• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Transfer Speculation Thread 2014/15

Is upgrading as easy as picking low fruit off of a tree though? Maybe Jackett knows what he needs to take us to the next level but the players are either unavailable or outside of the budgetary constraints that he has to work to.

Everyone always wants to see the squad (and more importantly, first XI) improved. There are ways and means of expressing that though. Repeating the same stock phrases not being a good way.

I saw our supposed lack of strength in depth mentioned the other day.

http://www.wolves.co.uk/news/article/henrys-importance-2247247.aspx

"To win games and get points you need players coming off the bench as well and hopefully you can get somewhere around about 18-20 players who are of a similar standard.

“That’s the idea and that’s the ideal so that then you can make the kind of substitution as on Saturday that can turn a defeat into a draw.

"The strength of squad, strength of that 18, is vital but to go beyond 18-20, I don't think it’s really necessary and you don’t really get the focus.

"Players in and around it are always close to either being on the bench or getting onto the pitch, then their interest level is maintained.

There you go. The manager doesn't want a squad any bigger than what he has, he isn't interested in having loads of players sitting around doing nothing. But the club has no ambition, we should have popped down to the Big Championship Superstore, wandered down the Stereotype Aisle and picked ourselves up some players.

I read that todays Spurs squad has 41 in number, cost 200 million, yet the fans sing Harry Kane, He's one of us.

Strange how some people spend weeks moaning about certain players on the verdict thread. Then when we didn't upgrade on the last day of the transfer window, they say we didn't need to upgrade.

Strange how some people spend weeks moaning about certain players on the verdict thread. Then when we didn't upgrade on the last day of the transfer window, they say we didn't need to upgrade.
Its not our call, its the call of the manager of Wolverhampton Wanderers. We should trust him to do his job.

Who has said they didn't want us to improve the squad?

I don't think anyone is arguing that we don't need to upgrade in certain positions, rather that those upgrades aren't simply falling into our lap.

It's easy to say "we want a player that can do this this and this", it's much more difficult to actually find that player AND meet transfer cost/wage demands/etc.

Morgan? #doingitonthecheapaywe

You can see his point. I'd definitely rather play in a rubbish league, pick up about £5m a year in broadcast revenue and watch our parachute money run out than get £80m a year, loads of global exposure and a guaranteed minimum five years of substantial income.

To make sure people don't get suspicious about your lack of ambition though, cover your tracks by spending £2m+ on a striker and not selling a bloke who is going to leave for free in four months.

I love how easy people think it is to just go out and sign the player you need.

It's a results business. If we go up, you were right. If we don't, we should have spent to upgrade the players, you thought we weren't good enough in your verdict threads.

I hope you are right and we get promoted. Time will tell. It will be interesting reading the verdict threads in the coming weeks.

Last edited:
It's a results business. If we go up, you were right. If we don't, we should have spent to upgrade the players, you thought weren't good enough in your verdict threads.

I hope you are right and we get promoted. Time will tell. It will be interesting reading the verdict threads in the coming weeks.

You do realise what I think of a player or players makes no difference to what the club do?

This is what I said on Monday:

Personally I would have liked to see more incoming players - I am not sold on either Henry or Van La Parra at this level (if you combined the two you'd have a great player), I definitely want to see Edwards upgraded on because there are far too many games that he just doesn't affect which isn't good enough in the position he plays (and Jacobs clearly isn't going to get a chance), and if we could have signed a central midfielder that would enable us to play 4-4-2 from time to time, that would have been great too - at the moment I don't think it's really a viable option. We're fine at the back now we have got rid of the weakest link from the starting XI.

However I don't think it's a disaster at all. Keeping Sako and signing Afobe is an unspectacular but decent window. I was really getting at the inference that the club has done nothing at all - when in fact they have addressed what would have been 99.99999% of fans' biggest priority. Not a loan either or a quick stopgap, a player who should benefit us for a long time. That shouldn't be written off as "nothing".

Could we have done more, probably yes although it's a bit dangerous to automatically write it off as a lack of ambition when there could be any number of factors why we haven't. I really don't think you can overstate the impact of those two drains on the wage bill, just from January to the end of their deals they are costing us about £1.7m. It has to affect what we can afford to pay out.

Same applies now a whole three days later.

I love how easy people think it is to just go out and sign the player you need.

Go to player search:

Passing <15
Tackling <15
Work rate <15
Influence <15
Stamina <15

MIDFIELD GENERAL

Back