• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Transfer Speculation Thread 2014/15

Blackpool weren't even really aiming to go up any time soon, it was a survival mission as much as anything i think that season so bit harsh to say it was 'too soon'.

As Kenny says, if it weren't for a wankstain of an owner they'd have still done very well out of the unexpected promotion, with the TV money and the extra cash for the sales of Adam et al then they'd have been able to change the club completely from what it had been 12 months previous, stadium and ground all sorted out for years to come, new players in to replace the over achievers from last year and then long term give themselves a chance of getting back up to the Premier League.

Blackpool went down on the last day of the season too after losing away at Old Trafford, finishing a point behind ourselves. As stated, and from what I read, that Karl Oyston bloke choose to keep the prem money and has done little to invest since coming back to the championship. The Prem season didn't set them back as such other than raising the expectations of the fans.

More to do with their owner fleecing the club though. A normal owner and they are not in the position they are in now or indeed the one they were in 5 minutes before the season kicked off

I agree to a certain extent, but if Blackpool hadn't gone up then Oysten may not have stayed at the club and things may have been different. There are many examples of clubs that went up, cocked it up for whatever reason and got relegated, and it is a matter of opinion whether they went up before they were ready to survive the experience as a club.

There is a world of difference between going up and having too much work to do to improve the squad sufficiently to stay up - which happens quite a lot - and that happening, relegation coming about and it ending up with the club being somehow worse off than they were in the first place, which next to never happens. Even Blackpool managed to make the playoff final after they got relegated, the brazen asset stripping and winding down of the club's playing staff wasn't an immediate thing. We're dealing with the hypothetical scenario of promotion being a bad thing for Wolves this year, which doesn't make any sense at all to me.

There is a world of difference between going up and having too much work to do to improve the squad sufficiently to stay up - which happens quite a lot - and that happening, relegation coming about and it ending up with the club being somehow worse off than they were in the first place, which next to never happens. Even Blackpool managed to make the playoff final after they got relegated, the brazen asset stripping and winding down of the club's playing staff wasn't an immediate thing. We're dealing with the hypothetical scenario of promotion being a bad thing for Wolves this year, which doesn't make any sense at all to me.

Oh, I see. IMO the sooner we go up the better for our club, definitely.

Sorry, I took the remark out of context, and as we're playing them this week thought I'd suggest their name as they are self-destructing fast.

If we go up then we are as prepared for going up as anyone else in the division. If you choose not to spend, or buy shit then you may struggle. But that will happen whenever you go up. However the league is so bad you may stay up anyway. As shown in our first season promoted where we made one signing who actually made a contribution And we were missing one of our best players from the year before so you could argue we stayed about the same.

It also depends on how good your manager is. QPR spend shitloads every year but are doing worse than Burnley, who have an excellent manager and has spent nothing. Is Kenny goo enough to keep us up? If we got promoted he'd certainly get the chance to prove it, and I'm sure the board would back him to sign who he felt necessary.

I am not buying the idea that all of our young players bar Hause and Iorfa are now experienced players.

A season in League one and a few games in the chumps, isn't anything like facing the likes of Aguero, Costa, and Sanchez, but i suppose they have to do it sometime.

My only concern is that if we get an absolute towelling, it could undo a lot of the patient rebuilding we are currently going through. How would that young defence cope with a mauling every week, let alone what would the fans reaction be, i guess not very pleasant.

Don't get me wrong i want Wolves in the prem, but I would like to see no more repeats of the four game catastrophe from recent weeks before i can feel comfortable with the idea of promotion at any price.

I am not buying the idea that all of our young players bar Hause and Iorfa are now experienced players.

A season in League one and a few games in the chumps, isn't anything like facing the likes of Aguero, Costa, and Sanchez, but i suppose they have to do it sometime.

My only concern is that if we get an absolute towelling, it could undo a lot of the patient rebuilding we are currently going through. How would that young defence cope with a mauling every week, let alone what would the fans reaction be, i guess not very pleasant.

Don't get me wrong i want Wolves in the prem, but I would like to see no more repeats of the four game catastrophe from recent weeks before i can feel comfortable with the idea of promotion at any price.

