• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

There goes Julen!

I think he should have confirmed he will honour his contract and spoken to the club privately, about any issues Leaving us in dispense about his future at Wolves, I think it isn't shedding the club in a good light, for future signings.
I’m sure that given we coped with the reality they were going to retain Lage last summer we’ll all cope with this!

Johnny Phillips has written an E&S article which will probably give a more accurate description of the situation but I can’t be bothered to sign up to read their premium articles to access it.

Until they start charging all you need is an email address and password.

My summary, the bits which are sourced or speculation are a bit vague

FFP not really an issue, not linked to it Fosun want over £50m positive balance from transfers this Summer, which is new news to JL

Looking for Mendes to move Nunes, Neves and Semedo. Liverpool have an interest in Neves

Won't be signing someone like Scott unless they see a high resale potential

JL is a dick for going to the press and it's not done him any favours (this bit is clearly a club line for if it goes tits up)

Some whataboutery re China invading Taiwan and the club going the same way as Chelsea with a Government embargo and therefore Fosun looking to draw back

If true and it doesn't change he'll be off, best option would be for Fosun to sell up (me not JP)

Last edited:
The only interesting bit in that is the £50M profit. Very strange.
Yep. Seems somewhat unlikely. Unless we’re only spending £50m and get a left field sale like Kilman.

I don’t see who comes in for Nunes at our break even price. Even with Mendes being Mendes, the top of the foodchain aren’t so in his pocket.

I don’t know what we see as accpetable for Semedo, or who would be interested in a declining (approaching 30 and best attribute is athleticism) defensive FB. Not sure what he’s on but “huge wages” seems more than the rumoured 80k.

Yep. Seems somewhat unlikely. Unless we’re only spending £50m and get a left field sale like Kilman.

I don’t see who comes in for Nunes at our break even price. Even with Mendes being Mendes, the top of the foodchain aren’t so in his pocket.

I don’t know what we see as accpetable for Semedo, or who would be interested in a declining (approaching 30 and best attribute is athleticism) defensive FB. Not sure what he’s on but “huge wages” seems more than the rumoured 80k.
Sell Neves, Nunes and Semedo for £100m gives plenty of room.

But £50m seems such an arbitrary number, surely that's a sale number where the can get out. The fact Fosun have failed to get investment tells me more about them wanting other peoples money but retaining control. That never ends well. They should just sell up and fuck off.

'Asset stripping' doesn't work.

They can't sell the ground, it isn't worth anything due to the freehold and covenants.

The club now doesn't owe the parent company much/anything as debt was converted to equity. Even if we made a big profit on player trading Fosun can't have that money as it's 'theirs', it isn't.

If we did clear out the squad and not spend on replacements and went down in some kind of managed decline, the value of their own asset decreases massively overnight. Makes no sense.

They're not the Oystons.

1 year recruiting both managers and
players in a haphazard style
3 tremendous years
3 of gradual decline

Those 3 years will always remain great, you can't keep harking back to that though, what happens in the present and future is more important than the past.

Like Johnny said, they just got lucky with a special manager.

It is an odd one, first time in 50 years we’re playing a sixth consecutive season in the top flight. But they’re clearly not actually that good at running the club.

Trying to turn this squad into to a top ten squad, while making a £50m transfer profit is quite the fucking ask. Particularly when realistically we haven't got a single player worth much more than £30m. Even if you were to include a reduction in annual wage spend, it just strikes me as being incredibly fanciful given the the things we need. It looks like Fosun have just seen the success we've had with Gomes, Lemina and Dawson coming in for a total of £30m and just thought 'sound, let's do that again'.

The biggest stripping of their own asset they could do is relegate us. I thought they'd learnt their lesson that you can't just cruise in the PL, it would appear not

If we take a club who've finished around the same as us for the last three years in Palace, and are majority US-owned:

- Had a largely £0 net transfer spend for a long time
- Haven't managed key assets well (Zaha could well go for free etc)
- Promised long overdue ground improvements but nothing has been done
- Seemingly no grand plan to progress from mid-table solidity at best, despite years of being a secure PL club
- Numerous flops in the transfer market
- Got a managerial appointment wrong to the point it could have cost them
- Football has at various points over those three years been stodgy, if you're being kind

And this is all with a lifelong supporter who knows football and who has a good relationship with the fans making a lot of the day-to-day calls.

If people are dissatisfied with Fosun then they're quite right to be, to a point. If you think our saviour is just waiting around the corner and they should leave ASAP then I've got news for you.

By and large it's Gulf states and US hedge fund style investors that are currently in for Premier League clubs. One is unpalatable on a moral level and one wouldn't be any better at running a club from a fan perspective, and that's being charitable.
This is true, sadly. The options are short and I would be very conflicted if we had owners like at Newcastle. They are morally repugnant but you cannot argue with the job they have done there. It has been an ownership masterclass.

Back