• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

There goes Julen!

I think we're OK to watch at home. But then I suppose if I'd spent 18 months only eating catshit pie, having a Big Mac every day for five months afterwards would seem like heaven, even though they're not that nice.

I think we're OK to watch at home.
Its only just popped into my head but reckon that's possibly one of the biggest contributors to the 'wider picture' views of match going fans and iptv pricks like me; because while obviously I know our home record is better and that, I guess the performance level at home isn't so prevalent in my mind as it's the same experience home or away. So my 'really inconsistent, erring towards dull' is your 'home we're good, away we're shit', because of the differing associations with the games. If that makes sense.

I think we're OK to watch at home. But then I suppose if I'd spent 18 months only eating catshit pie, having a Big Mac every day for five months afterwards would seem like heaven, even though they're not that nice.
Agree. I’ve enjoyed going to home games again. But I think it’s more that I’m emotionally involved, whereas prior I had completely lost interest and was just there because I’d paid.

Not conceding first all the time and having no chance of getting back into the game (and knowing it) also helps.

John Percy
@JPercyTelegraph
#Wolves Julen Lopetegui hosted members of the written press today. Latest:
Repeated he was unaware of club’s financial situation
“Not asking for incredible signings” but knows money will be tight & sales may be necessary
Talks continuing but discussions “positive” #wwfc

Has to be made clear that Lopetegui was at Wolves’ end of season awards dinner tonight with his full team. Definitely issues to sort, and Wolves transfer strategy has certainly changed, but club still hopeful Lopetegui will be manager next season

I’m really not sure what his point is. We have loads of deadwood which we can get rid of which will raise funds. Plus big earners off the wage bill.

We also just had a net spend of over £110m. We’ve spent a lot of money badly and now are paying the penalty for that. I thought that would be pretty obvious for anyone who had spent more than 5 minutes looking at our squad, transfer dealings and turnover.

Outside of Neves we'll raise very little from the deadwood and will still need Fosun to put the 30m.

Depends what you call little. I think we could get £10m for Podence, the same for RAN (potentially a lot more?). Then the small fees for all the players on loan, all adds up.

That would probably allow us to kick the can down the road on the owner financing. But Fosun are going to have to learn that they are going to have to put the money in at some point to make up for all the money wasted, or gut the squad yearly to avoid it and probably get relegated.

If the plan was to minimise owner funding then surely they could see paying £30m for Semedo, £30m Guedes, £45m Cunha, £40m Nunes (and of course Fabio) was completely stupid, or are they really that clueless? Seem happy enough to just give millions to Mendes without thinking but then super tight when it comes to their own club/fans (ticket prices!)

But Fosun are going to have to learn that they are going to have to put the money in at some point to make up for all the money wasted, or gut the squad yearly to avoid it and probably get relegated.

If the plan was to minimise owner funding then surely they could see paying £30m for Semedo, £30m Guedes, £45m Cunha, £40m Nunes (and of course Fabio) was completely stupid, or are they really that clueless? Seem happy enough to just give millions to Mendes without thinking but then super tight when it comes to their own club/fans (ticket prices!)

Their strategy is all over the place.

We fork out inflated fees for mediocrity, generally miss windows to actually sell assets at their peak (Neves, Adama), get shit deals when we do (Jota), do weird charity loans like Adama to Barca and Coady to Everton for eventually £5m (or not).

Then after all that plead poverty to probably the most high profile manager we've ever had just after he basically saves our arse from going down

If Declan Rice of West Ham is valued at £100million, why are we fucking about with a valuation of 45 mill for Ruben?

If Declan Rice of West Ham is valued at £100million, why are we fucking about with a valuation of 45 mill for Ruben?
The English premium init .

Podence 10m
Giles 10m?
Sa 10m
Neves 40m
Kilman - let’s be realistic and say 15m?

There’s 85m straight away

Their strategy is all over the place.

