• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Transfer Speculation Thread 2014/15

I'm sure we'll make him a very decent offer (helped by having Doyle and Johnson off the wage bill come the summer, about £70k a week freed up). However if he receives an offer from the Premier League and we're still stuck in this division then the strong likelihood is he will go. If that happens then that's just life, can't blame the player who has given us everything over three years and joined us with the expectation that we were going to be challenging to go straight up, and the club can't magically move up a division to appease his wish to play at that level.

And this is exactly why there is no such thing as "too early to get promoted"

The fact that Sako appeared to be happy to stick with us through Lg 1 last season means he will have earned his shot at the Premier if we don't get up this year.

Just hope that if that happens he doesn't just jump at the first opportunity, but goes to a side that gives him a decent chance of being there for more than 1 season

I hear hes just bought a new house in Perton

Not that it means anything....

Hmmmm - that might be tough. Villa would be a logical possibility that you would hope would have a chance of security, but they keep walking the tightrope every season now, and there is always a risk it finally goes wrong one season a la Coventry. His realistic options are going to be the teams that just about survive this year, and the three that go up into that division.

He isn't going to drop into a secure (ish) side like Everton, Newcastle, or Stoke.

I would imagine that going to the Albion might not appeal to him, but I could imagine Pulis being quite interested.

I hear hes just bought a new house in Perton

Not that it means anything....

He has moved about a bit. Started off renting in Pattingham, and then moved to somewhere else where Penk bumped into him over the summer.

I think he'd fit Newcastle well. Big French speaking contingent there and they only play Gouffran on the left at the moment who provides negligible product in terms of goals and assists. Also fits Ashley's wish for no large expenditure on fees and the possible of a quick turnaround and profit if he does well.

He'll have earned his shot at the league, however there's at least as much chance of him being an Adel Taarabt/Diomansy Kamara who looked a class above in the Championship but flopped on multiple occasions in the top flight, as there is of him being a success. We know what his off days look like, they'd be comically shit in the Premier League.

I think we have better idea about Sako given his relative success with Saint-Etienne.

Not really as French football is generally guff. Have a look how Emmanuel Riviere is getting on.

Could see Alardyce taking a chance on him.

Promoted teams will look at him and those who escape relegation will do so as well.

PSG, OM, Lille (although they are shit this year), Lyon, Monaco, St Etiene, and maybe Bordeaux are way above Championship. Not sure about most of the other teams in there.

I would fancy Wolves to at least give a good game to someone like Metz.

I don't think success in Ligue Un is any more an indication that a player will succeed in the Premier League than excelling in the Championship is. It's marginally better than the Dutch and Portuguese top flights, anyone below the top six would get annihilated in the PL. As such I think whatever he did with Saint Etienne is irrelevant and the comparison stands.

There would be big question marks over Sako, whenever he has had one of his spaz games here he hasn't paid for it with his place because he has always been our best attacking player by some distance, so he's pretty much untouchable come what may. He wouldn't get away with that in a Premier League squad. He tries defensively and has improved in that regard but you'd still say it's far from his strongest suit, if he's playing for a mid-table team who need their wide players to do extensive unglamorous work going back towards their own goal is he going to be able to do that? I'd say no, not to any particular effect.

The fact that Sako appeared to be happy to stick with us through Lg 1 last season means he will have earned his shot at the Premier if we don't get up this year.

Just hope that if that happens he doesn't just jump at the first opportunity, but goes to a side that gives him a decent chance of being there for more than 1 season

The fact that Sako earns probably more a week then any other club can give him is another incentive to stick about.

Didn't Sako make the Ligue 1 team of the year once? Might be completely making that up.

I have no idea. Could be along the same lines as "Zubar had man of the match Champions League displays for Marseille as a defensive midfielder". :icon_lol:

Anyway, Salomon Kalou averaged just under a goal every other game in Ligue Un which tells you how good it is.

Oi - that is Ronald "Carlos Alberto" Zubar.

Or at least it was for that one fleeting minute at Upton Park....

I have no idea. Could be along the same lines as "Zubar had man of the match Champions League displays for Marseille as a defensive midfielder". :icon_lol:

Anyway, Salomon Kalou averaged just under a goal every other game in Ligue Un which tells you how good it is.

Got the better of Steven Gerrard apparently. :icon_lol:

hope he stays just concerned a good acon will bring in bids. Agreed that we can always turn them down I just dont want his head turned too quick! Thats why this cup at this time is a real pain in the arse

Back