• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Winter 2018/19 Transfer Thread

Nixon running with the Abraham story now (although he has one of the worst hitrates going)

I really hope that one isn't true. He'd be backup to Raul but I don't think it would improve us at all or suit the system as his link-up play is poor. Whenever I saw him for Swansea he was awful, played like the lovechild of Heskey and Carlton Palmer.

Afobe for 2019. Use him, buy him and sell him for a quick profit to disrespect him.

Nixon running with the Abraham story now (although he has one of the worst hitrates going)
Nixon or Abraham?

Nixon is going in heavy on it though, not just kite flying. I don't see how he fits in any more than I did Afobe.

Perhaps a more potent IF option to complement Raul / replace him at times?

Similar to Origi who we were linked with too.

Also to piss off villa.

Perhaps a more potent IF option to complement Raul / replace him at times?

Similar to Origi who we were linked with too.

Also to piss off villa.

Tammy Abraham as an IF?

Not a chance he can play that role, he is a deluxe Darren Bent. Much like Afobe couldn't play that role and would look out of place. The players we've been linked with so far make no sense to me.

I wouldn't have thought Raul could play there either but he does.

It seems fairly clear to me that we want more pace in the team.

Edit - I've not seen him play much, other than Swansea, but Bent comparison seems harsh.

Not sure if it's been mentioned but the rumoured fee on some places for Hause is £2m. Would be disappointed if it was that low.

I wouldn't have thought Raul could play there either but he does.

It seems fairly clear to me that we want more pace in the team.

Edit - I've not seen him play much, other than Swansea, but Bent comparison seems harsh.

I can't say I saw Raul play at all during his Benfica days but it was quite obvious when he turned out for us in his early appearances that he could play anywhere across the front 3. His touch and work rate (Cardiff being the exception) are fantastic. Tammy Abraham is very poor outside the box.

Seems to be a grey area as to whether he can play for another side this season or not. Depends on whether the Community Shield is classed as a competitive fixture or not.

I can't say I saw Raul play at all during his Benfica days but it was quite obvious when he turned out for us in his early appearances that he could play anywhere across the front 3. His touch and work rate (Cardiff being the exception) are fantastic. Tammy Abraham is very poor outside the box.
Interesting reading on villatalk:

https://www.villatalk.com/topic/17921-tammy-abraham/?page=49

Some saying his hold up play is good, others saying not.

One ITK confirming our interest

Hold up play isn't what we want from our forwards, it's link up play at tempo, there is a difference. Traore has shown he can hold the ball up at times, but he rarely turns it into an effective link.

Was expecting them to want a lot more. Fee is okay considering reputation but I'm not sold on the player.

Hold up play isn't what we want from our forwards, it's link up play at tempo, there is a difference. Traore has shown he can hold the ball up at times, but he rarely turns it into an effective link.

Indeed there is and from what I've seen of Abraham he wouldn't fit into our team.

No doubts he's a very good finisher, much like Traore is a very good dribbler.

£18m for Abraham is surely no better value than the £18m spent on Traore? Regardless of where you stand on the ability or performance of the latter I don't think many, maybe any, would argue he's proved to be value for money at that price so far?

Timbo has confirmed we are "very interested" in him too. I think Spiers has got himself in to a nice position over the last couple of seasons and has a clear link to the club again. Don't get me wrong - he's not getting copied in to emails from Jeff Shi, but I suspect the club as a whole are working on the relationship with the E&S, like they are in many other off field areas.

I didn't realise Tammy Abraham had scored 16 goals in 20 appearances for Villa, either. That's a decent return, even at Championship level.

Yeah, it's not value if you don't think they're up to it. Besides which he's only ever done anything in the Championship, current market value for good performers at that level is pitched some way below that surely.

You wouldn't want say, Neal Maupay at £18m (he is a better footballer than Abraham).

Back