• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

There goes Julen!

Conte threw his employers, players and grandma under all the buses Mourinho once parked in Tottenham. His contract was up in a few months and he wanted an early break especially after his operation and spending time back home.

I'm not a fan of what Lopetegui has done but aware his comments are from 1 or 2 moments are spread across nearly 2 weeks and numerous outlets take on the comments. The lost in translation stuff as well as even Liam had to edit a story after the Arsenal game as he admitted he had not understood Lopetegui's comments.

I did say 'a bit of a Conte'... not full Antonio.

But I think there's too much out there to seriously claim it's just misinterpretation or bad timing, and that's not even taking his demeanor or body language into account, or some of the phoned-in performances by his players once we were safe.

He's not stupid, he knows what he's doing and what he's saying, remains to be seen what his end game is, but exit strategy is a fair bet

So far the stories have come from

Wolves telling Liam and PTS about FFP
Lopetegui confirming it and saying he is not happy with it and may have spoke to his journo mate.
Lopetegui saying talks are on going but not resolved (during a presser)
Lopetegui doing a media day with stories delayed
Lopetegui saying we really need to improve this squad after being dicked 5-0 after a game.

From that about 500 stories, Internet rumours and thousands of hours discussing it.

Obviously would be better if the club could work out how it wants to work and a manager keeping issues in house until it reaches a point he can't carry on but he hasn't and its difficult to avoid the noise it has created. As it stands though, nothing new has been added to it since last week.

The quotes about Serie A are new though aren't they?

Probably from the same interview and media session to be honest and just brought up now by an Italian journo. BFD.

Knobhead fans on social media saying he should go, because he’s only managed tinpot teams and never won anything, and won’t get another job as good as us.
Yea I know, before you all point it out.

It's not stuff that's plucked out of the air, they're words from his actual mouth, spread across at least three press events
BFD. It came up in one presser. Then Balague wrote a load of stirring shit so he got asked again at the next presser and end of season media day.

I really don't know.
I feel punts made several good points earlier in the thread.
What has struck me is the stark change in lopeteguis tone. Following his appointment he spoke highly of the respect shown to him when we first approached him. He gave a lot of credit to how the approach was conducted by the club. So it does now seem a bit odd that in 5 months time the landscape has changed so significantly?
If it has, & he wasn't given sufficient info, is that his own lack of due diligence? If not, how can What appears to be quite a disassociation have arisen between the board and coach?

If he was a long term target, as we know, would we really mislead him when recruiting him?

I would expect lopetegui to know ffp isn't the real issue, but transfer budget is. What I can't figure, is how that could have changed so much in a short space of time.

Whatever it is, no one is coming out of it well, & it has few/no positives for the club till it is resolved, as the ongoing speculation just seems to muddy the waters.

He's not doing himself any favours with the fan base, that is for sure. The longer it rumbles on the worse it will get. It needs someone to come out and either say he's staying, or the corner flag picture gets posted.....

If Lopetegui was seriously looking for a move, wouldn't he be on the phone to his agent rather than mouthing off in the press?.

I'm sure Mendes would be happy to slide him at a Spurs or Roma or somewhere equivalent.

What purpose could this noise in the press serve?

I think Lop being vocal about possibly leaving would be a lot easier to stomach if he hadn’t recently overseen dreadful 6-0 and 5-0 defeats.

I do hope he stays but am getting increasingly frustrated with the guy.
Equally the dreadful away form culminating in those defeats makes the prospect of him leaving a little more palatable. It almost never ends well whenever there is doubt over a manager’s future so unless he comes out with an unequivocal statement that he’s reached agreement with the owners and is fully committed to Wolves I’d rather he left now.

If Lopetegui was seriously looking for a move, wouldn't he be on the phone to his agent rather than mouthing off in the press?.

I'm sure Mendes would be happy to slide him at a Spurs or Roma or somewhere equivalent.

What purpose could this noise in the press serve?
He wants to put pressure on Jeff to spend more money again this summer, and probably offer deals to players that we don't necessarily want to (Costa, Traore, etc).

We can probably afford to do it, but we'll be sailing close to the wind financially after this season. It seems like a normal situation for a club our size but maybe Jeff wants to rebuild the squad with a cheaper approach this summer with smaller signings (Lemina, Dawson), and Lop wants it with marquee signings again (Cunha, Nunes).

It shouldn't be done by making veiled threats in public though. It should be kept behind closed doors. If Lop expects the fanbase to be completely on his side if he doesn't get what he wants and walks, then he's misjudged the situation badly.

@ above, Again didn't he say he just wanted signings, didn't have to be big signings?

I feel like I wasn't too bothered by it all until I read the Italy comment. Now I'm less confident [in him staying]

@ above, Again didn't he say he just wanted signings, didn't have to be big signings?
Yes but every manager wants signings. So why has he made it such a public issue unless there is a clash of strategies?

Back