• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Transfer Speculation Thread 2014/15

Derby bank rolled a couple we could have gone for....didn't cost an Arabs Oil field either

I'd hazard a guess that Tom Ince is on more than anyone at Wolves bar Kevin Doyle. Unless you know differently of course.

Well that isn't logical is it? They are going to want to choose Derby at the moment. Secure league position up there, which we hope to be breaking into. Carlos Kickaball wanting to go out on loan is bound to prefer Derby at the moment. However, Bournemouth, despite their excellent position in the table and huge funding (check out what their owner is worth - he makes Morgan look like a pauper) couldn't get a deal over the line. Until they get promoted most top flight footballers are going to think of them as a footballing backwater of minimal interest.

While the old style midfield general/hard man maybe a thing of the past, there is no doubt in my mind we could do with a CM who is prepared to close down the opposition and get some tackles in, during our desperate November half the problem was this leaving our defence exposed, in the end we had to put Edwards in there for a couple of games and put VLP up front to stretch the opposition a bit. Bringing Price back also helped but his distribution needs work. As it is unless we get some-one in on loan we stuck with what we've got, hopefully our midfield can step it up a bit.

Well that isn't logical is it? They are going to want to choose Derby at the moment. Secure league position up there, which we hope to be breaking into. Carlos Kickaball wanting to go out on loan is bound to prefer Derby at the moment. However, Bournemouth, despite their excellent position in the table and huge funding (check out what their owner is worth - he makes Morgan look like a pauper) couldn't get a deal over the line. Until they get promoted most top flight footballers are going to think of them as a footballing backwater of minimal interest.

Of course it is logical

I was born in Wolverhampton
Lived in Wolverhampton
Played my football in Wolverhampton
Support Wolverhampton

So if I had a choice between Rams and Wolves....it is Wolves every day of the week

While the old style midfield general/hard man maybe a thing of the past, there is no doubt in my mind we could do with a CM who is prepared to close down the opposition and get some tackles in, during our desperate November half the problem was this leaving our defence exposed, in the end we had to put Edwards in there for a couple of games and put VLP up front to stretch the opposition a bit. Bringing Price back also helped but his distribution needs work. As it is unless we get some-one in on loan we stuck with what we've got, hopefully our midfield can step it up a bit.

Arrr another comes out the woodwork

I knew you agreed all along

We need to upgrade number ten
We need to upgrade the midfield

Odd, on the 19th of January Edgmond seemed quite happy with Edwards. No pressing need for an upgrade less than three weeks ago but it's crucial now?

Dave is not an individual he is a team player

He creates a lot of space for others to exploit, covers in midfield and pulls defences to allow Dicko the space.

He is actually critical to the way we play

Only one goal behind Sako too.......

Of course it is logical

I was born in Wolverhampton
Lived in Wolverhampton
Played my football in Wolverhampton
Support Wolverhampton

So if I had a choice between Rams and Wolves....it is Wolves every day of the week

Which part of without Wolves tinted glasses did you miss?

No loan signing in the World would choose us over Derby at the moment.

I loved watching Michael Essien when he first signed for Chelsea, before his injury.

The stamina he had was inhuman. Quality player.

We need to upgrade number ten
We need to upgrade the midfield

Now when we cut it down to just these two points, I think you are indisputably correct. For me, these are the two things we need to look out for. However, I would refer you back to earlier in the season, and a sriker was seen as ahead of these two points. This window has seen that addressed with the signing of Afobe. I know that we have two on the books now, plus basically Doyle and kids, but playing one up front as we do, the position has been addressed.

Midfield - we tried to address it last summer with Rowe and Saville. Not cheap. And they haven't paid off for reasons of injury or not being anything like ready yet. In my opinion (which is well and truly open for challenge) the current midfield would be improved by having Evans in it. The manager disagrees and he knows rather more than me, and he also lives and dies by that decision.

If I was going to try to upgrade the midfield, I think it is actually McDonald I would be wanting to upgrade. Rolls Royce in League One, decent enough in this competition but could do better. Trouble is, I fear to get a guaranteed consistent upgrade, we would be talking north of £4m. FFP means that is a little difficult to do with Doyle still on the books, although the removal of Johnson may well help.

IMO we need the opposite of that. We need a player who is willing to carry the ball forward from deep, and create opportunities. Our problem is we don't have enough meaningful shots, not that we can't retain possession or win the ball back. The problem is we don't have enough meaningful possession. A 'SNOTTA' is just going to make us even worse going forward and isn't actually going to help us defend as that currently isn't a problem and we'll have less possession!

McDonald could be the midfielder we need, he could be just held back tactically at the moment or maybe he's just not good enough.

Odd, on the 19th of January Edgmond seemed quite happy with Edwards. No pressing need for an upgrade less than three weeks ago but it's crucial now?

Yep and I stand by what I posted...he is crucial to how we play.....doesn't mean I don't want an upgrade

The
Now when we cut it down to just these two points, I think you are indisputably correct. For me, these are the two things we need to look out for. However, I would refer you back to earlier in the season, and a sriker was seen as ahead of these two points. This window has seen that addressed with the signing of Afobe. I know that we have two on the books now, plus basically Doyle and kids, but playing one up front as we do, the position has been addressed.

Midfield - we tried to address it last summer with Rowe and Saville. Not cheap. And they haven't paid off for reasons of injury or not being anything like ready yet. In my opinion (which is well and truly open for challenge) the current midfield would be improved by having Evans in it. The manager disagrees and he knows rather more than me, and he also lives and dies by that decision.

If I was going to try to upgrade the midfield, I think it is actually McDonald I would be wanting to upgrade. Rolls Royce in League One, decent enough in this competition but could do better. Trouble is, I fear to get a guaranteed consistent upgrade, we would be talking north of £4m. FFP means that is a little difficult to do with Doyle still on the books, although the removal of Johnson may well help.

My post is basically the same...

Upgrade Number ten
Upgrade midfield

And slowly slowly despite all the shit thrown my way one by one you agree

The

My post is basically the same...

Upgrade Number ten
Upgrade midfield

And slowly slowly despite all the shit thrown my way one by one you agree

I don't think anyone has actually disagreed with the idea just the over usage of words that generally mean fuck all "We need a midfield general" (amongst other things) is why you have people coming at you.
Unless Dave Edwards family post on here, you won't find many who think we don't need to upgrade where he plays, despite him being in his best form as a Wolves player since January last year.

We don't need a "snotter". What we do need is someone from our midfield to take responsibility and drive us forward and increase the tempo of our play in games like the Charlton one. In the current formation and personnel that needs to be McDonald, but he hasn't been doing it.

So what type of 10 then? And who?

Nobody has disputed upgrades are needed. if you take your arrogance specs off you'll find that most people have disagreed with your nonsense labels and no ambition remarks.

We don't need a "snotter". What we do need is someone from our midfield to take responsibility and drive us forward and increase the tempo of our play in games like the Charlton one. In the current formation and personnel that needs to be McDonald, but he hasn't been doing it.

I think that's a style issue with KJ, he clearly doesn't play that way. We get the ball wide when we can, which is the opposite to last season where we would drive centrally or wide. I think the change has not helped McD

So what type of 10 then? And who?

Nobody has disputed upgrades are needed. if you take your arrogance specs off you'll find that most people have disagreed with your nonsense labels and no ambition remarks.

So basically you are saying you are all English teachers, snobs or being petty

Back