Totally agree.

We wouldn't be facing Aguero, Costa and Sanchez every week.... The Championship has better forwards than a lot of the rubbish populating the lower half of the Premier League so if we get promoted we will just have to perform better then the likes of Villa, Hull, Burnley, QPR etc...

Well if we make the top six, and by extension win the playoffs, it would follow that our form from mid-December to the end of the season will have been pretty good. So, six solid months without getting battered, picking up plenty of points along the way. Is that long enough?

What possible purpose could wanting to spend another year down here (almost certainly without Sako, with no transfer fee to compensate for his departure) serve?

Unless we go down the Dave Jones route again we are not going to get promoted with a team of players who are used to playing in the Premier League week in week out - when we get there we can buy players of that type.

For now, whatever season we go up we have to bridge the gap between where we are and where we want to be. There are plenty of examples of teams that have done it and teams that haven't. We won't know if we can do it until we have the opportunity to do it so I'm very much in the let's get up as soon as we can, this season would be preferable.

I'm not still buying that these poor little lambs will get all shell shocked from a few Premier League batterings, there really aren't that many naive young lads out there to get that sort of fright if you took the following as the first choice going forwards with everyone fit.

Ikeme

Golbourne
Stearman
Batth
Iorfa

McDonald
Price

Sako
Edwards
Van la Parra

Dicko

Now i'm not going to go too specific with appearances or even how many seasons they've been in the first team but only Price and Iorfa on there are particularly fresh faced in my eyes. Dicko is probably your next one down that list and look how important he is to this current side! Stearman and Edwards already have 3 years experience in the Premier League, McDonald got a good 6 months before he put himself out of favour at Burnley, Sako and VLP have played top flight abroad, not sure if Dicko or Ikeme ever got the odd PL appearance?

That's before you even look at any new signings, if Price ends up going wobbly under the pressure you've got Evans as a straight swap or a more experienced Rowe if you prefer that angle. You could even go down the route Wolves went with Ricketts, couple old heads on a free transfer, they might only be good for 12 months but they'll give you that buffer in case the youngsters struggle.

What possible purpose could wanting to spend another year down here serve?

That's the perfect world scenario. Team has time to grow and gain experience etc and makes the step up with ease.

Football doesn't live in a perfect world though and you have to grab whatever you can as you have no idea how long it will be until it goes to shit again.

I'm not still buying that these poor little lambs will get all shell shocked from a few Premier League batterings, there really aren't that many naive young lads out there to get that sort of fright if you took the following as the first choice going forwards with everyone fit.

Ikeme

Golbourne
Stearman
Batth
Iorfa

McDonald
Price

Sako
Edwards
Van la Parra

Dicko

Now i'm not going to go too specific with appearances or even how many seasons they've been in the first team but only Price and Iorfa on there are particularly fresh faced in my eyes. Dicko is probably your next one down that list and look how important he is to this current side! Stearman and Edwards already have 3 years experience in the Premier League, McDonald got a good 6 months before he put himself out of favour at Burnley, Sako and VLP have played top flight abroad, not sure if Dicko or Ikeme ever got the odd PL appearance?

That's before you even look at any new signings, if Price ends up going wobbly under the pressure you've got Evans as a straight swap or a more experienced Rowe if you prefer that angle. You could even go down the route Wolves went with Ricketts, couple old heads on a free transfer, they might only be good for 12 months but they'll give you that buffer in case the youngsters struggle.

If we still had your experience players in the starting 11 in the PL, we'd be dead certs for relegation.

If we still had your experience players in the starting 11 in the PL, we'd be dead certs for relegation.

Don't see how that lot are any worse than what Burnley are throwing out every week?

Exactly, they have a system that they believe in and you can imagine the confidence Dyche gives his players.

We areen't as good as their team that went up last season, but we have some talented young players with others around them that have something to prove (McDonald, Golbourne, Stearman, Ikeme) and we would obviously spend a fair bit. Last time around Mick bought a lot of dross, particularly in the first season, we would have to spend a lot more wisely.

Back