• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Welcome to Wolves Nuno Espirito Santo

You can't underestimate how much easier his job is through having the extra time on the ball you get at sweeper compared to CM. A touch that's a tiny bit heavy doesn't matter because there's nobody near him, and he's got time to look up and spray, which he was never getting in CM. I'm still fairly convinced that if you put him in CM tomorrow, his limitations would flare up again as the pace and pressure increased. He's doing a really decent job, absolutely - but like Doc, I think it's more down to the system hiding deficiencies rather than massive technical improvement

And the quality of players in front of him. A lump forward becomes a great pass if the receiving player is on the end of it. A pass into midfield is handing the ball back to the opposition unless one of our players has come to collect the pass (Dave Edwards was usually running away). We've gone from having two options (short pass or hopeful ball forward) to having numerous options all existing at the same time. There is no way anyone can play at this level without some ability so when their team mates are making it easy for them their hardest decision is which option to take. You still see the dejection on players' faces when it goes wrong - a misplaced pass is a collective failure.

Will raise a glass of this beauty later tonight....88053AE3-3700-4CBD-889B-633D5AFFE70A.jpg

Fosun and Mendes have found a loophole in FFP rules. Either the loophole will be closed or others will follow the same model and start playing catch up. The biggest risk we face is losing Mendes.

We won’t keep players long term because the model is based on buy low, sell high (deals with FFP concerns). At some point we will end up with players purchased at above their value who we will subsequently loan out in order to satisfy some other club’s FFP requirements. There will be a handful of clubs where transfers are effectively under the control of Mendes and if it works out they will collectively hold many of the most valuable players available.

Do we have to go over all this again? If we're promoted we don't need to sell anyone for FFP.

Do we have to go over all this again? If we're promoted we don't need to sell anyone for FFP.

What I have written has nothing to do with promotion (or relegation). If we do get promoted, the same system applies.

The difference with us is we part own Mendes and our owners are massively rich.

What I have written has nothing to do with promotion (or relegation). If we do get promoted, the same system applies.

The system may well apply but it's hardly likely we are going to be spending the sorts of sums that will impact FFP if we are in the PL. I can't imagine us buying many players for £30m and we'd need to buy 6 of them just to spend the SKY money.

Not strictly true. If we go up and we have breached the regulations (we haven't at this point) then the Football League will fine us. That sum compared to our income - let alone the wealth of our owners - for just one year in the top flight is chickenfeed. It'd be like fining you or I £10.

There are FFP rules in the Premier League but it's practically impossible to breach them.

The difference with us is we part own Mendes and our owners are massively rich.

I still don't really see what benefit that gives the club, other than a potential bit kg extra income if business is booming for Gestifute but it's a drop in the ocean for Fosun's turnover anyway.

It'll be interesting to see how the relationship develops over the years. At the moment it's difficult for the Mendes Rolodex not to improvement Wolves, as they're clearly the lesser of all the clubs in his circle, so the bar for improvement isn't as high as elsewhere. When the PL brings a bigger pot of cash and raises the threshold for improvement it'll be time to see if any of those 'favour' type signings start to sneak in to help circulate a bit of cash around the group.

Back