• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Welcome to Wolves Nuno Espirito Santo

"Reading the comments BTL in the Guardian for the Lambert/Nuno articles, you'd get the impression that we were the most shambolic bombscare of a club imaginable. It's like Pessimistic Frank turned up to 11."

Was there any need for the second of these two sentences? It looks like a cheap attack to score a few laughs at the expense of a person who has historically been the most positive supporter of our team on this, or any other forum. Debate facts, debate theories, debate beliefs, but please, everyone, stop these ridiculous personal comments that add nothing of value, or merit, to the discussion.

Can we please not turn every fucking thread into the Frank Munro show?

"Reading the comments BTL in the Guardian for the Lambert/Nuno articles, you'd get the impression that we were the most shambolic bombscare of a club imaginable. It's like Pessimistic Frank turned up to 11."

Was there any need for the second of these two sentences? It looks like a cheap attack to score a few laughs at the expense of a person who has historically been the most positive supporter of our team on this, or any other forum. Debate facts, debate theories, debate beliefs, but please, everyone, stop these ridiculous personal comments that add nothing of value, or merit, to the discussion.

It was only a lighthearted comment on Frank's change from Mr Positivity to Mr Negativity (hence the capitalisation "Pessimistic" - it's like they're two different people.) I think even Frank has mentioned this change in the past. He's a high-profile member of the forum so he sprung to mind for my gag. I disagree with Frank on a lot of things but I'm not sure I've ever really got on his back about the football side of things.

Such a dick

iSqcYpE.png

He's getting to the point where he's completely lost his objectivity (again) and probably should be removed from covering Wolves

He's a complete cock. And I agree Tredman he shouldn't be covering our club

I work with a guy who does a lot of work for the SFA on the side who met Nuno 'loads' of times while he was doing his coaching badges in Scotland. I've been mercilessly grilling him for info over the last few days and he basically said that we could do a hell of a lot worse. Apparently he's a very precise, demanding coach who has a set way of playing (4-3-3, high press, quick counter attacks) and that it will take our players 6-12 months to get used to exactly how he wants it. He said that he wont try to get us playing free flowing football straight away but will focus on defensive organisation, winning the ball back high up the pitch and direct counter attacks.

He's also a bit of a character apparently, very funny guy. That flies in the face of what the Porto fans were saying about him being a bit emotionless but that might just be his touchline demeanour, I think I only saw Jackett celebrate a goal once (Edwards vs Leeds, and even then he looked a bit embarrassed to be caught losing his composure :icon_lol:) as he thought he was more likely to miss things if he was jumping around.

Sounds like exactly what the club needs IMO, hopefully he gets the time to get his full message across. The first few months of the season will be very interesting.

Dalrymple is the MD of a Fosun subsidiary - it should be exactly him talking.

Sounds like exactly what the club needs IMO, hopefully he gets the time to get his full message across. The first few months of the season will be very interesting.

Fosun need to be patient with this appointment and my guess is that, unless we have a catastrophic start, he will be given time. I think we have been given a great opportunity by being able to get him here and it would be a huge waste if he was not given the chance to implement his ideas and build his team (or Mendes' team :icon_wink: )

Laurie sounded a bit embarrassed trying to explain Keven's absence - wouldn't have been surprised if he'd just said ' look, we've just told him to fuck off away from first team matters '

focus on defensive organisation, winning the ball back high up the pitch and direct counter attacks.

Sounds a bit like Klopp. But it's the description that's odd, it doesn't make sense and I'm not having a pop here Lycan as I've seen it loads in the press too it seems to be a phrase that's in vogue right now.

It's not really possible to set up with a high press (winning the ball in the attacking third) and also set up on the counter attack. Mourinho plays on the counter but Klopp plays with a high press. I wouldn't say either style is similar. It tends to be one or the other. You either win the ball back in the final third or you don't and if you don't then teams tend to press all over the pitch and disrupt rather than contain. Counter attacking teams tend to contain, win the ball back and then explode.

It's the bit in possession that matters and Mourinho's sides tend to be a bit more direct than Klopp's fast flowing play from the back.

Such a dick

iSqcYpE.png

He's getting to the point where he's completely lost his objectivity (again) and probably should be removed from covering Wolves

Ring Guinness! That's tyhe biggest cock I have ever seen!

Watching the main press conference back I did laugh at the bit where Nuno said "We have Edwards & Ben Marshall to help with this" That must be Mr Thelwells advice. The thing is people are moaning about the recruitment and Thelwells role in it all, it seems indeed he is in charge of recruitment, which is in a way good as he cant hide now. Bennett is his first signing (could have been Lambert influenced but still) and I think thats only really had a luke warm reception at best.

