• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Transfer Speculation Thread 2014/15

I think your problem is that you want players that fit your ethos (based on KJ's system last season) and the manager clearly does not want a new 10, ball playing or not. I've been thinking the same way as have many others on here. Midfield Generals is a nonsense phrase that doesn't apply to any players anymore other than the press.

Wrong again

Y Toure fits the bill perfectly
A strong player in the tackle
A ball winner
A box to box player
A midfield general

Guess you would dismiss him as those are old hat expressions

He's a lazy sod of a player. Brilliant going one way, couldn't care less going the other.

Loll
true - but neither do you Edgmond. Your list is by definition what you want. I definitely agree about it would have been great to upgrade David Edwards, but you also have to ask quite how much that would have cost.

As others have said midfield general doesn't really apply in the game in 2015. What would a Paul Ince pointing out the mistakes of others bring to the team? A Roy Keane figure now would be a disciplinary liability and would miss huge chunks of a season through suspension. When I think of general, I think the position is actually further back in the side. More of a Beckenbauer style player.

Ideally, we would LOVE to have a Paul Scholes but with tackling ability in the side, but they don't grow on trees.

See post above,,midfield general does apply in 2015 unless you can't see from where you sit

You can see his point. I'd definitely rather play in a rubbish league, pick up about £5m a year in which broadcast revenue and watch our parachute money run out than get £80m a year, loads of global exposure and a guaranteed minimum five years of substantial income.

To make sure people don't get suspicious about your lack of ambition though, cover your tracks by spending £2m+ on a striker and not selling a bloke who is going to leave for free in four months.

Lack of ambition really?

Which players that are within the grasp of Wolves fit into the type of player (general, lolz) you want us to sign?

I don't think anyone is arguing that we don't need to upgrade in certain positions, rather that those upgrades aren't simply falling into our lap.

It's easy to say "we want a player that can do this this and this", it's much more difficult to actually find that player AND meet transfer cost/wage demands/etc.

Derby did it

Derby did it

how about Bournemouth, if we are throwing team names around. Just trying to count up all the players they signed in January despite effectively standing in the middle of the League with a big wad of money and asking who wants a bit.

Wrong again

Y Toure fits the bill perfectly
A strong player in the tackle
A ball winner
A box to box player
A midfield general

Guess you would dismiss him as those are old hat expressions

What a load of rubbish. This exposes your nonsense term as the rubbish it is, worse still it exposes your extremely vapid knowledge of football. You carry on babbling away though you might convince somebody although you might be here a while.

Yaya Toure is about as box to box as I am. If you are going a true "midfield general" that person is more likely sat in the middle, spraying passes around and breaking play up. Box to box midfielders certainly aren't midfield generals as they are bombing around and don't do the directing of play.

What a load of rubbish. This exposes your nonsense term as the rubbish it is, worse still it exposes your extremely vapid knowledge of football. You carry on babbling away though you might convince somebody although you might be here a while.

It might surprise you Johnny, but at least you haven't changed your story. I remember you saying on the Charlton verdict that KJ maybe might not want to play with a different type of number 10, that many on the verdict thread were calling out for. So fair play there. But if you read the Charlton thread, others were calling out for a new number 10 and that we needed to buy a new one.
A few people, who are having a go at Edgmond, were saying the same thing as he is saying now, only about 2 weeks ago, on the Charton thread.
At the end of the season we will see, if we were good enough. So till then, it's all about opinions.

;)

It might surprise you Johnny, but at least you haven't changed your story. I remember you saying on the Charlton verdict that KJ maybe might not want to play with a different type of number 10, that many on the verdict thread were calling out for. So fair play there. But if you read the Charlton thread, others were calling out for a new number 10 and that we needed to buy a new one.
A few people, who are having a go at Edgmond, were saying the same thing as he is saying now, only about 2 weeks ago, on the Charton thread.
At the end of the season we will see, if we were good enough. So till then, it's all about opinions.

Let them have a go....I don't give a shit :)

Of course it is all opinions. Cosy consensus is pretty damn boring to be fair. However, people are entitled to challenge opinions, in the same way as you are allowed to challenge theirs. When you just keep repeating a cliche (midfield general) and then when asked to define it come out with a definition that looks like it has holes in it, you are likely to get challenged.

Look, I would FUCKING LOVE IT if we had a Yaya Toure and a Paul Scholes in our side. However, you need to understand our position in the football food chain. If those players are available, then Manchester City, Chelsea, etc etc are going to be signing them. And they will cost many many millions of pounds. Our ONLY way to get those players is to either pick up a gem from lower levels and polish it, or bring someone with those abilities through our youth system. THAT is why the academy plans are so important to the mid to long term ambitions of the club. Jam today with that sort of quality of player isn't going to happen at Wolves this side of an Oil Sheikh or Russian multi-billionaire taking up residence in the Chairman's flat in the Billy Wright.

Let them have a go....I don't give a shit :)
Who are you blaming for us not signing a no10? Seems like you think its the posters on here to blame...

I don't like Edwards myself, but it seems Kenny does, if he chooses to play and keep him that's up to him.

As for the midfield general... The only one I can see in the championship who comes close is Davis, and err no thanks. It's not really needed in our formation, or modern football, in general.

I think, on top of the Yaya Toure and Paul Scholes things, what we actually need, what would be utterly perfect for the team as it stands at the moment, is the Championship equivalent of a 2005 era Steven Gerrard. The difficult thing is finding that player, and being able to pay for them.

Well Yaya Toure, Paul Scholes and Stevie G makes a change from reading "We need an Alex Rae" I suppose....

Of course it is all opinions. Cosy consensus is pretty damn boring to be fair. However, people are entitled to challenge opinions, in the same way as you are allowed to challenger theirs. When you just keep repeating a cliche (midfield general) and then when asked to define it come out with a definition that looks like it has holes in it, you are likely to get challenged.

Look, I would $#@!ING LOVE IT if we had a Yaya Toure and a Paul Scholes in our side. However, you need to understand our position in the football food chain. If those players are available, then Manchester City, Chelsea, etc etc are going to be signing them. And they will cost many many millions of pounds. Our ONLY way to get those players is to either pick up a gem from lower levels and polish it, or bring someone with those abilities through our youth system. THAT is why the academy plans are so important to the mid to long term ambitions of the club. Jam today with that sort of quality of player isn't going to happen at Wolves this side of an Oil Sheikh or Russian multi-billionaire taking up residence in the Chairman's flat in the Billy Wright.

Derby bank rolled a couple we could have gone for....didn't cost an Arabs Oil field either

Back