• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Welcome back Benik Afobe

Welcome back Benny.

If he hits the ground running he could get 15+ in this team.

I'm going to buck the trend slightly on here and say I'm very happy with the signing.

He has the chance to show whether he can do well and fit into our style of play - his lack of premiership proven ability doesn't worry me (we've derided proven championship experience all season). If he can score and if he can fit in to Nuno's style of play then it could be a very good signing for this season and potentially a good signing for next.

Its about scoring more goals than the other team in the end :)

We've been doing quite well at "conceding less than the other team" which is also good...

Not a signing we *need* as we'll be going up anyway, but if Nuno has seen something he can work with, then that's good enough for me. Presumably he and his team have reviewed videos of his previous time with us and decided he's a player we can make use of. He might even turn out to be the player we all thought he might be early on.

Welcome back, he clearly does seem to have an genuine attachment to the club whatever the reasons for leaving before. Decent option to have, but I'm still left bemused as to what we do if Doherty gets injured...

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

DU6GTmYXUAAGos8.jpg

They'll be too busy singing that God awful "Nuno had a dream" chant to worry about it.

Not sure we needed to sign Afobe but it's another option up top, and Leo has been struggling (for goals anyway) of late. Mir and Bright have no real experience either so certainly not against it.

Welcome back Benik. Left for career reasons before and who can blame him? We weren't anywhere near as ambitious as we are now: proven by the sale of Sako before him and so on. You can't really blame him for wanting to leave.

Welcome back Benik. Left for career reasons before and who can blame him? We weren't anywhere near as ambitious as we are now: proven by the sale of Sako before him and so on. You can't really blame him for wanting to leave.

We didn't sell Sako.

Well: didn't renew his contract, sorry.

Well: didn't renew his contract, sorry.

He didn’t renew his contract, it’s not like we didn’t want to. He wanted the Prem and we missed out so he left.

I think the best points raised are:
-Shame for whoever misses out on a matchday squad spot
-He might not fit our style in terms of what Bonatini can do but it will make it harder for other teams to prepare knowing he could come on and change things
-A RWB would have been better

I'm going to buck the trend slightly on here and say I'm very happy with the signing.

He has the chance to show whether he can do well and fit into our style of play - his lack of premiership proven ability doesn't worry me (we've derided proven championship experience all season). If he can score and if he can fit in to Nuno's style of play then it could be a very good signing for this season and potentially a good signing for next.

I'm happy too tbh. Was a big fan of him during his last spell here, and if Leo gets crocked, I wouldn't have been confident of Nir or even Cav firing in the goals that get us up. We know what Afobe can do, he's a proven goal scorer at this level (Hi Jonny) and this is a better deal for us than if we had signed no-one. Better safe than sorry IMO.

One thing it does do is significantly limit Vinagre's chances. We are only allowed 5 loan players in the matchday squad and the other 5 including Afobe are pretty much shoe ins.

I suppose we don’t really need a left back on the bench, if Douglas gets injured we can muddle through the rest of that game and then Vinagre takes over the starting spot from there and someone else has to miss out - Mir would have to replace either Leo or Afobe in the squad

I'v not really said much about him prior to him signing i do have a couple of things

1. If thia signing had been made August i'd have been delighted. Now not so Nuno and the team proved me wrong we dis not need a striker also Bonatini is an excellent player removing the neccesity if having a back up.

2. I loved Benik when he was last hear and did not want him sold. Now with the us being 12 points clear what worries me is him keeping a youngster from developing, Bright, MGW etc.

Would rather this have not been done however In Nuno I trust he can pretty much do as he pleases

Benik coming in has no impact on Gibbs White progressing, maybe so Bright but Bright isnt pulling up many trees when he comes on.

we're such a different team now to when benik left it'll be interesting to see how he fits in and what that means, if at all, to how we are set up with him in there. i wouldn't expect that much to change, maybe some subtleties here and there.

i guess we wait and see how Nuno tries things. if he's happy with it then that's ok with me at least for the time being.

Just had to check this. According to Soccerbase the last game Afobe played for us in the league was a 1-0 win at Brighton - the game we won 1-0 without ever having a shot on target thanks to an OG.
The team was Ikeme - Iorfa, Batth, EEL, Doherty - McDonald Coady - Henry Edwards Graham - Afobe
Subs (to show strength of the squad) were McCarey Golbourne Price Wallace Byrne Le Fondre Sigurdarsson
Fair to say Benik might find things slightyl different this time around...

I was at that, didn't realise it was his final game. We were absolutely shocking! I've never seen a striker get worse service playing for us (and that includes the Doyle 09/10 Prem days) but Afobe worked tirelessly. Even if he was pushing for a move, the lad still gave his all on the pitch.

Back