• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Transfer Speculation Thread 2014/15

It's off topic but would Jacobs work as one of the midfield two?

I don't think he has to be identical in style. But what they both do is occupy centre backs and both have pace which means the opposition defence won't push so high up against us.

No. I remember KJ dropping him in their second half against Rotherham last season and the game went mental! :icon_lol:

Tranmere away last season when we moved Edwards to right back, we actually did play him there alongside McDonald and he was fine, but only because Tranmere showed no intentions of attacking, even on the counter attack

I think a quality attacking midfielder who can link the midfield to attack will take us up a gear. However, finding one is not so easy!

That's what I'd like to see and I think we have one in Jacobs, Jackett doesn't seem to want to play that way though. That's odd to me as it was so effective last season. I don't know what's changed internally to make him change his style but clearly something has.

I don't think he has to be identical in style. But what they both do is occupy centre backs and both have pace which means the opposition defence won't push so high up against us.

Like I say early days and I'd certainly what to see a lot more of him before I'd really want to make this comment, but I don't think our style of play will suit him.

Not for me, he would be woeful defensively. Evans is the man to bring in if we want to go a bit more expansive in that area. Can understand why Ken doesn't want to though.

I don't think so, no. He hasn't got a clue defensively. Play him behind the striker or not at all.

Not for me, he would be woeful defensively. Evans is the man to bring in if we want to go a bit more expansive in that area. Can understand why Ken doesn't want to though.

Greatest double post of all times, you even managed to get the words to change.

:icon_lol:

The WiFi in here is so poor that by the time it had made its mind up to post, I'd changed my mind on what I wanted to say.

He'll be a better option than Clarke no doubt but from the admittedly small sample of highlights he does look perhaps a little one dimensional at this stage in his career, unless he's able to run off the last man and get in behind i can't see him offering too much of a threat. If someone sits deep to close that space or has the match of him chasing back then he doesn't seem to have an alternative approach to trouble defenders yet, both of those scenarios were on show against Charlton, he failed to get away from Bikey on the couple of times he was played through first half and then Charlton had shut that space down completely in the 2nd half and it was always Dicko who came wider or deeper to receive the ball whilst Afobe stayed largely anonymous.

As Penk says, it's early days yet though.

How the hell are people (not on here) using this to slag off the club? I've seen some people suggest that we were 'idiots' not to accept (the same folk would've been furious if he'd been sold, especially to WBA), some are saying that we're only releasing this info to gloss over our lack of signings and some saying that we've outright made it up to make ourselves look better!

You just can't win with some people!

IMO we need the opposite of that. We need a player who is willing to carry the ball forward from deep, and create opportunities. Our problem is we don't have enough meaningful shots, not that we can't retain possession or win the ball back. The problem is we don't have enough meaningful possession. A 'SNOTTA' is just going to make us even worse going forward and isn't actually going to help us defend as that currently isn't a problem and we'll have less possession!

McDonald could be the midfielder we need, he could be just held back tactically at the moment or maybe he's just not good enough.

I agree with part of this, but when we're not in possession at least one of a midfield two need to take on their defensive responsibility and McDonald and Evans don't or can't do this to an adequate standard.

Price does though. As evidenced by 4 goals against in 8 games. That is the payoff at the moment.

And Lycan, we have fans with whom you can never win. If we spent £20m they'd want £30m spending. We have some awful fans, more so than most clubs.

How the hell are people (not on here) using this to slag off the club? I've seen some people suggest that we were 'idiots' not to accept (the same folk would've been furious if he'd been sold, especially to WBA), some are saying that we're only releasing this info to gloss over our lack of signings and some saying that we've outright made it up to make ourselves look better!

You just can't win with some people!

Not that I'm slagging off the club because isn't really my style, but it isn't quite the bright story that they've made it out to be - he would have gone if we'd managed to get in a replacement.

£2 million is a derisory offer, even for someone whose contract is expiring, for a club with our current league position.

Not that I'm slagging off the club because isn't really my style, but it isn't quite the bright story that they've made it out to be - he would have gone if we'd managed to get in a replacement.

Possibly. But proving that statement is impossible.

Would that really have been so much worse? He's put in a proper shift here and as far as I'm concerned he's paid us back tenfold by sticking with us through League One.

Would that really have been so much worse? He's put in a proper shift here and as far as I'm concerned he's paid us back tenfold by sticking with us through League One.

Yes imo...We haven't looked balanced without Sako in the side

Back