The next 2 or 3 signings will be interesting, if they are on the same level as Bennett then I think Thelwell will be gone by Christmas. The current squad and players of that ability are mid table at best, if we sign more Costa/Cav quality players then we can push on.

The point remains if Doc, Batth, Edwards, Saville are anywhere near a starting position we cant expect much, Nuno will hopefully work out they are shit pretty quickly and push for replacements.

Sounds a bit like Klopp. But it's the description that's odd, it doesn't make sense and I'm not having a pop here Lycan as I've seen it loads in the press too it seems to be a phrase that's in vogue right now.

It's not really possible to set up with a high press (winning the ball in the attacking third) and also set up on the counter attack. Mourinho plays on the counter but Klopp plays with a high press. I wouldn't say either style is similar. It tends to be one or the other. You either win the ball back in the final third or you don't and if you don't then teams tend to press all over the pitch and disrupt rather than contain. Counter attacking teams tend to contain, win the ball back and then explode.

It's the bit in possession that matters and Mourinho's sides tend to be a bit more direct than Klopp's fast flowing play from the back.

Every team attacks and counter attacks (apart from Boro. Ba-dum-tish), his point was the directness/speed of it. Actively work to win the ball back in areas that the opposition aren't expecting and then take advantage while they're stretched.

Such a dick

iSqcYpE.png

That's really poor. I had hoped some of the media outlets would have got over their hang-ups over the past week but reading twitter, it appears not to be the case.

Every team attacks and counter attacks (apart from Boro. Ba-dum-tish), his point was the directness/speed of it. Actively work to win the ball back in areas that the opposition aren't expecting and then take advantage while they're stretched.

Again I don't doubt your source and it seems it's high transition speed Nuno favours and a high press like Klopp (or Wagner). I'm interested in what we do with the ball as we haven't done a lot with it in the last two seasons and it's his attacking football I want to see more than how we transition.

A well respected coach said to me once 'You can't score without the ball so it's about getting it under your control'. I still subscribe to that theory and I'm excited to see how Nuno puts this across. I'm fully expecting us to be quite turgid for a few games whilst the defence is getting up to speed but after that I hope we get some exciting football.

Like the bit about how the summer won't be a quiet one and wanting people in before the Austria trip.

I like Dalrymple, always seems to talk sense.

Again I don't doubt your source and it seems it's high transition speed Nuno favours and a high press like Klopp (or Wagner). I'm interested in what we do with the ball as we haven't done a lot with it in the last two seasons and it's his attacking football I want to see more than how we transition.

A well respected coach said to me once 'You can't score without the ball so it's about getting it under your control'. I still subscribe to that theory and I'm excited to see how Nuno puts this across. I'm fully expecting us to be quite turgid for a few games whilst the defence is getting up to speed but after that I hope we get some exciting football.

The impression I got is that he'll be much more focused on how the defence is organised rather than setting out to play sexy football. I think in the forward positions you'll see the same players we saw this season (hopefully with a new striker), playing in a similar fashion. Just with a back 4 who actually know the basics of where to position themselves and a central midfield that can impose themselves on a game of football and pass the ball to a teammate. Crazy talk, I know.

I like Dalrymple, always seems to talk sense.

Yep, always comes across very well. Although sometimes I wonder if part of that is because his predecessor was such a condescending prick and I'm just not used to it.

The impression I got is that he'll be much more focused on how the defence is organised rather than setting out to play sexy football. I think in the forward positions you'll see the same players we saw this season (hopefully with a new striker), playing in a similar fashion. Just with a back 4 who actually know the basics of where to position themselves and a central midfield that can impose themselves on a game of football and pass the ball to a teammate. Crazy talk, I know.

Yep, always comes across very well. Although sometimes I wonder if part of that is because his predecessor was such a condescending prick and I'm just not used to it.

It's not just because Moxey was a condescending prick. When LD speaks it's sense that comes out of his mouth and he understands the fans. I've been particularly impressed today with him shutting down the Mendes worries that some of our "fans" have. If we are as good on the pitch as LD has been off the pitch in the last 4/5 months then Premier League will be on agenda very soon.

Yeah, I know it's under a different owner with a different financial backing but LD seems to be very focused on the product Wolves produce and the fans experience, whereas Moxey tended to make excuses for why we could to X and Y

Back