• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Villa (A) build up

I agree with this.

As much as we did need a Plan B, and seem to have settled on Afobe as the one to provide it, we will likely want to upgrade on our Plan A for next season - false-nines aren't that common, but I could imagine us converting a attacking midfielder to that role just as easily maybe? It's going to be interesting to see who our target is and whether we do keep this team setup so that role is as essential.

I don't think it'll be that difficult to find someone that fits, I wouldn't personally call Bonatini a false nine I think he just struggles to get back into the danger area after doing the link play opposed to what we saw from Afobe last night for his goal where he was on his bike as soon as he'd nodded it down.

Graham did that job very effectively for Swansea when they first went up, Deeney similar for Watford, obviously Graham's days at that level are long behind him and Deeney seems to be losing his effectiveness now too but someone of that ilk could be just the ticket.

I don't think it'll be that difficult to find someone that fits, I wouldn't personally call Bonatini a false nine I think he just struggles to get back into the danger area after doing the link play opposed to what we saw from Afobe last night for his goal where he was on his bike as soon as he'd nodded it down.

Graham did that job very effectively for Swansea when they first went up, Deeney similar for Watford, obviously Graham's days at that level are long behind him and Deeney seems to be losing his effectiveness now too but someone of that ilk could be just the ticket.

I know you disagree but I really think Afobe could be that guy. His link up play, while nowhere near Bonatini's level, is much better than most give him credit for.

I know you disagree but I really think Afobe could be that guy. His link up play, while nowhere near Bonatini's level, is much better than most give him credit for.

Nah, I wouldn't say it is. Still fell over more than anything else last night when he was playing back to goal (and got a couple of generous free kicks). No way he plays the kind of reverse pass that Leo did for Jota in the first half. He was bloody appalling against Norwich.

We know what his strength is, that goal is him all over.

I can only go on what he showed previously when Jackett allowed him to play deeper, in that instance he just became a ball hog and produced nothing. If he can build on what he did in the build up to his goal last night then perhaps there's potential, still a long way to go for him though.

Nah, I wouldn't say it is. Still fell over more than anything else last night when he was playing back to goal (and got a couple of generous free kicks). No way he plays the kind of reverse pass that Leo did for Jota in the first half. He was bloody appalling against Norwich.

We know what his strength is, that goal is him all over.

I think that's fair. A couple of time Afobe tried to get the ball under control and it was like watching a man trying to control a balloon in flip-flops. He just isn't technically good enough to do the job a PL centre forward has to do.

From what I've seen of Andre Silva I think he's just that type of player. We'd do well to get him but I think he'd fly in this system.

On the one Jota appeared to step on, I think Jansson got a slight touch?

Nothing to do with Villa but it needs recording somewhere. It is apparently 6 years ago today that Roger the Relegator turned up drunk for training. Could you imagine that happening under Nuno? Elvis is more likely to turn up for training...

Having watched the highlights now the midfield is N'Diaye and Neves. Some of the passes Alfred played yesterday were, dare I say, Neves-esque. And his contribution in the build up to Jota smacking the crossbar was fucking awesome.

Ruddy will play, but did you see the stat on Sky about keepers with most errors leading to goals on Wednesday? I accept blame is a subjective opinion, but he was joint second with 4 which given his overall workload is poor if true. I can't think of 4 off the top of my head Forest away, Norwich at home are the ones that spring to mind, I thought he could have done better with Fulham's second but it would be harsh to put that down as a mistake.

N'Diaye vs Saiss is a difficult one, as both deserve to start. I don't see Nuno bottling it and putting Neves on the bench or fudging all 3 into the team only to make a half time change (cough Deano). I'd say there is a bigger gap between N'Diaye's best and worst than there is Saiss'. Games like QPR he was a liability in the second half, but against Leeds I thought he deservedly got man of the match and gets into the box in open play more than Saiss does. I think I'd start him, but don't have an issue either way and would make the change quickly if the bad N'Diaye turns up.

Bonatini reminds me of Dadi this time last season, he's trying but you know he doesn't feel like he's going to score and you don't think he will either. That said he offers more to the overall team than Bod did. You have to ask yourself what would Terry prefer to mark, a conventional forward or to be pulled deep out of defence where he will be uncomfortable? If he's out of position and Leo can play the ball round the corner he'll be out of the game. I didn't believe Afobe could play that role before we resigned him and haven't seen anything to change that opinion. The last 25 minutes when the game is more stretched is what suits us better as his position and I'd continue with that.

