• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

There goes Julen!

Yeah, and Hobbs even did all that “the project is back on” with the Cunha signing

Interesting summer ahead I guess, I don’t feel so optimistic at the moment though

And the financial situation has not changed in the space of a few months...unless Fosun want out completely. The value of any sale would be division dependent so if they have been holding out until now it would explain the new financial situation.

The one thing I can't shake, but might be considered out there is that Lage, little investment, 11-17th and funneling money to Mendes is business as usual.

Lopetegui has served his purpose for all intents and purposes. Hes been used as a firefighter to maintain the status quo. Get rid of that pesky manager asking for backing and they can get back to business as usual.

I'd be amazed if Lopetegui does go he isn't replaced with a Mendes stooge and suddenly we find a bit of cash to sign a client for 30% more than their value.

The one thing I can't shake, but might be considered out there is that Lage, little investment, 11-17th and funneling money to Mendes is business as usual.

Lopetegui has served his purpose for all intents and purposes. Hes been used as a firefighter to maintain the status quo. Get rid of that pesky manager asking for backing and they can get back to business as usual.

I'd be amazed if Lopetegui does go he isn't replaced with a Mendes stooge and suddenly we find a bit of cash to sign a client for 30% more than their value.

Trouble is, we're going to quickly run out of elite managers who'll come to us when said stooge mires us at the bottom of the table.

Especially when they see what happens when safety is secured

Trouble is, we're going to quickly run out of elite managers who'll come to us when said stooge mires us at the bottom of the table.

Especially when they see what happens when safety is secured

Kind of agree but its like Watford isnt it, people keep asking why do people keep going there. invariably you back the wrong horse and get relegated. It's why I think its out there but not entirely inconceivable, especially if we get a Pardew at Newcastle type (shudder) who keeps the club ticking in that 11-17th range for a few years. If every December we're putting the bat signal up then it makes it harder.

Pure speculation on my part.

Looking at our turnover and wage bill, we probably have the ceiling to make a £30m net loss on transfers every year (assuming Fosun put in the money). That isnt going to get you very far.

Obviously some years it can be more, some years it will then need to be less.

So we don’t really have the headroom to spend all this money to consistently get in the top 7. It’s just never going to happen. Unless we increase revenue streams from sponsorship, big increase in capacity (we wouldn’t fill it) or big profit on transfers (needs a much better strategy).

JL moaning about it and saying he can’t succeed without it (or words to that effect) is strange when he’s just come from Sevilla who don’t pay big wages, don’t spend big fees and always sell their best players.

I don’t think Fosun have suddenly changed the strategy in a few months. So for me he is being very unrealistic and coming accross as a bit of a dick. If that’s not the case and they have suddenly said we need a profit on transfers then next year we’re going to need these expensive players we own to turn up, make some savvy signings and stink our way to safety a bit like Everton have.

Thing is when we sacked Lage we could have brought in any old duffer like BFS or Dyche to perform firefighting duties but bringing in someone of Lopetegui’s ilk and also allowing him to bring all his support staff too suggests something a little more long term and projecty than that. I'm sure it wasn't Fosun’s intention to give Lop a 6 month holiday in Costa Del Compton and if so they need to work with him and resolve this nonsense. I still think he will stay but needs clarifying quickly

I don't think he'll do a Hoddle. If he leaves then it's because he wants another top level job. Hanging around here to pick up a couple of months' wages isn't a good look.

Not an FFP expert by any means, but could this be it?

1) Fosun wanted and expected to have sold off a minority stake in the club by now.
2) They know that the biggest investors right now want Newcastle-type situations, where a club has been flying well below the FFP limit for multiple seasons, so they can come in and immediately start flexing their financial muscle.
3) They now feel that they need to go gung-ho in fixing up the financials with a forced transfer profit over the summer to fix this.

Not saying it's a logical or smart strategy - for example, I don't get why, if this is indeed the situation, it would require such an urgent repair job (why not just sell the whole club, they'll still make a profit on their initial investment?) - but I wonder if this is at least part of what's happening here.

People aren't queuing up to buy football clubs.

We could really do with a Spanish speaker like Ballague to translate....
The problem with Spanish to English, there is no direct translation.

It is virtually impossible to go that word means that. You have to understand the subject, listen then understand what he is iaying, then you translate.

• Haha
Reactions: jlo
Er, there is direct translation a lot of the time. Like 90%+ of the time.

It's not a secret code, it's a foreign language.

Ooo, are we gonna talk about linguistics??

giphy.gif

I suspect this one will be a shortish conversation. I don't think Lopetegui was even speaking Spanish at the time for a start.

Suffice to say that most words do translate directly, otherwise dictionary makers would be facing quite the legal case. As with anything in any language across the entire planet, context matters, but that goes without saying. If I say José Sa is a war crime of a goalkeeper (he is, quite often), I don't literally mean he should be dragged from between the posts and hauled in front of a tribunal in The Hague. Although now I think about it...

In fairness to him, whilst he's trying hard to learn the language, and he's doing pretty well, I think certain things are getting dropped from what he wants to say and the (slightly clumsy and sometimes inaccurate) words that actually fall from his lips.
For instance and it's not a great example, but he says, 'we must hear the other view', rather than, 'I've been told this and now I must listen to the chairman's side of things'.
It's very hard and possibly wrong to try and pick up subtle nuances from what the guy is really struggling to say, both tactfully and diplomatically.
I think he's doing a great job with the team, he's trying very hard with the language, and he's made a really big investment with his family to come here and settle as he has.
I think he'll work through Jeff's smoke and fucking mirrors and stick with the job.

I hope so, eventhough he has his faults, he did well to keep us up.

Er, there is direct translation a lot of the time. Like 90%+ of the time.

It's not a secret code, it's a foreign language.
Maybe he means you don't translate it word for word, because for example, when you use idiomatic expressions, they literally mean something completely different if you translate the phrase, word for word.
An example, my wife hit the roof, because I arrived home late. Someone who doesn’t speak English very well, might think your wife has made a hole in the ceiling and has a broken hand.

Nothing more on the will he won't he (stay) saga but he likes fine dining. Hobbs and his son also found a few players that we can't get now because of the finances :(.

Back