• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Winter 2018/19 Transfer Thread

Just a thought but is how we’ve deployed MGW in the last few games not exactly the kind of thing Leo would be good at? Pick up those positions off the front, get the ball from the midfield and let the inside forwards run off him.

God no - Leo is far too static, and far too slow to be anything like as effective as MGW. He’s a single use player, drop off the front and link play

One of the reasons MGW is so effective is that he can also turn and drive past people - makes it far far harder for the opposition to deal with him as they don’t know what he’s going to do next - with Leo, all he can do is lay it off. Even with Neves and Moutinho, the opposition know they can be pressed as they don’t have that ability to do the unexpected in their locker, you watch MGW, people are far more careful with how and where they press him. It’s quite fascinating actually.

Yeah that’s a fair point, he’s just not mobile enough for this division I guess.

Jiminez on making the move permanent

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/...ns-case-for-wolves-to-make-30m-move-hfl9gvrb8

' Yet having scored the fifth goal of his season-long loan from Benfica to turn a scrappy encounter in his side’s favour, the 27-year-old says that his future remains only partially in his hands.

“I’m going to keep working and doing my job here,” the former Atletico Madrid forward said. “I want people to think I am someone they want to have here. But we have to wait and see what decisions they take.” '

I don't think there is any question that we will want him here. He's a perfect fit for the system and can play wide in the front 3 or in the middle. The only thing that could possibly stop it is the price as what they're asking is a lot of money (even taking current market into account) as good as he is.

I don't think there is any question that we will want him here. He's a perfect fit for the system and can play wide in the front 3 or in the middle. The only thing that could possibly stop it is the price as what they're asking is a lot of money (even taking current market into account) as good as he is.

In footballing terms £30m isn't that much. We were obviously happy to agree that price last Summer and if he continues with his involvement in goals it will be a (footballing) bargain. Essentially his signing would be funded by the increase in TV money when the new deal kicks in next season.

In footballing terms £30m isn't that much. We were obviously happy to agree that price last Summer and if he continues with his involvement in goals it will be a (footballing) bargain. Essentially his signing would be funded by the increase in TV money when the new deal kicks in next season.

I disagree, I am aware that transfer fee's have gone up and strikers come at a premium but £30m is a sizeable chunk of anyone's budget and there wont be that many transfers that have gone over the price that we will have to pay for Jimenez - Wasn't the report 38m Euros? If that's true then it nearly breaks into the top 100 most expensive transfers of all time if this list is accurate - https://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/the...ansfers-of-all-time/ikr3oojohla51fh9adq3qkwpu. The good thing is we are due 12m(?) for Afobe in January so I suppose some of it is offset by that.

If he scores 12 to 15 and assists 10 to 15 in the premier league over a season then he is easily worth £30m

I wouldn't class Jimenez as a £30m player but if Fosun are happy to pay that then that is up to them.

For comparison, Chelsea are reportedly considering a £30m bid for Callum Wilson and I wouldn't say there is too much difference between the 2 players.

I wouldn't class Jimenez as a £30m player but if Fosun are happy to pay that then that is up to them.

For comparison, Chelsea are reportedly considering a £30m bid for Callum Wilson and I wouldn't say there is too much difference between the 2 players.
But Bournemouth won't sell at £30m so that's another consideration. Raul has 3 or 4 top years left so I've come about to thinking it's still a good price but it would have been better if he was younger. We also forget there is a resale value if we only need him for 2 more seasons.

We have heavily scouted a lot of players I imagine! Apparently some of the money generated from the sponsorship of the training ground is going into more money for recruitment (more people going full time)

I couldn't stand the endless puns if we were to sign him.

Like he's pasta his best, etc etc.

I've heard he has a lot of layers to his game....

There are two ways of looking at recruitment in January:

- We are 500/1 to be relegated as it stands (those boys at Ladbrokes don't often get it wrong), January is a pain of a window because teams are so much more reticent to let players go (limited time to replace them, got their own battles to fight), we may as well stay as we are more or less unless something falls into our lap, the strong likelihood is we'll have a good season anyway

- We're in a good position at the moment (even if people are getting a bit carried away with us being 7th), this is a great chance to kick on as players will want to come and join us right now, go and grab whatever we can and build on a position of strength

I don't see us flinging huge sums at it next month so I think we'll be more along the lines of Position A.

Also fuck off with puns, less funny than cracker jokes.

According to the rumours site we have "heavily scouted" Udinese forward Kevin Lasagna https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Lasagna Let the mayhem begin...

tumblr_inline_nbhoriX9Nj1r8b8w5.gif

Couldnt help myself

There are two ways of looking at recruitment in January:

- We are 500/1 to be relegated as it stands (those boys at Ladbrokes don't often get it wrong), January is a pain of a window because teams are so much more reticent to let players go (limited time to replace them, got their own battles to fight), we may as well stay as we are more or less unless something falls into our lap, the strong likelihood is we'll have a good season anyway

- We're in a good position at the moment (even if people are getting a bit carried away with us being 7th), this is a great chance to kick on as players will want to come and join us right now, go and grab whatever we can and build on a position of strength

I don't see us flinging huge sums at it next month so I think we'll be more along the lines of Position A.

Also fuck off with puns, less funny than cracker jokes.

Unless we get significant injuries, we seem to have pretty good cover generally, wing backs aside.

The only thing that has been an issue for me, is the accumulation of bookings. Avoiding suspensions will help, but actually, I suspect that we have sufficient quality to come in for short periods if needed.
I agree that we'll wait until summer.
We might see a bit more out activity, with the possibility of maybe one incoming signing.

Back