I thought Bennett was unfortunate to be dropped after one real error in 4 months, but now Batth is in I expect him to remain so.

I am beginning to question Costa's heart, he's bottling challenges and not taking on chances which sticks out more in this side than it might do in others. Unless that changes he wouldn't be in my first 11 again without injuries.

So same team except Neves for Saiss with Hause losing his bench position.

Last edited:
Neves and saiss for me - we play with two sitting midfielders, which allows the full backs and front three to break at will whilst ensuring we keep our shape if they lose it. We can get away with one against dross like Leeds, but need to play properly against Villa, so n’diaye on the bench for me.

Ruddy will play, but did you see the stat on Sky about keepers with most errors leading to goals on Wednesday? I accept blame is a subjective opinion, but he was joint second with 4 which given his overall workload is poor if true. I can't think of 4 off the top of my head Forest away, Norwich at home are the ones that spring to mind, I thought he could have done better with Fulham's second but it would be harsh to put that down as a mistake.

Yeah, I saw that. I was surprised Sky didn't mention it. They had the stats up to prove how shit the Leeds keeper was with 5 errors and there was Ruddy sitting just below him on 4 errors!

Millwall away would be another error I think.

Millwall away would be another error I think.
I'd agree he could have done better with the initial cross, but for me that goal was more about the ball watching at the post from 2/3 players than it was Ruddy.

What about Hull away?

Easily put off by the striker and the ball dropped to Dawson IIRC

4 mistakes in 35 games, 2 of the mistakes costing us points and the other 2 not, with 18 clean sheets... I think I may forgive him just a little

4 mistakes in 35 games, 2 of the mistakes costing us points and the other 2 not, with 18 clean sheets... I think I may forgive him just a little
Fuck him off and bring back Lonners I say

The Leeds keeper made 3 against 'Boro imo absolutely useless.
If Nuno knows anything about any of our squad, surely it's Ruddy.
His kicking is the worst aspect of his game.

For Villa game I'd replace Batth with Bennett, Bonatini with Afobe and Alf with Neves.

I am beginning to question Costa's heart, he's bottling challenges and not taking on chances which sticks out more in this side than it might do in others. Unless that changes he wouldn't be in my first 11 again without injuries.
I'm trying to work out if I agree with this. Certainly think he has bottled a few challenges, and have put that down to fear of him incurring a similar injury. But when you see some of the treatment Jota and Bonatini amongst others have received, it is noticeable.

He was very central when he came on v Leeds and couldn't get into the game. I think he was involved once, on the left hand side touchline. MGW did more in his brief cameo than Costa.

That said, in the 1st half against Norwich, he looked more like his old self.
I wonder if last year he stood out a s a proper diamond in amongst all the shit, whereas comparing him to Jota, Neves et al, he looks more ordinary?

I'm trying to work out if I agree with this. Certainly think he has bottled a few challenges, and have put that down to fear of him incurring a similar injury. But when you see some of the treatment Jota and Bonatini amongst others have received, it is noticeable.

He was very central when he came on v Leeds and couldn't get into the game. I think he was involved once, on the left hand side touchline. MGW did more in his brief cameo than Costa.

I wonder if last year he stood out a s a proper diamond in amongst all the shit, whereas comparing him to Jota, Neves et al, he looks more ordinary?

Nah, last season he picked the ball up with purpose and always looked to run at people. He doesn't do that as much now, possibly under instruction from Nuno.

Think the injury thing is a bit of a red herring, it wasn't an impact injury from a foul or big challenge from memory?

It's a bit odd, when he first arrived last year he looked very sheepish and barely got involved early in the season. Then once he settled down he took the muck and nettles of the Championship in his stride, carrying the team pretty much single handedly at times. This season he largely looks to have reverted to the timid character that first arrived at Wolverhampton last year. He often doesn't appear to work as hard as others in the team when out of possession, think that was very noticeable against Man City where Bright kept ending covering him. He just doesn't look to have the same drive and determination that he had last year, he's looked really put out by some fairly tame challenges in recent games too, defenders just running into the back of him as the ball is played into his feet.

Back