• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Transfer Speculation Thread 2014/15

I think it is disappointing that we haven't moved for an experienced centre half today, but perhaps there wasn't a viable option.

I suppose at some point you have to trust Hause and give him a go. We bought him to play after all, not just sit in the reserves and out on loan for years. Not to lamp too much pressure on him but he is 19 and at Championship level you should be looking to break through pretty soon at that age if you haven't already. Even our moderately talented graduates like Andrews, Proudlock and Naylor were playing regularly in this division by then. In the Premier League then you wouldn't chuck someone in at that stage unless they were obscenely talented or you had absolutely no other choice, but as an outfield player in the Championship if you haven't made it by say, 21, you probably aren't going to make it at that club. We're also not helped by having Johnson eat up loads of budget, what we could do with a spare £25k a week.

Surprised that according to the Brum Mail, Jacobs hasn't gone to Blues on loan because we couldn't agree terms, inference therefore being that if the terms were right he would have gone. Apart from an hour or so at Ipswich (which admittedly I didn't see), he has not played in what most would agree is his best position this year. I'm struggling to understand what has gone on.

Surprised that according to the Brum Mail, Jacobs hasn't gone to Blues on loan because we couldn't agree terms, inference therefore being that if the terms were right he would have gone. Apart from an hour or so at Ipswich (which admittedly I didn't see), he has not played in what most would agree is his best position this year. I'm struggling to understand what has gone on.

He just isn't that good perhaps?

Maybe, but I'd like to be able to form that opinion and in the last month we've started both Saville and Clarke there, so it's not like we've been overrun with successful alternatives

He just isn't that good perhaps?

You would think he deserves at least one start there though. We have used the very, very limited Dave Edwards there most of the time and if Ken thinks he suits this team better at this level then fine. Personally I disagree but I can at least understand that. But to put the likes of Sagbo and Clarke there and ignore Jacobs? After he looked so good there last season? That doesn't make any sense.

Wouldn't be upset if Hause is given his chance. As Deutsch said we bought him to play not sit in the U21s or on loan for years.

Came with a good rep from Wycombe & seems to have done well at Gillingham. Has little senior game time & would prefer to have someone with much more experience next to him. Suppose Stearman qualifies for that even if he is not as good as either he or we would wish.

I really hope that if (when) Sako leaves that we bring back Zele to play there- in the times that I've seen him play he's looked absolutely unplayable.

I suppose at some point you have to trust Hause and give him a go. We bought him to play after all, not just sit in the reserves and out on loan for years. Not to lamp too much pressure on him but he is 19 and at Championship level you should be looking to break through pretty soon at that age if you haven't already. Even our moderately talented graduates like Andrews, Proudlock and Naylor were playing regularly in this division by then. In the Premier League then you wouldn't chuck someone in at that stage unless they were obscenely talented or you had absolutely no other choice, but as an outfield player in the Championship if you haven't made it by say, 21, you probably aren't going to make it at that club. We're also not helped by having Johnson eat up loads of budget, what we could do with a spare £25k a week.
A fair shout, I just think we are lacking an old fashioned snotter there, kick it head it, organise. Not a long term option, but someone that will sort things out for now, a Paul Butler type a suppose. In the Danny Batth mould which unfortunately isn't Danny Batth at the moment.

Hause impressed me the one game I've seen him for Gillingham,solid build and quick on the turn.We have to start giving all those talents some playing time over the span of a season no?

Yes, but throwing him in when we are conceding goals for fun alongside Batth, who has been poor in 4/6 of the games I've seen in the flesh this season (if that's what we do) is asking a lot of him.

A fair shout, I just think we are lacking an old fashioned snotter there, kick it head it, organise. Not a long term option, but someone that will sort things out for now, a Paul Butler type a suppose. In the Danny Batth mould which unfortunately isn't Danny Batth at the moment.

I think Gareth McAuley would have fit that kind of bill and he isn't getting a game at the moment, but I really don't see Albion ever loaning any players to us (or vice versa).

As proslo said on the Brentford thread, it'd be nice if we could use Ricketts there - that should certainly tick the 'organisation' box - but our incumbent right back is so dismal and the fitness of our one actual left back is unclear, so we almost certainly need to use him elsewhere. Unless of course Iorfa is ready to step in. I actually don't see how he could be any worse.

The bloke we let go today to Blackpool would be a better defensive full back than Doherty. He's a 21st century full back, offers something going forward but cannot defend, Glen Johnson is the poster boy for that particular club. Doherty looks like a centre half playing right back.

Word from Northampton that Toney did not fail a medical, clubs could not agree on something else.

I'm confused. Surely if he had a medical a fee was agreed? Maybe the goalposts moved or something, doesn't sound like it was the player turning us down or anything.

You have a valuable asset you want to sell in January you are hardly going to admit to the medical issue, especially if it is only a minor problem that can be cleared up before the window opens. Confirmed word of it would devalue the asset.

Isue around a loan back agreement perhaps? Northampton wanted him for the rest of the season, we wanted him here in January?

Back