• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Welcome back Benik Afobe

I think you're looking to see something that isn't there IMO. The perception that he had stopped caring came from the fact we were playing like $#@! and giving him no service, had just sold our best player and failed to replace him with someone capable of playing football, lost his striking partner to a long-term injury, wanted to go to Norwich in the summer, and were up for sale and going nowhere but down.

All those things are true and I totally agree. My point is rather that I think it's somewhat telling that the interpretation of Afobe's body language on the pitch, in response to everything around him turning to shit, was "laziness" - not "frustration", or even "perseverance" (he did a *lot* of running deep to little effect, after all).

Didn't bother checking this last night & out all morning so only just seen this.

Not particularly pro or anti the move as it's on our terms apparently. He does well & we see a role for him next season then we will take up the option - if he doesn't or we don't however he performs then he becomes Bournemouth's problem again.

Minor downside is the extra loan player meaning 1 is left out of the squad though that assumes that all are fit & available every game which is not a given (permanent crocks aside we have been fortunate on that front so far).

I absolutely think this was a signing we required. Leo is off form and Mir may not be seen this season. We now have a different option up front. Great work.

All those things are true and I totally agree. My point is rather that I think it's somewhat telling that the interpretation of Afobe's body language on the pitch, in response to everything around him turning to $#@!, was "laziness" - not "frustration", or even "perseverance" (he did a *lot* of running deep to little effect, after all).
It's on display every window, really. The number of black players labeled "quick and powerful"...

But I digress. In Afobe's case I think the rumors surrounding his attitude off the pitch probably were the cause of perception of his attitude on the pitch souring.

All those things are true and I totally agree. My point is rather that I think it's somewhat telling that the interpretation of Afobe's body language on the pitch, in response to everything around him turning to $#@!, was "laziness" - not "frustration", or even "perseverance" (he did a *lot* of running deep to little effect, after all).

It was more about him being our best player than his skin colour. Fans inevitably look to key players when things are rough and often when struggling people label them as not caring, you can see this best in how Sánchez had split opinion amongst Arsenal fans this season. And at times I don't think Afobe cared either as the club was a complete mess and he would be off in January, it was hard to care just watching us. There was a greater scrutiny on Afobe as he was one of very few quality players. Byrne and Hélan didn't get many accusations of laziness because they were dire anyway.

Anyone know what number he'll be wearing? n-n-n-n-n-nineteen?

10 or 12, I'd guess.

Think he was wearing 19 in a pic Danny Batth posted today

Saying the right things for me. Fair play.

Also, his teeth are immaculate.

Do their numbers still count? #12 I thought was definitely fair game as Marshall is on loan.

He could take #12 from Marshall as his number is now vacant I'd have thought. Couldn't take #10 though

Pretty sure he's got #19 vacated by Price.

He's #19 - but couldn't take 12 in case we recall Marshall, I think

Can't recall Marshall. Window to window loans have no recall option

I'm going to buck the trend slightly on here and say I'm very happy with the signing.

He has the chance to show whether he can do well and fit into our style of play - his lack of premiership proven ability doesn't worry me (we've derided proven championship experience all season). If he can score and if he can fit in to Nuno's style of play then it could be a very good signing for this season and potentially a good signing for next.

That's the key though can Benik adapt to our system, can he learn under Nuno how to perform in different areas of the field than he was asked to at Bournemouth and previously at Wolves. Time will tell.

I was a little bit meh about this yesterday afternoon, and distinctly whelmed at the terms that Bournemouth wanted. Now that the deal has ended up significant'y more in our favour, then we have gained a bloke who knows the place and was pretty damn good here in a shit side, so I look forward to seeing what he can deliver in a cracking side like we have now. Up to him as to whether he earns the permanent deal (and he must be aware that we will DEFINITELY be getting another forward of high calibre in the summer whatever he does - perhaps that will motivate him to seriously impress).

My other thought was, I really REALLY don't want to play poker with Fosun. They have fucking owned Bournemouth over this.

Pretty happy at the terms, now we just wait and see how he does. I'm not convinced he'll fit, but another option can't be a bad thing.

As i said the other day on the transfer thread i wasn't sure about Benik coming back but wasn't against it if it was a loan and with the terms we have got no one can moan at it. We have a player that can definitely score goals in this division and may or may not be suited to our style but it gives us a lot of options going forward and that can't be a bad thing. Listening to him too he sounds like he really believes he has unfinished business here and didn't want to leave but could see what a pile of shit we were at that time. Most fans are happy he's back i would say and if he does play Saturday that will only add to the atmosphere.

Back