't expect Mendes to stack any club out with shit players, but at the same time he doesn't trade in 100% gold with any club either. At the moment it looks that way to Wolves as they bar was originally very low, so whilst transfers have all been positive from Wolves point of view so far there might have been a bit of favour viewed from another side. For example, Neves clearly has no business coming to Wolves ordinarily but wasn't there talk of Porto desperately needing cash, so they get a big chunk of money for a player they weren't particularly reliant on that point (favour) but due to the disparity between the clubs Wolves also get a massive upgrade on Jack Price. In the future as that disparity hopefully narrows it will become more difficult for these type of deals to please all parties all of the time, so depending on who needs what, most desperately at any given time may see deals fall more in their favour from time to time.

None of the clubs in his circle are doing badly, not directly through his actions anyway, so I don't expect him to ruin Wolves either but I certainly expect there to be some form of 'playing the game' so to speak as the years go by, that's just how Mendes works.

OK, I get that if we've broken the FFP rules we'll have to pay a fine, but we haven't and won't have broken the FFP rules (assuming we get promoted and we don't buy Neymar in January)

I still don't understand what the implications are for FFP in the premier league, I know the rules for FFP are different for Premier League clubs compared to EFL clubs but I don't know what the Premier League rules are - does anyone else?

PL%20STCC%202016.jpg.opt882x767o0%2C0s882x767.jpg

Summary - they may as well not exist.

PL%20STCC%202016.jpg.opt882x767o0%2C0s882x767.jpg

Summary - they may as well not exist.

Is that the same for this season? The rules are based purely around player wages then?

So we could get promoted and all we'd have to worry about is that we stay within the arbitrary player wages figure?

Nothing to say they've changed that I can find (they may have moved the figure upwards slightly, who knows).

It really is not ever going to be an issue in the PL unless you go full Ridsdale. UEFA's regulations are a bit more onerous but that's not our problem for now.

Nothing to say they've changed that I can find (they may have moved the figure upwards slightly, who knows).

It really is not ever going to be an issue in the PL unless you go full Ridsdale. UEFA's regulations are a bit more onerous but that's not our problem for now.

From what I could see the UEFA one's were £30m over 3 years, which is pretty tight. I've no idea how Man City are in Europe - but that's probably for another thread

They failed at least once - had to run with a 21 man squad in the CL as far as I remember.

UEFA are fine with banning the likes of Fenerbahce and Partizan when it suits them but I seriously doubt they've got the minerals to totally ban an English team. Look at how they fudged the RB Leipzig/RB Salzburg issue this year, they wouldn't tell a German team that they're not allowed to play.

I thought I read that in the Prem, you are allowed a £35m operating loss per season? Or is that an old rule?

Ah it's £105m over three years. So almost right.

Is money from UCL/UEL competition considered revenue or something else?

Prize money yes (and you get money just for being in the group stage, money for each point you win), TV money from UEFA, no.

All that only comes into play though if you're exceeding £67m p/a on wages alone. We won't be doing that.

Prize money yes (and you get money just for being in the group stage, money for each point you win), TV money from UEFA, no.

All that only comes into play though if you're exceeding £67m p/a on wages alone. We won't be doing that.

You'd need 22 players on £60k p/w to break that figure. That's some squad right there.

Tbf wages have gone so out of control that even the average PL player gets 60k these days. Remember seeing Arsenal’s wage bill a while back and Denilson was on 60k whereas Wilshere was only on 20k (still 20k for a Teen a little ridic)

Back