• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Winter 2018/19 Transfer Thread

I haven't seen enough of him to know if he'd fit our system. That Villa forum looks mixed as to whether he can link play well or not.

His goal-scoring record at Championship level is a very impressive 39 goals in 61 appearances. However, he got 5 in 31 for (an albeit struggling) Swansea team last season. He'll need to have more to his game than goal-scoring to make it as a Premier League forward.

I'm sceptical, but £18m is probably worth the risk for a 21 year old England international with that scoring record.

£18m for Abraham is surely no better value than the £18m spent on Traore? Regardless of where you stand on the ability or performance of the latter I don't think many, maybe any, would argue he's proved to be value for money at that price so far?

£18m is the new £2m. It has got to the point in football where numbers mean nothing anymore (certainly when buying from an English club) Trying to work out value fell on its arse when Madine and Hugill moved last January for a combined fee of £16m

£18m is the new £2m. It has got to the point in football where numbers mean nothing anymore (certainly when buying from an English club) Trying to work out value fell on its arse when Madine and Hugill moved last January for a combined fee of £16m

I agree that Tammy* is at least three times better than Gary Madine.

*Shit girls name

I don’t have a problem with it - excellent record at championship level, 21 year old England international, still young with room to develop, instant improvement on Bonatini and if it doesn’t work we get a big chunk of the money back from a championship team anyway.

There's one thing you'll guarantee if we do sign him, the Villa lot will start to slag him off and say he's a waste of money. #readinglite

He's a goal-scorer at Championship level for sure he showed as much at Bristol City. When I saw him at Villa Park against Swansea in October he scored but was otherwise poor. Missed a sitter and wasted a few good chances on the break. As said his link-up play isn't the best and while he is big and strong that can be deceptive. Whenever I saw him play for Swansea he was muscled off the ball quite easily and went to ground quickly looking for the FK. He'd scored 4 goals by mid-October but then only scored once more after that (in April as well) and was out of the team often behind Jordan Ayew.

He's a good Championship poacher by the look of it, don't think he fits the system.

I don’t have a problem with it - excellent record at championship level, 21 year old England international, still young with room to develop, instant improvement on Bonatini and if it doesn’t work we get a big chunk of the money back from a championship team anyway.

£18m for a reserve? We'd never do that...

If he does join let's hope we all give him a fair chance and not start with any preconceived ideas :)

That Villa forum looks mixed as to whether he can link play well or not.

That tells you everything you need to know mate. Villa fans generally think that their good players are the best in the world, look at the fuss they make over that little rat they have prancing around in midfield.

He's scored 16 in 20 for them and they're still not sold on him as a footballer.

Undoubtedly a quality finisher and works hard to lead the line but he's a completely different player to Raúl/Bonatini. £18M is surprisingly cheap though.

If he does join let's hope we all give him a fair chance and not start with any preconceived ideas :)

Oh yes, I'll try and forget I've ever seen him play before.

That always works well.

Think there are a few people on here doing him a disservice, based on their viewings on him from his time at Swansea (and we've seen before that the set up of any side can affect the goal scoring return of any player). He'd have been 19/20 years old, playing in the Premier League for the first time (bar a couple of appearances for Chelsea), and in a struggling side. There's no doubt at 21 years old, with his goalscoring record this season, that he is worth the risk at £18m. If he doesn't work out, you almost certainly make your money back in the future either way.

If you have a look at the video below, you can very quickly see that he is strong with his back to goal, skillful, quick - and a lot of his good play is actually in wide areas. I reckon he'd fit in any of the front three positions in the way we play, which is probably why we're interested in him.

I'd say he's worth a punt for that price. He'd offer us something a bit different, and legitimately has plenty of room to develop. You can't sniff at that goalscoring record either.

If it's a question of either having Bonatini sat on the bench or Abraham challenging Jimenez for a spot in the team, I'd take Abraham any day of the week. It'd totally bugger Villa's season too, which is a nice fringe bonus.

Fucking hell Jinks. 11 seconds into that video and the caption reads:

Weaknesses: Control.

I don't think that lends itself to Nuno's style of play do you?

Trouble is Jinks, too many on here or on Twitter want Sergi Aguero because we're at the dizzy heights and have money.

Fucking hell Jinks. 11 seconds into that video and the caption reads:

Weaknesses: Control.

I don't think that lends itself to Nuno's style of play do you?

And then the top comment says how wrong that is. The glory of the internet :icon_lol:

Trouble is Jinks, too many on here or on Twitter want Sergi Aguero because we're at the dizzy heights and have money.

Yeah, I saw someone yesterday saying we should be in for Rashford...

And then the top comment says how wrong that is. The glory of the internet :icon_lol:

Right, so you put up a highlights video that's wrong in support of a player?

The video is dreadful as it seems to show a lot of him missing easy chances, running down blind alleys and doing lots of stepovers.

Oh yes, I'll try and forget I've ever seen him play before.

That always works well.
Happy to talk through all the games where you've seen him play for 90 minutes.

Back