• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Transfer Speculation Thread 2014/15

19 goals in 31 starts for Wolves (ratio of 0.61)

compares with

Dean Sturridge 32 in 51 starts (ratio of 0.63)
Sylvan Ebanks-Blake 61 in 123 starts (ratio of 0.50)

Thats better than I thought....I withdraw my earlier comment about him needing to up his finishing...although that would be nice

Personally don't think we need another pacy striker, we won't get better than Dicko and we have VLP who can fill that role if necessary, I would keep Graham and formulate a "plan B" using him. I too think we need a ball winning "snotter" in the squad

And when Dicko is injured again......

We need a pacey striker MORE than anything

And when Dicko is injured again......

We need a pacey striker MORE than anything

The problem is that anyone we get as backup will inheretently not be as good as Dicko, our best shot is a young unproven striker, but we already have macalinden.

He is only 16 months younger than Dicko, he will not develop into the same type of player. With Dicko it is not just the pace, the strength is equally as important. That's why RVLP is not an acceptable replacement, he is a stop gap in the event of an emergency

I'm a big fan of Dicko but let's not pretend he is the very best striker we can hope to attain. There are better versions of him around. Like any signing (bar kids that we sign with a view to developing them long term) whoever we bring in up front should be better than the current incumbent, he then becomes the squad player and the existing squad player(s) can naff off. That means you Leon.

Signing inferior versions of players you already own to bulk out the squad was one of Mick's fatal flaws once we got to the PL.

Who would you recommend, Dan? Purely out of curiosity.

I'm a big fan of Dicko but let's not pretend he is the very best striker we can hope to attain. There are better versions of him around. Like any signing (bar kids that we sign with a view to developing them long term) whoever we bring in up front should be better than the current incumbent, he then becomes the squad player and the existing squad player(s) can naff off. That means you Leon.

Signing inferior versions of players you already own to bulk out the squad was one of Mick's fatal flaws once we got to the PL.

Agreed to the letter, although that'll cost more than we'll be willing to pay no doubt.

Who would you recommend, Dan? Purely out of curiosity.

I don't know what kind of budgets we're working to but I'd be interested in any of Ricardo Vaz Te, Chuba Akpom, Dwight Gayle, Jerome Sinclair, Benik Afobe, Nakhi Wells or Tom Bradshaw. Clearly some would be loans, some would be permanent.

I don't know what kind of budgets we're working to but I'd be interested in any of Ricardo Vaz Te, Chuba Akpom, Dwight Gayle, Jerome Sinclair, Benik Afobe, Nakhi Wells or Tom Bradshaw. Clearly some would be loans, some would be permanent.

You think those all would be upgrades on Dicko?

You think those all would be upgrades on Dicko?

Vaz Te, Gayle and Wells would be for sure I think. The loans of the kids I mentioned....well it matters less because you aren't making a long term investment there, they just need to improve the squad and contribute meaningfully for the rest of the season (and I think they all would, more than Leon will and more than McAlinden is likely to by the looks of it). Bradshaw is more of a speculative punt but I really rate him.

He (Wells) has continued doing well of late, then? I haven't heard much out of him since the hooplah with Bradford's cup run.

As for Dan, I'm mostly surprised you'd include Vaz Te. Gayle I think I agree. Wells a toss up.

Agree with this

As for Dan, I'm mostly surprised you'd include Vaz Te. Gayle I think I agree. Wells a toss up.

20 goals in 37 games last time he played at this level. Offers a good alternative to play wide right as well. Got the requisite pace that we require and nowhere near West Ham's team.

Vas Te could fill Sako's role too. Quality forward if we could get him.

I agree with TT too, a quality #10 is a must this window along with a versatile striker like the one's mentioned.

Back