• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Transfer Speculation Thread 2014/15

I hate - with a passion - the English fetishisation of size and strength over skill and technique, but from what I've seen I really don't think Jacobs is physically strong enough, or fast enough, or has enough stamina, to play at this level in a number 10 role. So he's been shunted out onto the wing as backup for Sako, and no surprises that he's been poor there as he's not a winger.

I'll stick my neck out here. If Jacobs had been given the chances Edwards had against Nottm Forest, he would have gone on and made the keeper work at least.

It would be strange to just let Jacobs go when he plays (and was fantastic in last season) a position we are struggling in.

It would be strange to just let Jacobs go when he plays (and was fantastic in last season) a position we are struggling in.

Apparently, that is the position we've brought Toney into play, so he'll be even further down the pecking order.

Kenny seems to love the idea of having a proper forward in that number 10 role though, i can see some benefit that you can then get an extra body into the box when it matters like if you were playing 442 but you still need them to have the ability to do the dropping off and linking playing for majority of the time. Perhaps that's part of the reasoning for picking Edwards over Jacobs, he gets into the box more often and gives you that extra body in there when it's needed, could Toney be the best of both worlds?

I think that's certainly why Edwards gets the nod. Jacobs would be my preferred option, he scored the same amount of goals as Edwards last season and I'm willing to bet he got more assists. The advantage of 4-2-3-1 should be that there are more lines to play through than a 4-4-2 but Edwards doesn't let that happen in my opinion. He doesn't link with McDonald and Evans as perhaps he shoud do which has invited more pressure on those two.

I see us going with Graham and Dicko up front.

could Toney be the best of both worlds?

I think Ken wants a number 10 who can drop deep and use his strength to hold off defenders and lay the ball off to midfield runners. Chris Martin does this well for Derby. From what I've heard of Toney he's strong and scores goals with his head but is comfortable using both feet and has good technical ability.

I think Graham has a similar style to Martin, and he has a good record at this level.

I'm just worried we are drifting away from 'our' style of play. I know we need to be adaptable but we also need to be brave and stick by our principles. We played some great football at the start of this season but we lost a bit of confidence and some of the players are showing to maybe not be up to scratch. I'm not convinced it's not our way of playing that is the problem more that either some players don't suit it or just aren't good enough.

I think that's certainly why Edwards gets the nod. Jacobs would be my preferred option, he scored the same amount of goals as Edwards last season and I'm willing to bet he got more assists. The advantage of 4-2-3-1 should be that there are more lines to play through than a 4-4-2 but Edwards doesn't let that happen in my opinion. He doesn't link with McDonald and Evans as perhaps he shoud do which has invited more pressure on those two.

I see us going with Graham and Dicko up front.

Indeed, I would agree with all of that. I think this is Kenny officially giving up on 4-2-3-1 and going to his Millwall 4-4-2 (Big man/ little man combination). I can only see that ending one way for him if we start lumping balls up to Graham and not playing through the lines. He has used Jacobs criminally this season and why KJ feels the need to constantly get the balls out to the wings and not through the middle which was so effective last year is bewildering.

It is no coincidence that the players that played so well last season suited a 4-2-3-1 with a dynamic player at 10 who linked with McDonald, Evans/ Price and Dicko now fail when we have a 'runner' in the role behind the striker.

I think this is Kenny officially giving up on 4-2-3-1 and going to his Millwall 4-4-2 (Big man/ little man combination). I can only see that ending one way for him if we start lumping balls up to Graham and not playing through the lines.

Are you implying that if we revert to the boring 442 and "lumping" that KJ will get the sack? If so, I disagree. The primary objective right now is to tighten up the back and get back to complete footballing basics, and if doing what he's done for a good chunk of his managing career manages to do this then brilliant, after this we can start going back to playing our football. But first of all we need to steady the ship. However, saying this, if he does revert to this (which I'm ok with for the time being) but doesn't go back to playing nice football he can go.

Only thing worse than no transfer news is a potential signing not happening regardless of who it is. Engage panic circuits people.

He's been at Wolves for a medical so he's either failed it or somebody else has made a bid for him.

Apparently, the Toney deal is off.

Twitter/Facebook brain engaged......
"Ivan Toney? Who the fuck is Ivan Toney?? Why are we wasting money on a nobody? We should be buying someone I've heard of like that brilliant footballer, Bent! Morgan & Moxley doing it on the cheap again ay it!"

"What do you mean, the deal is off? But that Toney is the missing piece of the jigsaw....We're gonna get relegated now! Morgan & Moxley not wanting to pay the wages, doing it on the cheap!"
etc, etc, etc....

Failed a medical I guess? Doubt it'd be another contract dispute like the Wood one.

According to the Northampton fans on FF their chairman, threw out invitations for a bidding war when Jacobs when to Derby and a few other players in his tenure.

Back