• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Transfer Speculation Thread 2014/15

22-23 or something I think

Thankfully we've not played long ball since Deano thought that would be the best way to use Siggy. KJ seems averse to this style of play, thank God.

I really don't see what the problem with the "long ball" style is providing its not your only method and you do it well, it served Man U well when Beckham was there. Obviously would not want it to be our first or main style but surely its a good thing to have several different "strings to your bow" sometimes the neat short passing game just doesn't work or the opposition nullify it and you need an alternative. Of course if by long bal you mean just lumping it forward to a big donkey in hope, then I am against that

Man Utd played long ball with Beckham? Eh? Are you smoking the crack pipe tonight?

The one at Leicester according to the Leicester Mercury and tomorrow's E&S exclusive.

The one at Leicester according to the Leicester Mercury and tomorrow's E&S exclusive.

Wolves may be in for Chris Wood, but I would not place too much reliance on the Leicester Mercury. I know Leicester fans who refuse to read it because they believe the newspaper makes it up as they go along.

Can see Callum Wilson being a more viable target than Chris Wood at the minute

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whenever I've seen Wood I've come away with the impression that he's much more than just a target man.

Wolves may be in for Chris Wood, but I would not place too much reliance on the Leicester Mercury. I know Leicester fans who refuse to read it because they believe the newspaper makes it up as they go along.

Uninteresting fact of the day is that the Leicester City reporter for the Leicester Mercury lives opposite my dad. He was in the year below me at school and married a girl who was in my year. He's a sound chap who even took the trouble to clear snow from my old mans drive the last time we had heavy snowfall. Looking at the Mercury he is their equivalent of Tim Nash.

From reading Leicester fans forums, it seems the general consensus of opinion is that a loan would suit them best. They seem to like him and think he has (as yet unrealised) potential and a season-long loan to us getting regular first team football would suit both parties. They also want to see a recall clause just in case he starts banging in goals left right and centre. Of course, if he came here, he wouldn't necessarily be guaranteed first team football, would he?

Cross field passes are not long balls. He does play a few in that clip, most of which are for PSG and LA, very few for Man Utd. I'm not sure you understand what 'long ball' means.

Thats the point I was trying to make, a long pass (ball) doesn't have to be ugly, if its a good quality ball to a decent target man, it can be very effective and not unpleasant to watch as an alternative to trying to short pass all the way to the box. If by long ball you mean a cumbersome centre half just lumping aimlessly forward, then I'm with you, but it doesn't have to be like that and I don't think we should discount someone like Chris Wood on the basis that it will mean we would revert to a kick and run style...theres more than one way to skin a cat

I was referring to long ball as a style of play. Perhaps hoof ball would have been more accurate.

I think the Chris Wood thing is an obvious link to make for the papers so hard to say if there is any truth in it. I'd imagine a loan is more likely if anything happens with a view to a permanent switch if it ends up suiting both parties.

Thats the point I was trying to make, a long pass (ball) doesn't have to be ugly, if its a good quality ball to a decent target man, it can be very effective and not unpleasant to watch as an alternative to trying to short pass all the way to the box. If by long ball you mean a cumbersome centre half just lumping aimlessly forward, then I'm with you, but it doesn't have to be like that and I don't think we should discount someone like Chris Wood on the basis that it will mean we would revert to a kick and run style...theres more than one way to skin a cat

I agree with this btw, Everton two years ago played quite a long game but we're still good to watch as it was accurate long passes to Fellaini who brought others in to play. Much different to kick and rush or hoofball and hope that others play.

I think we are getting at the same thing - 'Long ball' is a tactic, 'long pass' is a technique.

Beckham's range of passing is the best I've ever seen in any direction. As for Chris Wood, I agree with you, I've seen him a few times and his technique is very good at Championship level and his size and touch is pretty good, he would pose a different problem to Dicko that's for sure and I hope we don't use Wood as a target man as he's better than that, he doesn't have the pace of Dicko, granted, and it would mean a change of the formation that has worked so well for us which I don't think any of us want to see.

at 09:38
Championship side Wolverhampton Wanderers make a third bid for Sheffield United defender Harry Maguire, reports the Birmingham Mail.
The newspaper reports that the offer is believed to be around £2m.

United rejected Wolves' first two offers for 21-year-old centre-back Maguire, who has been offered a new contract at Bramall Lane.

Back