We fork out inflated fees for mediocrity, generally miss windows to actually sell assets at their peak (Neves, Adama), get shit deals when we do (Jota), do weird charity loans like Adama to Barca and Coady to Everton for eventually £5m (or not).

Then after all that plead poverty to probably the most high profile manager we've ever had just after he basically saves our arse from going down
To be fair although the sentiment of your post is fair a few things in it I don't quite agree with, for example I thought Julen had the final say on the last influx of players, so if we've brought mediocrity he needs to shoulder some of the blame (although I did read that on here so if its made up bollox, then your point stands)
I do not think we 'missed a window' to sell Neves and Adama. I honestly believe no one came in for them, unless you're eluding to a couple of seasons ago when Adama was worth £70mil according to some on here.
The Barca deal I think was considered a 'means to an end' although there was just one flaw in the plan, Barca never realised how shit Adama was/is.
The Coady deal I just think was the club honouring the wishes of their club captain who I think, every one agrees , who's days here were numbered, whether that was to save his England career or to escape for that horse faced twat we'll never know

To be fair although the sentiment of your post is fair a few things in it I don't quite agree with, for example I thought Julen had the final say on the last influx of players, so if we've brought mediocrity he needs to shoulder some of the blame (although I did read that on here so if its made up bollox, then your point stands)
I do not think we 'missed a window' to sell Neves and Adama. I honestly believe no one came in for them, unless you're eluding to a couple of seasons ago when Adama was worth £70mil according to some on here.
The Barca deal I think was considered a 'means to an end' although there was just one flaw in the plan, Barca never realised how shit Adama was/is.
The Coady deal I just think was the club honouring the wishes of their club captain who I think, every one agrees , who's days here were numbered, whether that was to save his England career or to escape for that horse faced twat we'll never know

Of course, I agree there's more nuance in all these points, but you have to omit some to make it readable sometimes, and I do think the overall point about strategy stands.

I certainly don't think Lop is flawless in the whole scenario, it's probably harsh to tar Nunes and Cunha with the mediocrity tag, but they're definitely niche and overpriced. There are worse offenders like Fabio, Guedes and Semedo (to a degree, although at least he's been a consistent servant).

Maybe Lop didn't bat an eye at overpaying for the two above as he thought we wee minted and the situation was pretty desperate!

If Fosun are that worried about FFP then perhaps they shouldn’t have spent over £100m on Guedes, Nunes & Cunha. I think any of us on here could have found a better way to spend that sort of money.

I know we are not alone in this but we really are not a very well run club. Personally, I can’t wait for Fosun to do one.

Personally, I can’t wait for Fosun to do one.
All they need to do is put a different person in the Exec Chairman's seat.

We are not badly run as such. Look around and you will see plenty of badly run clubs we currently have the wrong person leading the club.

Jeff was fine for the first couple of years but then decided he knew it all and then our issues started. Making transfer decisions (Fabio), binning anyone who didn't nod a long with him and put in idiots to replace them.
He did rectify some of that when the Lopetegui era started but here we are again with another comms disaster.

Problem Jeff has created for himself here is he needs to speak to clarify some things but if he does that a lot of people won't believe him and he will show a lack of understanding for some basic things in his role.

So its not Fosun to do one, its Jeff and replace him with someone who knows how to run a football club.

Of course, I agree there's more nuance in all these points, but you have to omit some to make it readable sometimes, and I do think the overall point about strategy stands.

I certainly don't think Lop is flawless in the whole scenario, it's probably harsh to tar Nunes and Cunha with the mediocrity tag, but they're definitely niche and overpriced. There are worse offenders like Fabio, Guedes and Semedo (to a degree, although at least he's been a consistent servant).

Maybe Lop didn't bat an eye at overpaying for the two above as he thought we wee minted and the situation was pretty desperate!
Nunes wasn't even Lop. Given Cunha's price tag, the day one of the window signing and the way its structure has You-Know-Who's signature all over it, even if Lop gave it a green light. Given Cunha is easily best XI, as are a lot from the Jan window, I don't see how that window can be used to blame Lop for our mediocre squad.

Back