• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Winter 2018/19 Transfer Thread

AS reporting that Atleti are going to sell us Jonny to raise funds for Morata.

Obviously all depending on us selling Berra first.
Marca reporting this as well now.

Controversial post time. I wouldn't sign Jonny, I don't think he's good enough for the position we want him to play (either side). I do think he's a damn good full back, but we don't play with one.

Controversial post time. I wouldn't sign Jonny, I don't think he's good enough for the position we want him to play (either side). I do think he's a damn good full back, but we don't play with one.

Was thinking similar. Long term we have Vini & Giles on the left; Doc does need competition / upgrading, but Jonny isn't a WB so unless we changed formation I'm not convinced either.

We'd be daft not to sign him - he's a quality footballer!

I agree that he doesn't look a natural wingback, just doesn't have the same drive going forwards that you get from Doherty or Vinagre, but depending on the price it could still be a useful addition as defensively he's extremely capable. It could be useful to have a more attacking and more defensive option available for either side dependent on opposition, could also provide opportunity to switch to a back four if the situation ever dictated, but then Jonny perhaps wouldn't be that keen to sign if he knew it was a toss up between him and Doherty every week to suit the type of game that was anticipated.

Was thinking similar. Long term we have Vini & Giles on the left; Doc does need competition / upgrading, but Jonny isn't a WB so unless we changed formation I'm not convinced either.

Whut? He's been quality IMO. One of our most consistent players and he doesn't shirk his defensive responsibilities. I hope we sign him.

Whut? He's been quality IMO. One of our most consistent players and he doesn't shirk his defensive responsibilities. I hope we sign him.

He's a great full back - possibly one of, if not the, best I've ever seen at Wolves. its just we don't play with full-backs.

I can appreciate both sides of the argument. He's a top defender and a very clever footballer. But I can also see that he isn't quite the perfect fit for the role we are asking him to play. As the weeks go by, I do find myself getting more & more frustrated with how much he breaks up the play or flow of an attack, because he just stops and passes the ball backwards. Where as someone like Vinagre, his first instinct is to keep going forward.

Ultimately it shows how far we've come that we are debating whether to sign a Spain international on a permanent basis.

Jonny is still only 24 (bit of a hard paper round). How come he can't ever change his game, that's him forever, can never develop his attacking play, whereas Traore (23 today) could become a world beater (despite all the evidence to date) with a bit of Nuno coaching magic?

Assuming we see Jonny on the right does he have the attributes to play RWB? (fwiw Traore has the attributes to make it, they just don;t seem to appear at the same time..)

Jonny isn't particularly quick, but he does have the ability to beat players occasionally. He doesn't have a great cross or shot though. What slightly worried me is I always thought he cut in from the left because he's right footed, but he did the same when playing on the right last week.

If Nuno didn't think he was the perfect fit they would get rid. They didn't think Douglas, one of our key players in Promotion, was up to it, not even as a back up option and got rid of him quickly.

We have changed how we use Jonny as the season has gone on and if you watch the games when he played for Spain, although he was down as a basic RB he spent 90% of his time playing in the final third. The switch from the 3 up top to 2 with Moutinho behind them has also helped him. I also think he looks better playing on the left than the right.

Fullbacks and Wingbacks both need to defend and Jonny is an outstanding defender. Maybe he could do a little bit more going forwards but overall he’s been one of our better players this season. If the price is sensible we’d be mad not to sign him.

I think he plays better on the right than on the left but I'm in the minority. It was noticeable how better we were down the right against Leicester when he was there compared to how poor we were when Doc came on.

I also think Jota plays much better with Vinagre than he does with Jonny.

I also think Jota plays much better with Vinagre than he does with Jonny.

If we play the front 3 yes but when it is him and Raul up top I don't think it makes much difference to his play

Jonny is way better than either of our current full backs. I’m a big fan of Vinagre but I’m not so sure he was as amazing as people seemed to think he was against Leicester. He can learn a lot from Jonny regarding his defensive ability and intelligent use of the ball. If the opportunity is there to sign him we have to do it

Vinagre is nowhere a finished article yet, agree with Youngie, Jonny can help him excel and be that player I know he can be. Vinagre will be a top wing back in a couple of years.

Back