• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Winter 2018/19 Transfer Thread

I have mentioned this before but what are people expecting when they describe a player as 'can't cross/no good at crossing' etc. According to the Prem site Moutiniho has put in 100 crosses and he has 4 assists. So if all those assists came from crossing (which I am sure 1 doesn't) then players are only scoring every 25th cross on average. Doherty and Jonny are showing as 43 and 25 crosses each too.

Overall the amount of balls we put in the box is fairly low as we are 12th overall.

Telegraph linking us (and Villa) with Charlie Austin. Weird one. Don't believe it for a second.

Would be totally pointless in our team. As good as an empty shirt outside the box and nothing like fit enough.

Has to be bollocks, he doesn't suit us at all. Cannot ever imagine him being the type of player Nuno would want.

Can't believe people are not up for signing Jonny, he's our best/most consistant defender, as for his attacking play, his crossing is no worse than Vinagre or Doherty and he's not so old that he can't improve. Also imo he is more comfortable on the right and he's not had proper run on that side.
As for Cav, he is our best finisher by some margin, yes he is inconsistant but he's not really had a decent run in the team, I'd keep him unless there is a proper upgrade on the horizon.

Re Jonny I and maybe some others have kind of just chipped in with thoughts. He's class and would love us to sign him still

Marca and AS now reporting the permanent deal for Jonny is as good as done. That would be awesome news.

Extraordinary news. We are signing a current Spanish international who is only 24. Right now we are 4th favourites for the FA Cup. I think I am going to like down.

If the Jonny deal is anywhere south of £25M it's absolutely superb news. I think he's a brilliant footballer.

Sounds like about £15m, which is insane levels of bargain

Jonny, Moutinho and Patricio for less than £40M if that was the case. Holy shit.

Sounds like about £15m, which is insane levels of bargain

Jonny, Moutinho and Patricio for less than £40M if that was the case. Holy shit.

If that's the price then less than Fulham paid for Seri & Mitovic

I know what I would rather have bought!

Technically he's the best defender I've seen play for Wolves. I've never seen anyone time a tackle 1v1 against a winger quite like he does.

I understand the argument that he's maybe not 100% suited to our shape but I will always feel that our starting XI will be much poorer whenever he's not included.

If we sign him permanently Atletico will regret it.

More than welcome addition, especially if it's less than £20m. He's a very good defender, but doesn't really set the pulses racing as an attacking wing-back.

Happy with that - gives us cover on both sides, and we can develop Vinagre to be the attacking left wing back for the games we need one.

Seems like a good guy and a sound pro too, which is Important.

True he doesn't, not at the moment anyway. But you would hope Nuno and the coaches could work on it with him. Look at what they've done for Doc, after all. IIRC Jonny didn't come in until quite late in preseason so hopefully the extra coaching time without needing to focus on prepping for an opponent will help.

For me he's worth signing not just for his defensive capability but his ability to play on either flank. That's worth a lot just in itself.

You go back a couple of years and we lost 2-1 to Burton with, I think, Coady and RB and Doc at LB. Given what Nuno and the coaching team have done with those players, what they might do with Jonny doesn't bear thinking about

Jonny’s positional play when we have the ball is also very intelligent. He recognises when to position inside of the winger or the other way round and he’s so calm on the ball too. I want to see more of him on the right though! And this will also give Vinagre opportunities which he needs

£15m would be unbelievable business. I share some of the concerns about his offensive play, but we can improve that and players of his calibre won't be available that often in that price bracket.

Back