• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Winter 2018/19 Transfer Thread

It's not the kind of information we would leak and for it to make print, it's got to have come from somewhere.

It's not the kind of information we would leak and for it to make print, it's got to have come from somewhere.

The journo could've found the info anywhere (forums, social media) or the agent could've put it out there as you say. He could of course but just making it up to sell papers.

Agents do leak stories but as Chelsea own the player it would be barmy of the agent to ask for more money from Chelsea.

Villa Talk is hilarious. Apparently we're being disrespectful and classless for taking a young player from a local team. Villa would never dream of doing it themselves apparently.

Also a few suggesting that we're deliberately trying to weaken their promotion push so that we can keep them down because we're worried about them going up and 'knocking us off our perch'.

So delusional.

To be honest I like being West Midlands top dogs and the longer it stays that way the happier I will be. I particularly enjoy the fact that Villa have got rich new owners (not as rich as Fosun, no matter what the massive think) and are completely hamstrung from spending big by FFP.

However, I wouldn't be basing our transfer policy just on keeping it that way. That would be nonsensical.

They don't care about FFP, they've just spent £7m on Kalinic and they want to give us another wedge for Hause.

They are somewhat limited while in the Championship.

And of Blues get hit with the inevitable punishment for accounts which are disgraceful, and Villa are let off then the lawyers are going to have a field day.

So will they get off FFP or are they just ignoring it hoping it'll go away because they're a big club,and the football league wouldn't dare deduct points of the midlands biggest club Type thing?

The EFL will do absolutely nothing. They’ve known about Blues situation since April yet are still to actually do anything (and they then went to break their transfer embargo). Blues could quite easily get promoted through the play offs so if they are going to do anything they need to pull their finger out.

There’s no way Villa can spend what they’re spending and not be breaking it (plus sacking Bruce and the new bumper contract they handed Grealish) so they obviously don’t care, are taking a huge gamble or have had the goalposts moved.

I think that they believe they will be allowed to get away with it because of the change of ownership. Spending money putting the house in order as well as on players, and the new owners clearly can afford the outlay so there is no danger of the club going pop, which looked a near certain outcome under Xia.

Saying that, they are clearly going to be in breach unless they flog Grealish, and the EFL has to treat Blues and Villa at least consistently, or the whole FFP edifice is coming crashing down. Which might not be a bad thing.

If Villa breach FFP, which seems inevitable, the league have to hit them otherwise every club previously punished will be straight on to the lawyers.

Fairly low risk. If he does well and we end up in 7th then we will have a boatload of cashola swilling around to pay the fee and still get Jiminez permanently along with any other summer business. If he can't cut it in the top flight he goes back and we still have Jiminez and our reasonably tested formation that should get us comfortably mid-table.

I think that they believe they will be allowed to get away with it because of the change of ownership. Spending money putting the house in order as well as on players, and the new owners clearly can afford the outlay so there is no danger of the club going pop, which looked a near certain outcome under Xia.

Saying that, they are clearly going to be in breach unless they flog Grealish, and the EFL has to treat Blues and Villa at least consistently, or the whole FFP edifice is coming crashing down. Which might not be a bad thing.
Unlike the last shower who were in charge they have Christian Purslow running it. I can't see him jeopardising them FFP wise if he thought they were going to breach it or doing so would cause them any material harm and has said as such. I'm convinced a deal was done when they were bought based on how really in the shit they were financially.

Since the new owners have come in they've spent around £12m on transfers, put Grealish on £40k a week and are paying Abraham and Bolasie £135k a week between them.

I just have a hard time believing there are no forwards out there that we can get for a similar price that aren't slightly more exciting than Tammy Abraham.

But I hope he proves me wrong, like Ryan Bennett did for all of us.

I just have a hard time believing there are no forwards out there that we can get for a similar price that aren't slightly more exciting than Tammy Abraham.

But I hope he proves me wrong, like Ryan Bennett did for all of us.

Not sure we will be in rhe market for 'more exciting' and of course we have no idea what the price is going to be

Back