• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

There goes Julen!

Julen definitely giving off big Conte-type vibes this last week or two. I think he’s realised it will be very hard to achieve top 7/8 finishes unless he has a lot of cash.

I want him to stay but if we don’t have the money, would we be better off with a coach who is much better at developing young talent, rather than an unhappy manager who expects to be managing in Europe?

Julen definitely giving off big Conte-type vibes this last week or two. I think he’s realised it will be very hard to achieve top 7/8 finishes unless he has a lot of cash.

I want him to stay but if we don’t have the money, would we be better off with a coach who is much better at developing young talent, rather than an unhappy manager who expects to be managing in Europe?
Only if the new man’s name starts with ‘Al’ and rhymes with ‘onso’ and he’s currently managing Leverkusen.

Do you happen to have a definitive answer to the FFP question? I.e., is it a factor that would restrain our spending and, if so, how big a one?

Only if the new man’s name starts with ‘Al’ and rhymes with ‘onso’ and he’s currently managing Leverkusen.
That first half of the sentence really had me worried

The Johnny Phillips piece if you want to take it as factually sourced says it's strategy not FFP. Obviously we couldn't just spend another £150m, but I don't think anyone including Lopetegui expected that. We don't have to make a £50m profit this Summer, we'd be choosing to.

Just accept you are getting a man who's name starts with "Ed" and rhymes with "wards" and he's currently managing in Bedfordshire

Just accept you are getting a man who's name starts with "Ed" and rhymes with "wards" and he's currently managing in Bedfordshire
If Lopetegui leaves I can't see us paying compensation for anybody given it would be budget related, so unless he has a get out in his contract I doubt it would happen

If Lopetegui leaves I can't see us paying compensation for anybody given it would be budget related, so unless he has a get out in his contract I doubt it would happen
We will let them have Coady on a free in exchange or something.

OT, but what an insane finish that Dortmund game had, was something else. Maybe it's because of more emotional investment in EPL, but find Bundisliga to be a more fun league, and it's even more stratified at top.

Alonso needs to stay at Leverkusen, to bring it back.

Think the ffp stuff is a bit of a red herring. It's not relevant this coming season but may be a problem a few years down the line, is how I read it.

Emotional return for a man with unfinished business, no names but his initials are Bruno Lage, knows the club, likes the canteen food.

I don’t want JL to leave but if he does it has to be sooner rather than later so we can plan for next season. He worries about us being left behind, but the longer this rumbles the more likely we are to be - and no new signings will want to come to a club where a manager is making this level of noise very publicly.

Begs the question why we appointed him in the first place (besides the obvious survival guarantee) if we were just going to pull the plug on the project before the season was even over.

Stupid to go for that profile and then be surprised when he won't be fobbed off with tales of poverty and belt tightening.

I imagine he's casting envious eyes over at Villa Park

Yeah, and Hobbs even did all that “the project is back on” with the Cunha signing

Interesting summer ahead I guess, I don’t feel so optimistic at the moment though

if we don’t have the money, would we be better off with a coach who is much better at developing young talent

Perhaps, but is that what we'd get? We couldn't convince Beale to come aboard, and if we're looking for a lower profile guy to keep us in the PL on the cheap we'll undoubtedly end up with either a Rob Edwards-type or a Lage clone, surely?

Back