• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Transfer Speculation Thread 2014/15

Jesus Lycan I am now completely depressed after reading those lists

Whilst Mammadov is certainly rich i don't think he's really thrown too much cash around at his football clubs has he?

Now you've depressed me. :( We're going down again aren't we?

Almost as bad as the year before.

O'Hara
Johnson
De Vries

Jonsson

Or the year before that

Guedioura
Van Damme
Fletcher
Mouyokolo

Hunt
Doherty
Hammill
Griffiths
Baso

09/10

Milijas
Hahnemann
Doyle

Surman
Halford
Zubar
Maierhofer

Thank fuck for Kevin Thelwell.

I'd say all the bold were decent signings, on paper at least.

Don't forget we signed well in the Championship, so although, to date, Thelwell has impressed he has a long way to go before we can say thank god.

With the exception of poor old Eggy, our incomings at the time actually quite impressed me!! Hindsight is a great thing.

I was impressed with Solbakken's signings at the time as well.

And yeah, thank $#@! for Kevin Thelwell. Mick calling the shots on transfer policy was a recipe for disaster.

This. Poor scouting and a lack of preparation has hindered us for ages. Thelwell being in place to implement a consistent style of football throughout the whole club and make sure that any new additions fit our system should really help us long term.

Lens have been denied Promotion to Ligue 1 due to Financial issues

Since we're off topic,a bit about Lens' academy: :)

Lens' world class academy has gained prominence through the success of its graduates. Most notable of which is Raphaël Varane, who has cemented a place in the back line of Real Madrid and France with his splendid blend of tenacity, composure and athleticism. Fellow Lens academy graduates include AS Monaco's midfield enforcer Geoffrey Kondogbia, long time Tottenham left back Benoît Assou-Ekotto, maverick trequartista Adel Taarabt, promising Ivorian full back Serge Aurier, West Ham's Mohamed Diamé and Crystal Palace's Jimmy Kébé. An exciting future lies in wait for the likes of Alexandre Coeff, Thorgan Hazard, Timothée Kolodziejczak, Gaël Kakuta, Mehdi Abeid and Ange-Freddy Plumain.

Wikipedia

At the time we made those signings, I think that most on here were quite happy with them. As has been mentioned, isn't hindsight a wonderful thing?

At the time we made those signings, I think that most on here were quite happy with them. As has been mentioned, isn't hindsight a wonderful thing?

Deutsch would have slagged 95% off them off so he could be a smug told you so sod forever more....

I'd say all the bold were decent signings, on paper at least.

I don't think Milijas was a good signing. He may have been a good player on his day but he clearly didn't fit with the rest of the team and McCarthy struggled to find a way to play him. If we'd scouted the likes of Milijas, Van Damme and Mouyokolo more thoroughly the situations with injuries/lack of fitness/homesickness could have been avoided.

It wasn't Van Damme that was homesick was it? It was his wife/girlfriend I think
Had Mouyokolo suffered much before he joined us?
Milijas was signed with a view of changing things I think but Mick couldn't use him properly as he panicked if 11 players couldn't get back and defend and really was unable to alter how he set up the team to play

There was a short period in the 2nd PL season where Milijas looked really useful playing a deep midfield role alongside Jones with Edwards ahead of them, they kept the ball so well but Mick soon went back to tried and trusted, hard running and playing percentages.

Don't think anyone would've picked up the Van Damme family issue, his wife went home to have their baby and decided she never wanted to come back, plain bad luck.

It wasn't Van Damme that was homesick was it? It was his wife/girlfriend I think
Had Mouyokolo suffered much before he joined us?
Milijas was signed with a view of changing things I think but Mick couldn't use him properly as he panicked if 11 players couldn't get back and defend and really was unable to alter how he set up the team to play

I've just been on wiki (I know, I know) and Mouyokolo hasn't even reached the 70 game mark in his entire career.

There was a short period in the 2nd PL season where Milijas looked really useful playing a deep midfield role alongside Jones with Edwards ahead of them, they kept the ball so well but Mick soon went back to tried and trusted, hard running and playing percentages.

He was having his best spell leading up to the Arsenal game where he was sent off (wrongly) and then that was that for him really

Back