• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Transfer Speculation Thread 2014/15

Deutch you talk al ot of sense on here ,but on this you IMO are very wrong.

In December a board member told me that they were looking to strengthen in at least two areas and that several targets for each position had been indentified and the money made available to secure the signings

I assume that the targeted players would fit into the money allocated for this window.
All we have got is Afobe, who I hope will be a great player for us.

So clearly the club has recognised a need for several new players, but not signed them. All I can assume is that the budget allocated was too small which shows a lack of real desire from Morgen to get promoted. Or that they decided to spend it all on Afobe. Therefore budget was only @ £2m which for a financially stable club of our size having received an £8m parachute payment (I believe) in August is just not good enough

Or the 'selling club' upped their valuation?

Or the targeted player didn't want to move to Wolves?

Or the player's agent got them a better, higher paid deal elsewhere?

Or the players picked up an injury along the way?

But nah, it's always Morgan's fault isn't it?

Langers two of yours points prove that Morgan will not spend the money other clubs we are in competition with will.
i DO NOT WANT RASH SPENDING BUT WE HAVE A GREAT OPPORTUNITY WHICH i FEAR WILL BE LOST DUE TO A LACK OF INVESTMENT

Who knows? Sure, it's disappointing, particularly seeing that we are not scoring goals by the bucket-load, but we have a decent squad and failure to secure any more signings is not the end of the world, is it?

Deutch you talk al ot of sense on here ,but on this you IMO are very wrong.

In December a board member told me that they were looking to strengthen in at least two areas and that several targets for each position had been indentified and the money made available to secure the signings

I assume that the targeted players would fit into the money allocated for this window.
All we have got is Afobe, who I hope will be a great player for us.

So clearly the club has recognised a need for several new players, but not signed them. All I can assume is that the budget allocated was too small which shows a lack of real desire from Morgen to get promoted. Or that they decided to spend it all on Afobe. Therefore budget was only @ £2m which for a financially stable club of our size having received an £8m parachute payment (I believe) in August is just not good enough

Personally I would have liked to see more incoming players - I am not sold on either Henry or Van La Parra at this level (if you combined the two you'd have a great player), I definitely want to see Edwards upgraded on because there are far too many games that he just doesn't affect which isn't good enough in the position he plays (and Jacobs clearly isn't going to get a chance), and if we could have signed a central midfielder that would enable us to play 4-4-2 from time to time, that would have been great too - at the moment I don't think it's really a viable option. We're fine at the back now we have got rid of the weakest link from the starting XI.

However I don't think it's a disaster at all. Keeping Sako and signing Afobe is an unspectacular but decent window. I was really getting at the inference that the club has done nothing at all - when in fact they have addressed what would have been 99.99999% of fans' biggest priority. Not a loan either or a quick stopgap, a player who should benefit us for a long time. That shouldn't be written off as "nothing".

Could we have done more, probably yes although it's a bit dangerous to automatically write it off as a lack of ambition when there could be any number of factors why we haven't. I really don't think you can overstate the impact of those two drains on the wage bill, just from January to the end of their deals they are costing us about £1.7m. It has to affect what we can afford to pay out.

Langers two of yours points prove that Morgan will not spend the money other clubs we are in competition with will.
i DO NOT WANT RASH SPENDING BUT WE HAVE A GREAT OPPORTUNITY WHICH i FEAR WILL BE LOST DUE TO A LACK OF INVESTMENT

What did we use to buy Afobe? Tiger Tokens? It was the area we needed to strengthen above all others so the window hasn't been a total disaster assuming no further business is done and we're stuck with what we've got (resists mentioning the phrase 'loan window').

Frustrating not to have added further names to the squad, and I'm not for one moment suggesting we don't need to strengthen, but it's clear to me that the transfer market is not as simple as many people think. I don't want us to pay over the odds, and I don't want us to fill the squad up with 'filler' either, just to satisfy the demands of impatient fans. I tend to agree that the signings made in the summer haven't made the impact on the pitch that I'd have liked but c'est la vie. The lack of activity across all the leagues today is a decent indication that clubs don't see much value in the market, and clubs are reluctant to sell.

I've noticed that the impatient foot stamping on Twitter is less than usual, because I think people have realised that today has been a bit of a dead duck so far. Much to SSN's disgust.

Would largely agree with this. I don't pretend to know what Morgan has invested in the club but I'm fairly sure that the club has a budget and they should stick to that. I don't understand the fans saying it's the owner when those same fans say 'I met a board member who said there's plenty of money to sign players. So which is it? Not enough money or enough money but not signing the players.

