• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

There goes Julen!

Don't think there has been any real mention anywhere of him walking or being sacked hasctgere? I'd just read the stuff as hysterical conjecture based on him being a bit unhappy with our transfer plans.
Oh, it's been fairly heavy speculation and there's been at least some basis to it, but it rolls quicker down the hill when you have the quadruple factors of:

a) A journalist who is at least tangentially close to Lopetegui being the one starting it off
b) Other journalists jumping on the bandwagon, so you get 20 stories rather than 1
c) Our fans forever thinking we are cursed, always aiming for the most negative outlook possible, getting angry about things that haven't even happened, which is fucking tiresome to be honest
d) Lopetegui not immediately cutting off the story (this is not to his credit)

It's a tricky one as he has got a little bit of 'form'... ditching us the last second (albeit we were in the Championship and at the start of the project) to manage Spain, agreeing to become Real Madrid manager whilst at a World Cup, so on.
I think the majority of managers would act similarly in those circumstances.

I think the majority of managers would act similarly in those circumstances.
I'm sure Steve Bruce could easily argue away his Littlest Hobo phase at the start of his managerial career. He'd actually have a point with a lot of it too. That perception took years to go away though.

See also Mark Hughes acting like a weirdo at multiple clubs and how the quality of job he was subsequently offered going on a downward slope.

Oh, it's been fairly heavy speculation and there's been at least some basis to it, but it rolls quicker down the hill when you have the quadruple factors of:

a) A journalist who is at least tangentially close to Lopetegui being the one starting it off
b) Other journalists jumping on the bandwagon, so you get 20 stories rather than 1
c) Our fans forever thinking we are cursed, always aiming for the most negative outlook possible, getting angry about things that haven't even happened, which is fucking tiresome to be honest
d) Lopetegui not immediately cutting off the story (this is not to his credit)

Yep, it's the lack of denial that's most troubling - it has been more of a "we do have these concerns, I didn't know about them, we need to fix them or else".

When, in actual fact, he'd be a much more attractive proposition for 'bigger' clubs if he got us 8th-13th in spite of the financial constraints.

Maybe he means you don't translate it word for word, because for example, when you use idiomatic expressions, they literally mean something completely different if you translate the phrase, word for word.
An example, my wife hit the roof, because I arrived home late. Someone who doesn’t speak English very well, might think your wife has made a hole in the ceiling and has a broken hand.
Exactly that, there is no literal translation if there was Google Translate would be brilliant, it's not It's shit.

There are also dialects to understand. I speak Andalus, Google translate does not have a fucking clue.

Yep, it's the lack of denial that's most troubling - it has been more of a "we do have these concerns, I didn't know about them, we need to fix them or else".

When, in actual fact, he'd be a much more attractive proposition for 'bigger' clubs if he got us 8th-13th in spite of the financial constraints.
The non-denial from Lop is what has me hoping this is all some kind of Burn After Reading shit.

Exactly that, there is no literal translation if there was Google Translate would be brilliant, it's not It's shit.

There are also dialects to understand. I speak Andalus, Google translate does not have a fucking clue.
You know I'm literally a translator? Like, that's what I do for a living?

He wasn't even speaking Spanish and even if he were, suggesting "there is no literal translation" across the board is complete bampot stuff.

I think your second point is very valid. However his random selections, general lack of style of play and performance inconsistencies, don't really point to a manager who wants to build a team by putting round pegs in round holes.
I can watch Brighton, Newcastle, Fulham, Villa, Palace week after week and know that their players are playing to a formation, playing in their accepted positions, playing to instructions and generally having a 'shape'. Don't see that with Wolves. Looks like a random set of generally good footballers put into Camelot with the bonus ball being Adama, Podence, or Gomes most weeks.
In short, after five months, he doesn't seem to know what his best team is and nor do I.

I can watch Brighton, Newcastle, Fulham, Villa, Palace week after week and know that their players are playing to a formation, playing in their accepted positions, playing to instructions and generally having a 'shape'. Don't see that with Wolves. Looks like a random set of generally good footballers put into Camelot with the bonus ball being Adama, Podence, or Gomes most weeks.
Don't think that's remotely fair. The very first noticeable thing about Lopetegui's teams (before we signed any new players) was how much more organised we looked than the absolute chaos that was Lage/Davis before Christmas.

He hasn't fluked top half form, top half form that we've achieved without having a single reliable goalscorer available.

Don't think that's remotely fair. The very first noticeable thing about Lopetegui's teams (before we signed any new players) was how much more organised we looked than the absolute chaos that was Lage/Davis before Christmas.

He hasn't fluked top half form, top half form that we've achieved without having a single reliable goalscorer available.
Lage was a very low bar and we were actually creating chances the first few games, the belief went, Lage started blaming all and sundry and the inevitable downward spiral continued.
Lopetegui has fluked some piss poor performances as well though...Leeds, Forest, Brighton, Arsenal....
Besides Lage didn't have a centre forward either, nor did he have some of the signings Lopetegui has had.
I'm not saying Lopetegui won't get it right but so far the style or shape seems to be patchy at best to me.

We're really harking back to August 2021 with Lage again?

We looked a mess under him THIS season.

You can see that we resemble a football team now. Not a particularly exciting one (we're not Pulis levels of dull either) but it's a team that broadly speaking, knows what it should be doing. You don't fluke the home record he has.

And I hate playing this card, but having attended every single home game under Bruno Lage and Steve Davis, and subsequently every single home game under Julen Lopetegui, they aren't even on the same page. We need to sort the away form out, that is clear.

As I haven't been to any away games this season I wouldn't dare suggest to those that have that actually, we've been really good in those games and they don't know what they're on about.

Last edited:
We're really harking back to August 2021 with Lage again?

We looked a mess under him THIS season.

You can see that we resemble a football team now. Not a particularly exciting one (we're not Pulis levels of dull either) but it's a team that broadly speaking, knows what it should be doing. You don't fluke the home record he has.

And I hate playing this card, but having attended every single home game under Bruno Lage and Steve Davis, and subsequently every single home game under Julen Lopetegui, they aren't even on the same page. We need to sort the away form out, that is clear.

As I haven't been to any away games this season I wouldn't dare suggest to those that have that actually, we've been really good in those games and they don't know what they're on about.
I hope lopetegui stays and turns us into a consistent top ten side, with a consistent way of playing home and away, win, lose or draw.
So far in the months he's been here he hasnt completely convinced me he will.
On home form: yes, very good and that with Sa and Kilman playing.

Depends what you mean by "top ten side", because Fulham finished 10th...but we more or less matched their form from Christmas onwards (even with losing our final three away games by an aggregate of 13-0, with us barely having a shot on goal, which I know is unacceptable) and their metrics are nearly as bad as Lage's 10th placed finish (not quite as bad I'll grant you, and they pass the eye test much easier).

I can only give you my own experience of watching us play every other week. I didn't really want to go for 18 months (still did, of course) and now I do. So he must be doing something right.

The full quote. But as Alan said, he needs to fucking pipe down now. It’s becoming extremely tedious hearing him effectively say “come and get me” in every interview he’s having. Besides, why’s he chatting to the media so much? The seasons finished and I haven’t seen an interview with any other PL manager published since (although I haven’t really been looking, admittedly).

He may be a decent manager but all this chatter is starting to put me right off him.

Back