• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Transfer Speculation Thread 2014/15

Edwards isn't the best technically/skillful but he's far from the worst in this league and personally I think he does link the midfield and forwards, his attributes far outway his drawbacks imo. Quite simply over the last season and a half we look better with him in the team than without, especially with the style we play and other players that we have, he gives the team a very good balance, thats not to say we shouldn't be looking for some-one better but that goes for the whole first team squad, but for now and the near future I'd say he is one of our most important players.......providing of course he maintains his form and fitness.

I'd like to see us add a pacy winger to the squad.
Neither Henry nor Jacobs has the pace to seriously trouble a defence in this league, meaning teams are more likely to double up on Sako/VLP as they know the other wing isn't going to get away from them in a hurry.
This would also improve the squad when Sako is back, because when him/VLP are tiring, a burst of pace from the bench would help our game.

They should be switching about and not really being 'wide' players but the danger is that we end up with a striker playing as a winger, especially as we concentrate a lot of our play down the wings.

That's why we play wing-backs, so when we are attacking, they are the width you need up front.

The Edwards thing for me comes down to what he's there to do.

Is he a second striker, expected to score 15 and create 15 a season? If so, he's not the answer.
Is he a 'number 10' whose role is to link play, create space and chances and score 10 a season? If so, he might score 10 but doesn't do the rest.
If we just want someone who scores 10 a season and closes down well, then he probably is the answer, but that's not what I would be looking for, personally.

Just one comment on Dave Edwards: yes, he has his limitations: yes, he misses chances where it's easier to score. But if we put him up for sale we'd be knocked over in the rush. At least half the teams in the Championship would be in for him - managers love a player like Edwards

Wolves and Wigan are apparently leading the chase to sign Matt Phillps from QPR....(The Sun)

Just one comment on Dave Edwards: yes, he has his limitations: yes, he misses chances where it's easier to score. But if we put him up for sale we'd be knocked over in the rush. At least half the teams in the Championship would be in for him - managers love a player like Edwards

I doubt it - they weren't when he was coming out of contract at the end of last season.

Can't see us changing from our 4-2-3-1 anytime soon, its the best formation for the players we have and works well against any team...its also easy to switch to 4-3-3 and back depending on whether we are in or out of possession. I used to think we needed a plan B but thinking now it may be better to mainly stick to this but have enough on the bench to change like for like if a particular player isn't cutting it.

This for me too, Kenny likes this formation and it works well for our squad

Aston Villa starlet Jack Grealish is wanted on loan by Brentford, Wolves & Nottingham Forest.

According to Twitter, Wolves, Wigan and Derby are after Phillips - with QPR wanting to do a swap for McManaman

Phillips is a good player but do we need another right winger? Grealish on the other hand looks a cracking player and the type that can fit in on the left or behind the striker.

Someone to challenge Henry I guess, although that may depend on how close our youth players are.

I'd love to see Phillips and/or Grealish down here.

Someone to challenge Henry I guess, although that may depend on how close our youth players are.

You mean like VlP does? We have two very good right wingers at this level, one injured and on his way back and one youth team player on the verge of the squad apparently. I think 4 is enough.

For more than two months, van la Parra has been used either on the left or centrally. Perhaps Jackett would rather he was challenging/used here? Or perhaps there's another formation change in store? As for Boukhari, anything he does should probably be seen as a bonus. What youth player do you have in mind?

Always been a fan of Matty Phillips. QPR appears to be a graveyard for your career if you go there (Charlie Austin aside), so I wouldn't mind him coming here to freshen us/his own career up. Phillips and Henry as wide right options at Championship level would be very, very good.

Grealish could do with a loan move but from a purely selfish point of view, I'd like us to try and bring people in permanently.

Hasn't Phillips been pretty anonymous since he had a long injury lay off last season? Are people getting excited about signing the player that was at Blackpool a few years rather than the one who's done nothing in a long time?

I have no idea how good Phillips is any more but would definitely take Grealish

Not sure about Grealish. There would be zero chance of us signing him permanently - hasn't he just signed a new four year deal with Villa? Made a few appearances this season too I think.

For more than two months, van la Parra has been used either on the left or centrally. Perhaps Jackett would rather he was challenging/used here? Or perhaps there's another formation change in store? As for Boukhari, anything he does should probably be seen as a bonus. What youth player do you have in mind?

Have you been watching the right team? Sako is the big fella who plays on the left and he's been missing for a whole 2 league games. VlP played centrally due to Dicko being broken and Clarke shite. VLP played wide right on Saturday and was pretty effective at it too.

Back