• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Transfer Speculation Thread 2014/15

What's dicko's goals per have ratio for wolves? I'd imagine it's as good, or better, than most post-bully strikers.

Talking of trying to find an upgrade on a very impressive 22 year is massively premature.

We don't need to upgrade on Dicko. He's class and any team in this league would be lucky to have him. If we want a similar but better player we're going to have to spend £5M+ or pull out an absolute gem from abroad or a reserve squad.

We need better options off the bench, either to go 4-4-2 or to come on for Nouha and offer something completely different if Plan A isn't working.

We don't need to upgrade on Dicko. He's class and any team in this league would be lucky to have him. If we want a similar but better player we're going to have to spend £5M+ or pull out an absolute gem from abroad or a reserve squad.

We need better options off the bench, either to go 4-4-2 or to come on for Nouha and offer something completely different if Plan A isn't working.

Many of us thought Kieran Agard would be the perfect summer signing because he would slot into the lone striker role should Dicko get injured, plus offer a nice wide right option when Dicko is firing.

Agree entirely with this, I wouldn't swap Dicko for any other strike in this division.

I think that says more about Wolves scouting/target selection than it does about Dicko's ability relative to his peers.

Absolutely, I think you and Alan are saying the same thing. Wolves scouting and player acquisition has been piss poor this season. Sometimes scouts and their management aren't up to the job in a higher division.

Massive window coming up

We need

1. Pacey striker
2. Snotter in midfield
3. Winger to replace Sako

We need FIRST teamers not Squad fillers

I'm looking forward to the meltdown on Feb 1st when we sign a right back from Chorley for the Development squad after being linked to all known footballers within 3000 miles of Molineux.

it would be good to see how Graham & Dicko played as a front 2 - not happened yet i think. It would mean strengthening the midfield with a tough tackling 'signing/loan'. the sort of player we've missed since Alex Rae.

If you can properly control possession you don't need a "snotter" anyway.

I wouldn't sign Graham. We need someone that can come into the team if Dicko is out and let us play the same system with similar results. He's not that man.

Everyone seems to be concentrating on the fact that we don't have anyone else like Dicko and we need another striker like him, i would rather we added players who would enable us to have a plan b when Dicko is not playing and we have someone like Graham or whoever else is playing upfront.

Everyone seems to be concentrating on the fact that we don't have anyone else like Dicko and we need another striker like him, i would rather we added players who would enable us to have a plan b when Dicko is not playing and we have someone like Graham or whoever else is playing upfront.
The whole way we play is set up for that powerful fast player though. We play 10 yds higher up the pitch when Dicko plays, it's his pace and strength that enables us to do that. I don't see any other formation bringing out the best in players like McDonald, Price and (if not upgraded) Edwards.

If we were to go to 442 and sign someone like Wood then Edgmond's "snotter" would not be a stupid idea. Although as I have said previously I'd rather improve the formation we already play.

The whole way we play is set up for that powerful fast player though. We play 10 yds higher up the pitch when Dicko plays, it's his pace and strength that enables us to do that. I don't see any other formation bringing out the best in players like McDonald, Price and (if not upgraded) Edwards.

If we were to go to 442 and sign someone like Wood then Edgmond's "snotter" would not be a stupid idea. Although as I have said previously I'd rather improve the formation we already play.

That's exactly my point though, we have one way of playing and we need to have more than one imo. I like our formation but it's the players in it that make it work or not work at the end of the day so we need to upgrade those other positions that would enable us to play with a different striker upfront.

We would need more than that snotter to play 4-4-2, we would need a complete new midfield to play it how it needs to be played and i don't see that happening.

I agree that we need to improve this formation but that needs to be done by adding a plan b and players who are capable of letting us play this formation a different way.

Personally don't think we need another pacy striker, we won't get better than Dicko and we have VLP who can fill that role if necessary, I would keep Graham and formulate a "plan B" using him. I too think we need a ball winning "snotter" in the squad

What's dicko's goals per have ratio for wolves? I'd imagine it's as good, or better, than most post-bully strikers.

Talking of trying to find an upgrade on a very impressive 22 year is massively premature.

19 goals in 31 starts for Wolves (ratio of 0.61)

compares with

Dean Sturridge 32 in 51 starts (ratio of 0.63)
Sylvan Ebanks-Blake 61 in 123 starts (ratio of 0.50)

Personally don't think we need another pacy striker, we won't get better than Dicko and we have VLP who can fill that role if necessary, I would keep Graham and formulate a "plan B" using him. I too think we need a ball winning "snotter" in the squad

The problem is they don't really exist any more. Look in the Premier League, there's Lee Cattermole, Karl Henry (and we know how much our fans loved him by the end) and pretty much no-one else. They're an anachronism these days as most teams value possession and having someone who just breaks up play and nothing else isn't viable. Plus they get booked and sent off too easily these days, you'd be wanting them to make the kind of tackles (better executed) that McDonald ended up walking for on Sunday.

Game has moved on I'm afraid.

Yeah I suppose what I'm looking for is a Cattermole/Henry super i.e. a good tackler, hard working but with some football skills.......no doubt there's loads of them about

Back