• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Transfer Speculation Thread 2014/15

I think with a team so young, 12 months would make a big difference.

There aren't that many who are still that green anymore, only Hause and Iorfa made debuts this season i think? Price and Evans will both have two full seasons of first team football under their belts come August, don't think anyone else even comes close to lacking experience?

Then you've got the potential to add 2-3 new faces in the summer too, plenty of scope there for adding extra experience if you feel it's neccessary, there shouldn't be any issue, Southampton don't seem to have any issue dropping their youngsters into Premier League action as and when they're required.

There aren't that many who are still that green anymore, only Hause and Iorfa made debuts this season i think? Price and Evans will both have two full seasons of first team football under their belts come August, don't think anyone else even comes close to lacking experience?

Then you've got the potential to add 2-3 new faces in the summer too, plenty of scope there for adding extra experience if you feel it's neccessary, there shouldn't be any issue, Southampton don't seem to have any issue dropping their youngsters into Premier League action as and when they're required.

Our average age against Watford was 23.7. That is a pretty young side.

Our average age against Watford was 23.7. That is a pretty young side.

It is but they are gaining more and more experience with each match they play. If you are good enough, you are old enough.
I hope we do make a serious push for promotion and I still don't think automatic promotion is out of reach

A couple of quality additions plus Dicko staying fit and/or Afobe coming good and top 2 is possible although unlikely. Playoffs are very much achievable.

Yes...I meant to write "serious push for the play-offs" then add that automatic promotion may still be in reach

The division isn't going to be as weak next year. None of Cardiff, Norwich or Fulham are especially likely to get promotion this year; whoever comes down next season is likely to put together a much stronger challenge.

Can anyone point me to any examples of a team who "went up too early" and were irrevocably ruined as a result?

Derby under Davies maybe?

I agree with you btw. The Premier League is full of shit, shit and more shit though. It'd be bittersweet for me if we did go up.

Brighton have had a £2M bid rejected for Dele Alli. If he's up for grabs we should definitely be going in for him, suspect he'll go for much much more than Brighton's bid though.

Dele Alli is going to cost at least £4m you would think. At least. And he will go somewhere considerably better than Brighton when he goes.

Agreed, pretty pathetic bid from Brighton.

Not tremendously ambitious, but if offered I would take up via the playoffs and then relegated, will keep us in the prem money richly relegated crowd, like someone mentioned we are seeing an arms race to reach the Prem at the minute, QPR and Leicester both have clout at this level, Burnley would be backed by parachute money, anyone else that comes down would be a fairly established prem side. Even with the trimming that comes with relegation that would add to an already tough league.

My worry with being promoted and then relegated would be the established Prem sides then picking off our best players. We'd stay below their radar a bit more in the Championship I feel.

Hell of a lot easier to replace them though when you've got £16m a year in parachute payments for the first couple seasons after relegation and you can stick an extra premium on their fee too after the Premier League campaign, be a far weaker negotiating position if someone came in to try and poach one of the players from a Championship club without the parachute bunce.

You have to get out of this league as soon as you can for me and if we can do it this season we have to try.

My worry with being promoted and then relegated would be the established Prem sides then picking off our best players. We'd stay below their radar a bit more in the Championship I feel.

I am with Mark on this, there is no building a side in the championship, it is effectively a feeding ground, prem clubs will always come in for those better players or those they want to take a risk on, Think of the attention Ebanks-Blake used to seemingly get when scoring freely for us, any of the sides promoted this year might come in for any of our guys who have impressed, the way we did last year (Clarke, Dicko, Rowe)

Yep we have to get out of this shit show on the correct side of the table and take a roll of the dice in the premier league. You never know when your team is gonna strike gold and finally figure out the survival thing like a Southampton or West Ham.

Sent from my Langers with Langertalk

Linked to Gary Mackay-Steven again in The Times this morning.

James Shield ‏@JamesShield1 3m3 minutes ago
Gary Mackay-Steven signs a pre-contract agreement with Celtic

(didn't think the pre-contract thing was allowed for teams in the same country or have the rules changed and I have missed it)

The division isn't going to be as weak next year. None of Cardiff, Norwich or Fulham are especially likely to get promotion this year; whoever comes down next season is likely to put together a much stronger challenge.

Can anyone point me to any examples of a team who "went up too early" and were irrevocably ruined as a result?

Blackpool

Blackpool

More to do with their owner fleecing the club though. A normal owner and they are not in the position they are in now or indeed the one they were in 5 minutes before the season kicked off

James Shield ‏@JamesShield1 3m3 minutes ago
Gary Mackay-Steven signs a pre-contract agreement with Celtic

(didn't think the pre-contract thing was allowed for teams in the same country or have the rules changed and I have missed it)

It's just our FA having their own internal rules for reasons best known to themselves. Other countries allow it with no problem at all.

Back