• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Welcome to Wolves Nuno Espirito Santo

He might have done, but he'd have caused instability in other areas as he's a squareheaded weirdo. Not a hope he was the answer.

Hmm so if Nigel Pearson had flaps his arms fast enough, he would have caused a ripple in time that fucks up say the forward line... The Pearson Effect..

He'd have fallen out with everyone and played awful football along the way.

Did you see his Derby team?

Neill Collins on Nuno. Apparently they did their coaching badges together.

https://www.expressandstar.com/spor...ill-collins-new-boss-nuno-takes-no-prisoners/

Certainly matches up with what I was told about him.

I work with a guy who does a lot of work for the SFA on the side who met Nuno 'loads' of times while he was doing his coaching badges in Scotland. I've been mercilessly grilling him for info over the last few days and he basically said that we could do a hell of a lot worse. Apparently he's a very precise, demanding coach who has a set way of playing (4-3-3, high press, quick counter attacks) and that it will take our players 6-12 months to get used to exactly how he wants it. He said that he wont try to get us playing free flowing football straight away but will focus on defensive organisation, winning the ball back high up the pitch and direct counter attacks.

He's also a bit of a character apparently, very funny guy. That flies in the face of what the Porto fans were saying about him being a bit emotionless but that might just be his touchline demeanour, I think I only saw Jackett celebrate a goal once (Edwards vs Leeds, and even then he looked a bit embarrassed to be caught losing his composure :icon_lol:) as he thought he was more likely to miss things if he was jumping around.

Sounds like exactly what the club needs IMO, hopefully he gets the time to get his full message across. The first few months of the season will be very interesting.

Sounds very good to me :)

Wolves‏Verified account @Wolves 47s47 seconds ago

�� Two further new staff arrivals today. Julio Aibar as first team coach and Joao Lapa as Rehabilitation Coach. Welcome both!

I had been wondering who the Pirlo lookalike was in the earlier video

Apologies if this was ever posted but, if it was, I don't recall seeing it. Article on Nuno a year ago, while he was at Porto: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/sep/27/porto-leicester-champions-league-nuno-espirito-santo

Nice find it only reinforces my view that Nuno will be the best manager we've had in modern times possibly since Bill McGarry it's great to have a team who are organised,eager and skillful I keep dreaming of the Man City game going our way - we will see :devilsmile:

A hypothetical question.

Given that Batth, Coady and Doherty have improved significantly since Nuno took over, if he had been manager last season, with last seasons players, how would we have fared?

A hypothetical question.

Given that Batth, Coady and Doherty have improved significantly since Nuno took over, if he had been manager last season, with last seasons players, how would we have fared?

A lot better without a shadow of a doubt. For starters I doubt Saville would have turned out at Left Wing Back (Lambert actually did that)

Certainly don't think we would have had any worries about relegation

I don't think he could have turned Lonergan into a keeper though. Not even Nuno is THAT good a coach. He'd have probably played himself instead.

Or Paddy.

We'd have been top 10 I reckon. However our midfield options were so horrifically shit there's no way we'd have done much better than that. Debatable whether we could play this system with the players we had (I say no, we couldn't, unless you really think Doherty would be good at LWB, Price could discover a range of passing that he's never really ever shown or Stearman could be our top ball playing centre half). Also having Ikeme let alone Lonergan as the regular keeper would cost us points compared to how we'll do this season.

Lambert's record over a full season (41 points from 30 games, extrapolates to around 62-63 for a full campaign) would have had us about 11th or 12th, I wasn't a huge fan of his but he seems to be getting an oddly rough ride lately. We absolutely made the right call in getting rid of him given what we had lined up, and there was an alarming amount of total crap under him, but he doesn't deserve to be painted as some kind of Saunders-esque clot. Not that many people post-PNE in May were actively calling for him to be chucked.

Zenga was the huge error last season in terms of managerial choices, but we know why they panicked and just appointed someone they vaguely knew.

We'd have been top 10 I reckon. However our midfield options were so horrifically shit there's no way we'd have done much better than that. Also having Ikeme let alone Lonergan as the regular keeper would cost us points compared to how we'll do this season.

Lambert's record over a full season (40 points from 30 games, extrapolates to around 61-62 for a full campaign) would have had us about 11th or 12th, I wasn't a huge fan of his but he seems to be getting an oddly rough ride lately. We absolutely made the right call in getting rid of him given what we had lined up, and there was an alarming amount of total crap under him, but he doesn't deserve to be painted as some kind of Saunders-esque clot.

Totally agree with this. I would have been fine with giving Lambert a bit longer - fair to say I'm rather pleased we didn't.

I wasn't a huge fan of his but he seems to be getting an oddly rough ride lately.

A mixture of how we are playing now, the players we signed, the players we were linked to under him, the media whacking themselves silly over his sacking, of course his actions before getting bumped and how we played in the last month and his team selections don't do him any favours. He certainly isn't a Saunders-esque clot, far from it as he is a very capable manager at this level as he proved in his best moments throughout January.

You know in football history can be re-written to fit how people feel. If Nuno was a disaster there would be a lot of people saying we should have kept Lambert and signed Hanley and Co.

I'd have been miffed if we'd sacked Lambert and appointed Karanka, as I don't see that as any kind of upgrade, especially aesthetically. And arguably (had we not been tapping up Nuno for months, which we obviously did but none of us knew at the time) that would have been the obvious choice - unemployed, highish profile and with a recent record of top six finishes in this league.

Lambert definitely went down in my estimation with his clumsy attempt at muddying the waters, you can get away with that if you're good at it, he wasn't.

I am no expert on the coaching side of the game, but I do wonder what Nuno and his coaching staff have done to make such improvements in Batth, Coady and Doherty. Given the fact that they survived the cull, I can only presume he felt there was something there that made them worth keeping.

Batth looks fitter and Doherty has lost at least a stone. That helps.

As I say not much has changed with Doherty, he's still the same player, we've just changed his role so his weak areas don't get magnified. We've managed to drum it into Danny that he can't just thump the ball anywhere and he's responded. Fair play. Edwards and Dicko didn't respond to what Nuno wanted so they got patched.

Coady...I can't explain that one. Never in a million years would I have suggested that as a good idea three months ago. But he's been superb, Sheff Utd aside.

Having a whole new coaching team helps, Inc 2 fitness ones.
Batth's previous options were lump it into the corners or knock it back to the keeper. He generally had Saiss 10 feet behind him and Edwards wherever his legs had taken him so a ball to the midfield wasn't there. Now he has 3 or 4 options to pass the ball short and concentrate on defending and that makes a huge difference to his game.

I am no expert on the coaching side of the game, but I do wonder what Nuno and his coaching staff have done to make such improvements in Batth, Coady and Doherty. Given the fact that they survived the cull, I can only presume he felt there was something there that made them worth keeping.

Ultimately they know that there is serious competition now (less so for Doherty as there's no real cover out there at the moment, but at least the formation now being played masks some of the most glaring weaknesses) - if they don't perform they are out & will be sold off (may ultimately be sold anyway depending on how we progress as a club)

Agree that Batth & Doherty look fitter though Coady has been a slight revelation in his new role & may have bought himself a bit more time here.

Back