• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Transfer Speculation Thread 2014/15

So basically you are saying you are all English teachers, snobs or being petty

Edwards would be the next position I would upgrade, but it's not that easy, especially as we'd probably either need to take a risk on a lower league player, which might not work or cost in excess of £4m, which again, isn't guaranteed.

I think people are taking the pee out of your Football Manager approach.

inb4 "Derby did it"

So basically you are saying you are all English teachers, snobs or being petty

No that's not what was said. You used the labels, you should know what you mean. You don't and haven't explained them so in essence you're talking rubbish.

I'll ask again, what kind of 10 and who? Unless you answer these types of questions then your glib remarks will get the treatment they deserve.

How often through his career has Kenny Jackett played with what many people perceive to be a conventional ten?
If Wolves did upgrade would he look for a better version of Edwards who generally fills the duel purpose role of second striker as well as adding a body to the midfield when required.
Thats a totally different type of player to the likes of Lingard and Ince whose key skill is running with the ball and going past opponents. Something Kenny Jackett has on the bench should he require it in the shape of Michael Jacobs.

No that's not what was said. You used the labels, you should know what you mean. You don't and haven't explained them so in essence you're talking rubbish.

I'll ask again, what kind of 10 and who? Unless you answer these types of questions then your glib remarks will get the treatment they deserve.

Johnny, he wants an upgrade for Edwards. Something that the same people who are asking Edgmond to explain what he means, have been asking for on the verdict threads and even on this thread before the transfer deadline closed.

Johnny, what you are doing is what you quite often do, you are judging for the whole of TWF. He did answer what type of player he wanted. He does know what type of player he means. The same type of player that many posters have been asking for, for months.Including some of the little group, who are now asking him to explain.
Please don't tell posters they will get what they deserve, which in essence means that a poster will be bullied by in reality the same 3 or 4 posters that always do it. It means the forum doesn't get more people joining, because of an elitist attitude of a very few posters.

THM, I think you need to reread my post and then I think you need to let the moderators do what they do.

If it were that easy we'd all be managers

My simple answer to Johnny would be Edwards with a bit more pace and can play football too. Easier said than done, eh?

My simple answer to Johnny would be Edwards with a bit more pace and can play football too. Easier said than done, eh?

Would a player trying to play more football in the Edwards role take away what Kenny Jackett is asking of Dave Edwards the ability to get forward quickly when Wolves are in possession to provide that second striker threat?

Would a player trying to play more football in the Edwards role take away what Kenny Jackett is asking of Dave Edwards the ability to get forward quickly when Wolves are in possession to provide that second striker threat?

It depends who you are playing and the situation. If you're playing teams like Blackpool and Charlton who put 10 men behind the ball then you'd need him to play more football to try and break them down, but then when you were playing in more open game you'd want him to be able to control a ball and use the ball when he has made those runs.

To be fair, you're probably asking the wrong person because tactics, formation, etc. isn't something I know a lot about, but it is obvious where Edwards' weaknesses are.

It depends who you are playing and the situation. If you're playing teams like Blackpool and Charlton who put 10 men behind the ball then you'd need him to play more football to try and break them down, but then when you were playing in more open game you'd want him to be able to control a ball and use the ball when he has made those runs.

To be fair, you're probably asking the wrong person because tactics, formation, etc. isn't something I know a lot about, but it is obvious where Edwards' weaknesses are.

I don't think anybody's opinion should be discounted just questioned and that's what I have tried to do. I guess you're thinking more of a Frank Lampard type player at 10? I can see that, as you say they don't grow on trees but you would think a competent recruitment department would go for one in the summer (if not on loan).

I think LK has put it best in that Jackett has a crafty player with guile and vision available to him and he's not using him there. Whereas he is using a runner/ hard working player (Edwards) there consistently. I've watched 3 Jackett teams now and his style of play has been similar in all 3, get it wide and get it in (Millwall was very direct at times too) so I don't see him changing that much.

This whole argument with Edgemond has come about because he accused the club of showing no ambition in the transfer window and then not upgrading/ buying a midfield general (?) and a number 10.

Thats the point being made to Edmund, just maybe Dave Edwards is playing exactly how Kenny Jackett wants him to play, why there is no upgrade and why he is continually selected.

One thing that surprises me about Dave Edwards is that it seems that in his time at Wolves he has improved in the stronger aspects of his game but not really improved his weaker skills. He seems to be a hard worker. So I wonder what an extra hour a day concentrating on basic skills would do for him.

I think a player like Jacobs (playing at this level like he did last season) is perfect for us.It's strange to me that he hasn't been given that opportunity in that position, which makes me think it's down to a poor attitude from the payer, or that maybe Kenny is too cautious and can't trust that can't of player in the middle.

When we came up against teams last season who just defended, we generally has the quality to break them down and Jacobs was an important part of that. When we were under the cosh and hit teams on the break, Jacobs was often the player on the end of things in similar vein to Edwards (ie his two goals at Brentford away) and he scored a few headers good in the air even for someone of his size.. Granted, this is at the division below but in all honesty he was the one player, Sako aside, that I thought would make the step up most comfortably.

I think having this type of player would make it click, just like it did last season. If not Jacobs, someone like Pritchard who is proving himself at this level well.

This whole argument with Edgemond has come about because he accused the club of showing no ambition in the transfer window and then not upgrading/ buying a midfield general (?) and a number 10.

Indeed and when this kind of story breaks:

http://www.expressandstar.com/sport.../wolves-reject-west-brom-bid-for-bakary-sako/

AND we spent £2m+ on Afobe the 'no ambition' line just doesn't add up. This has been pointed out to him numerous times and he ignores it and repeats the same couple of lines. You can see why it annoys people because that is not a debate. Doing that and crying about being ganged up on is ruining the back and forth.

I'm sure he can have a proper discussion about it if he wants. If he wants to behave like a child then he can't complain if people treat him as such.

And yes, as LK says - the manager does not appear to want to upgrade that position. He seems happy with what Edwards does. By and large I am not. In the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter what I think.

When Wolves have changed who plays the ten role in whatever form it doesn't tend to change Wolves win ratio to a great extent. What does change Wolves win ratio is not having speed up top in the striker position. Something Kenny Jackett identified and rectified (covered) during the transfer window.
Basically Kenny Jackett has sorted it as he See's fit.

I would say the striker is definitely most important to keep us in games, as otherwise we seem to crumble. That's why signing Afobe was the priority, plus keeping Sako.

I think a quality attacking midfielder who can link the midfield to attack will take us up a gear. However, finding one is not so easy!

It's early days yet for Afobe, but he seems to have very similar attributes to Dicko.

From the limited amount that I've seen of Afobe, I thought they were totally different players. Afobe seem to be more of a striker that want's to make runs off the shoulder of the last defender from through balls or balls over the top. Too early to judge at the moment, but I'm not sure Afobe is the equivalent to Dicko that we were looking for.

From the limited amount that I've seen of Afobe, I thought they were totally different players. Afobe seem to be more of a striker that want's to make runs off the shoulder of the last defender from through balls or balls over the top. Too early to judge at the moment, but I'm not sure Afobe is the equivalent to Dicko that we were looking for.

The highlights of him at MK that someone put up before he signed certainly looked that way, pretty much every goal on there was him being put clean through behind the defence, there didn't seem to be much on there of him dropping deep to link up with midfield and create nor much of him needing to beat players to work a shooting position.

Back