• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

There goes Julen!

Makes him look a better manager when he can say "I finished top 7 despite these awful FFP restrictions weighing us down"

Not sure what is particularly concerning there?
“I have a contract but we will see, this is football and we don’t know what will happen”

Add that to all the “we need to have a discussion” stuff and it just doesn’t scream, at least to me, of a bloke that views his medium to long term future here.

By the way, I don’t disagree with other comments on here. Fair play to him not being held to ransom etc.

In fairness to him, whilst he's trying hard to learn the language, and he's doing pretty well, I think certain things are getting dropped from what he wants to say and the (slightly clumsy and sometimes inaccurate) words that actually fall from his lips.
For instance and it's not a great example, but he says, 'we must hear the other view', rather than, 'I've been told this and now I must listen to the chairman's side of things'.
It's very hard and possibly wrong to try and pick up subtle nuances from what the guy is really struggling to say, both tactfully and diplomatically.
I think he's doing a great job with the team, he's trying very hard with the language, and he's made a really big investment with his family to come here and settle as he has.
I think he'll work through Jeff's smoke and fucking mirrors and stick with the job.

In fairness to him, whilst he's trying hard to learn the language, and he's doing pretty well, I think certain things are getting dropped from what he wants to say and the (slightly clumsy and sometimes inaccurate) words that actually fall from his lips.
For instance and it's not a great example, but he says, 'we must hear the other view', rather than, 'I've been told this and now I must listen to the chairman's side of things'.
It's very hard and possibly wrong to try and pick up subtle nuances from what the guy is really struggling to say, both tactfully and diplomatically.
I think he's doing a great job with the team, he's trying very hard with the language, and he's made a really big investment with his family to come here and settle as he has.
I think he'll work through Jeff's smoke and fucking mirrors and stick with the job.
Think there's some validity to this. His English is excellent and improving but not perfect as you can see with how he constructs some sentences. This is why some foreign managers choose to be interviewed in their native tongue despite speaking the language (Bielsa), fair play for him trying but can lead to misinterpretation

If Lopetegui had been lied to and was so incensed about it he was thinking about walking out on the club with no payoff, in fact being in breach of contract, would he really give a fuck about a dead rubber away against a side who’ve reverted to type in being pretty wank? He’d have already fucked off by now.

If Lopetegui had been lied to and was so incensed about it he was thinking about walking out on the club with no payoff, in fact being in breach of contract, would he really give a fuck about a dead rubber away against a side who’ve reverted to type in being pretty wank? He’d have already fucked off by now.
I think he's still deciding. Up to Jeff to be honest with Lop which will be refreshing for a change.

If Jeff did lie to Julen I've no idea why he'd entertain that for even a second.

Lop is not Lage; Julen could walk out of Wolverhampton today and have a job tomorrow. He doesn't need us in any way, shape, or form.

He’s under contract, he can’t just walk out.
I'm being hypothetical tbf, I just mean that he's not the sort of manager who would be short of opportunities should he find himself unemployed. He doesn't really have anything to fear from Fosun, IMO.

Last edited:
I'm being hypothetical tbf, I just mean that he's not the sort of manager who would be short of opportunities should he find himself unemployed. He doesn't really have anything to fear from Fosun, IMO.
No he wouldn’t. Agreed there. Mark obviously knows more about football management law and not being in breach of contract considering his usual laughing emoji so you may be right. Maybe he can fill us in.

We can't physically force JL to come to work. I guess he would offer a resignation, we would refuse and then he just wouldn't turn up.

He can resign and sit at home if he wants.

He can't resign and stroll into another job immediately, unless he can prove constructive dismissal or whatever.

Same as any player could retire from professional football and effectively rip up their contract if they wanted. Fine, but you aren't playing for anyone else.

When Hoddle resigned in 2006 (from a rolling one year contract) we had to have a meeting with him first to check he wasn't going anywhere else, there was talk Charlton were interested.

He'd resign and his next club which wouldn't be along in too much time would pay compo in the same way as they would if he were in a job. We could play hardball and refuse but given the reason he'd be leaving that's not likely

Managers resign. Often. Even if by some weird quirk of mentalism he didn't have a break clause or whatever in his contract, the conversation would go like this...

"This job isn't what I thought it would be. Maybe I got the wrong end of the stick, maybe you were wrong, or maybe you 'inadvertently misled' me. Either way, I'm off"

"yOUhAVe Ac0nTRact"

"I'm still going, I don't like you and/or the job"

*sabre rattling*

*veiled insults and leaks of information*

*non-disclosure agreement*

*Lop gets good job*

*we get shit manager*

*literally years of speculation and character assassinations*

Fin.

Managers don’t tend to walk out of a job with one game left, though. Just for shits and giggles.

If he’s going to go, it’ll be once the season is done. Dead rubber or not.

Sure someone will be along soon to tell you how wrong you all are and how poor old Julen is trapped to toil away in Wolverhampton until the evil slavemasters at Fosun allow him to leave.

I think he should have confirmed he will honour his contract and spoken to the club privately, about any issues Leaving us in dispense about his future at Wolves, I think it isn't shedding the club in a good light, for future signings.

Back