• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

There goes Julen!

It's not like it's a level of success that's unmatched though is it? Swansea managed similar with far less financial backing from memory. Nuno did a good job, many others have done too.
Swansea won the league cup which was amazing for them but they were nowhere near as good a team as we were. They finished 8/9th I think under Laudrup. Then over-performed under Monk a couple of seasons later.

I don’t think you quite get it anyway from a fans perspective - it’s not about comparing us to anyone else. I’d watched Wolves largely be pretty shit my entire life (and still not had it as bad as some others), and then this guy came along and we were going toe to toe with some of the best teams in the country on a consistent basis. I don’t expect it to happen again for a long time.

I think rather than me not getting it, it's just a more objective view. You guys see Nuno in the light you do because what he achieved for 'you' whereas to me it's not different to what other managers have done at other clubs, there are success stories everywhere.

The sentimental/emotional side gives you guys something extra from it but that doesn't make it any greater of an achievement when you look at it from a neutral point of view compared to other clubs.

It does matter though doesn't it. I can look at Mark Robins and go "fantastic job he's done there, seems a good bloke too, good on him". Has no impact on my life whatsoever though.

Whereas Nuno did and gave me what I never thought I'd ever have, and might never get again.

I think rather than me not getting it, it's just a more objective view. You guys see Nuno in the light you do because what he achieved for 'you' whereas to me it's not different to what other managers have done at other clubs, there are success stories everywhere.

The sentimental/emotional side gives you guys something extra from it but that doesn't make it any greater of an achievement when you look at it from a neutral point of view compared to other clubs.
No football fan in the world is going to be objective about their club, its the strange nature of the game. I've absolutely no interest in how other clubs are managed or run.
Serious question, not a dig, do you take part in other clubs forums?

No football fan in the world is going to be objective about their club, its the strange nature of the game. I've absolutely no interest in how other clubs are managed or run.
Serious question, not a dig, do you take part in other clubs forums?
No because I've never supported any other club, I did used to care more about Wolves, now I just follow with essentially zero investment in how anything actually plays out.

It does matter though doesn't it. I can look at Mark Robins and go "fantastic job he's done there, seems a good bloke too, good on him". Has no impact on my life whatsoever though.

Whereas Nuno did and gave me what I never thought I'd ever have, and might never get again.
It matters to the fans, it doesn't matter as an objective measure of their performance. The two aren't always interlinked, not in any aspect of life, you can have success with little affinity and vica versa.

Weird how telling a forum of people who care a lot about football that they care too much about football is unpopular.

Pick your battles, man.
Where did I say anyone cared too much?

Meh, mark is allowed to consume football how he wants to tbf.

When I say he doesn’t understand, I don’t mean it in a derogatory way. I just mean he can’t see how it was a special achievement and what it meant to us, so we don’t need to compare it to other clubs great achievements. Objectively I think it was anyway too tbh, we were a seriously good side pre-Covid.

Ok fair enough, you're a very unusual football 'fan'. It all seems a complete waste of your time to me. Takes all sorts.
How is it any more a waste of my time than it is yours? I like football, I follow football, I get enjoyment from the time I spend doing so. Is that not the same for you? Conversely I bet football ruins a lot more of your time than it does mine, is that not a waste of time?

Meh, mark is allowed to consume football how he wants to tbf.

When I say he doesn’t understand, I don’t mean it in a derogatory way. I just mean he can’t see how it was a special achievement and what it meant to us, so we don’t need to compare it to other clubs great achievements. Objectively I think it was anyway too tbh, we were a seriously good side pre-Covid.
No doubt it's a great achievement for Wolves fans, particular any under the age of probably 70 or so who will remember like other than relative purgatory. It's just a different perspective when you've got nothing vested in that result. I've seen other teams come up and reach Europe relatively quickly, to me they're relatively equal achievements but obviously when someone has a particular connection to one of the teams achieving such then that instance is going to be more special to them.

I'm in the same with most things to be honest, unless I have a personal stake in something then I tend to not get too wrapped up in it. Get it at work where some people are really into the company culture and will get really consumed in everything it does, take great pride in everything we deliver. For me though I have very little interest unless I'm directly involved in that project.

How is it any more a waste of my time than it is yours? I like football, I follow football, I get enjoyment from the time I spend doing so. Is that not the same for you? Conversely I bet football ruins a lot more of your time than it does mine, is that not a waste of time?
Because if I wasn't a Wolves fan, I wouldn't be investing any time at all in this forum, I wouldn't care very much about anything Wolves related.
I wasn't criticising you for your involvement, you can enjoy football however you wish, I just find it odd that anyone not invested in the club would spend so much time debating it, after all you write quite long posts which you've obviously put a lot of time in constructing.

Because if I wasn't a Wolves fan, I wouldn't be investing any time at all in this forum, I wouldn't care very much about anything Wolves related.
I wasn't criticising you for your involvement, you can enjoy football however you wish, I just find it odd that anyone not invested in the club would spend so much time debating it, after all you write quite long posts which you've obviously put a lot of time in constructing.
I can still take interest in the game without caring about results, if I only cared about results then I may as well just use the sky sports app at 5pm every Saturday and then not bother thinking about any of it for a week. Is there nothing you spend your time doing without any interest in how it turns out? You never say just go out for a walk? You don't put a film on and see how it pans out?

Football to me is just another form of entertainment, I can watch a game without caring how it ends, I can then get enjoyment from talking about it. You don't need to support a particular team for any of that.

I think maybe the whole 'I don't care' thing is overstated tbh, and I suspect a good chunk of it is for his own amusement.

But even if it's taken on face value...used to be emotionally invested, resultant to that spent time on fans forum, have lost emotional connection, still engage...isn't massively unbelievable tbh. It's only a stage or two removed from the likes of me who's gone from season ticket and a handful of away games, to seeing 2-3 matches in the last decade. My engagement online hasn't followed that linear 'regression', and mark's isn't dissimilar even if the line started in a different place.

I think it's misunderstanding the benefit that most users get from this football forum, to link it intrinsically to how much we 'care' about Wolves.
I think the "you don't even support wolves what are you doing here" vibe is no less reductive than the people who just shout "BHATTI" every time one criticises Shi

Back