Usually clubs will have at least 3 targets per position that their scouting department come to a consensus on but we are not getting those targets. That suggests the targets are:

Good but not right for our budget

Or on the money but KJ does not want them

Or agents are hiking the price they have previously told the club they can get them for

Or the player doesn't want to move to sunny Wolverhampton

Or the targets aren't good enough for Jackett

Or.......

There are a multitude of reasons, one of which doesn't sound like it is the owner at this point. And as much as I don't think he's anywhere in the same class of owner as SJH I don't think you can blame him for the lack of success in this window, I would think that's his staff.

Personally I would have liked to see more incoming players - I am not sold on either Henry or Van La Parra at this level (if you combined the two you'd have a great player), I definitely want to see Edwards upgraded on because there are far too many games that he just doesn't affect which isn't good enough in the position he plays (and Jacobs clearly isn't going to get a chance), and if we could have signed a central midfielder that would enable us to play 4-4-2 from time to time, that would have been great too - at the moment I don't think it's really a viable option. We're fine at the back now we have got rid of the weakest link from the starting XI.

However I don't think it's a disaster at all. Keeping Sako and signing Afobe is an unspectacular but decent window. I was really getting at the inference that the club has done nothing at all - when in fact they have addressed what would have been 99.99999% of fans' biggest priority. Not a loan either or a quick stopgap, a player who should benefit us for a long time. That shouldn't be written off as "nothing".

Could we have done more, probably yes although it's a bit dangerous to automatically write it off as a lack of ambition when there could be any number of factors why we haven't. I really don't think you can overstate the impact of those two drains on the wage bill, just from January to the end of their deals they are costing us about £1.7m. It has to affect what we can afford to pay out.

Fair point Deutch, I just feel disappointed because the club have only achieved 1/3 of what they hoped to in this window and I am suret the other 2/3 are the other types of player you quite rightly point out are needed and that can only be because we will not match the fees/wages of other clubs who have not had a large parachute payment this season.

Tim Nash ‏@TimNash_star 1m1 minute ago
Suggestions that #Wolves are in the hunt for Villa winger Jack Grealish which I'm checking out after a loan to Forest fell through.

= Seen something on Twitter so checking it out so if its true I can claim the 100%* exclusive

* (c) Penk 2015

I'm not sure the parachute money is that much of an advantage right now - all of Norwich, Cardiff, Fulham, Reading and Wigan got double what we did this summer, Birmingham, Blackpool, Blackburn and Bolton got about the same as we did. It's over a third of the league on at least a par with us in that respect.

Bournemouth are chucking a lot of money at it through their very own friendly dodgy Russian. I see they've bid £5m for Demerai Gray today - pretty big stuff given that I'm told they would have failed FFP without the Lallana windfall this summer. Maybe they know it's this season or never for them as far as promotion goes (you would never say that about Wolves). Middlesbrough aren't spending that much, they benefit from having that tie up between Karanka and Mourinho. I would have liked us to sign Forshaw but who knows if the club were even interested. Derby have largely the same squad as last season. Ipswich and Brentford are up there on a budget of buttons (I expect the latter to drop out of contention soon enough).

He'd be a player I'd like us to be interested in if he is available, and it make sense but I don't think we are in for anyone (unless a good bid came in for Bakary)

KJ talked in pre-season of a constant drip feed of new player into this young squad, which I think is what we are doing. If someone becomes available and we rate them I'm sure we will try.

He'd be a player I'd like us to be interested in if he is available, and it make sense but I don't think we are in for anyone (unless a good bid came in for Bakary)

KJ talked in pre-season of a constant drip feed of new player into this young squad, which I think is what we are doing. If someone becomes available and we rate them I'm sure we will try.

I think that's the frustrating bit, the rumours have had the fans believe the players we have targeted become available and for whatever reason these have not come off (Wood, Delort). Strangely the one player they absolutely went after the board got straight away (Afobe) so it's not like it can't be done.

I think we've been here before with the Grealish rumour. I do agree that Wolves are missing a chance here if they want to go for promotion this season.. i'm still not convinced this is the case though, and however unpalatable that is for the fans it may be part of a bigger plan to go for it next season with more additions/ more squad experience.

James Blake ‏@JamesBlakeObv
Very good source has informed me that George Ray is completing a medical with Wolves. #WWFC

Quick search says Crewe centre back

That doesn't at all seem like a buy we'd need.

Name rings a bell for some reason ?

Just found out why, ignore me :)

Would seem remarkably pointless given that we have Batth, Stearman, EEL, Hause and Iorfa to play there and none of them are leaving, and none of them are getting on in years. Not that you would want to move Iorfa, but if you had to you could.

Back